Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

THE Country of Turkey Thread (merged)

A forum for discussion of regional topics including oil depletion but also government, society, and the future.

Re: MILITARY COUP IN TURKEY

Unread postby Newfie » Sun 31 Jul 2016, 20:28:47

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-36937891

Tens of thousands of people in Germany have turned out in support of Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan, in a rally that raised diplomatic tensions.

Mr Erdogan had planned to address the rally in the city of Cologne, held to denounce an attempted coup two weeks ago, by video link.

But on Saturday, Germany's Constitutional Court banned the speech from being broadcast.

German media said at least 35,000 people turned out.

An estimated three million people of Turkish origin live in Germany, the majority of whom voted for Mr Erdogan's AKP party in the last Turkish election, according to the Turkish Communities in Germany organisation.

"We are here because our compatriots in Germany advocate democracy and are against the attempted military coup," Turkey's German-born Sport and Youth Minister Akif Cagatay Kilic said in Cologne.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby dissident » Sun 31 Jul 2016, 20:31:43

The comparisons with Hitler are tiresome. It's like some sort of truncated category-think that can be outdone by a piece of software. Turkey is not going to launch a blitzkrieg to take over Europe. Erdogan's Daeshi ambitions are much more realistic and slow-paced. He will try to create a salafi caliphate encompassing all of Central Asia and the Middle East. But this is not going to be done through direct invasion (in the foreseeable future) but via support for jihadis in the whole region. Support for jihadis will be increased including from Saudi Arabia.

It's kind of peculiar that Erdogan is following the US script with illicit support for Wahabbist slime. These failed coups look more and more like orchestrated theater (with Uncle Scam's approval). Of course, on the surface Erdogan looks like he is biting Uncle Scam's hand.
dissident
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Newfie » Sun 31 Jul 2016, 20:36:15

I think this is new news.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world ... 63961.html

Turkey coup attempt: Government cancels 50,000 passports as global concern grows over crackdown

The Turkish government has cancelled the passports of around 50,000 people to prevent them leaving the country as a crackdown continues following a failed coup.

Efkan Ala, the interior minister, said more than 18,000 have so far been detained over the attempt to oust President Tayyip Erdogan, while thousands of government staff are under investigation.

The purges have provoked alarm in the international community, presenting a major stumbling block for Turkey’s campaign to join the European Union.

Turkey shakes up security forces after coup attempt

Amid calls for restraint from the US and European allies, hundreds of listed conscripts were released from detention and Mr Erdogan announced he was dropping prosecutions against around 2,000 people alleged to have “insulted him”.

Military school students were reportedly among 758 out of 989 conscripts released at the request of the Istanbul Chief Public Prosecutor after a court ruled that they did not pose a flight risk.

Mr Erdogan’s government is using powers under Turkey’s state of emergency to conduct a wide-ranging crackdown on alleged supporters of the exiled Muslim cleric Fetullah Gulen, who lives in the US.

Authorities say the failed coup on 15 July was staged by a military faction loyal to the Gulen or “Hismet” movement, but it has denied involvement.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Newfie » Sun 31 Jul 2016, 20:45:09

I didn't ake Cids remark to imply an invasion of Europe but rather the delusions of grandure.

And maybe you are right the USA gave tacit approval. Obama seemed quick to condem the coup.

So now maybe the rabid dog now bites the hand that feeds it? Try's to play Obama against Putin to become the kingmaker in the middle? All the while he sets up his own empire?

One wonders how Isral will respond. Should this threat materialize it will put the Republicans into orbit. The pols will all spin it to effect the elections. Yeah, I can see the USA leadership being paralyzed, or alternatively blundering into some poorly considered response. And one should consider what the EU/NATO think about this. Reaction by committee never works well.

I hope it all blows over. Soon.
Last edited by Newfie on Sun 31 Jul 2016, 21:21:15, edited 2 times in total.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Cid_Yama » Sun 31 Jul 2016, 20:48:54

Incirlik AB has about 1800 US personnel stationed there with perhaps another 1000 deployed there to fight ISIS (mostly pilots & aircraft maintenance). Most are in support positions and thus they have only basic M-16 shooting skills, ie we know which way to point the pointy end of the gun… Security forces number perhaps 200 or so and they would have extensive firearms training. Turkey could easily send in 5000 combat troops and take control of the base after a nasty fire fight with security forces personnel.

link
"For my part, whatever anguish of spirit it may cost, I am willing to know the whole truth; to know the worst and provide for it." - Patrick Henry

The level of injustice and wrong you endure is directly determined by how much you quietly submit to. Even to the point of extinction.
Cid_Yama
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Cid_Yama » Sun 31 Jul 2016, 21:59:31

President Erdogan can now issue direct orders to Turkish military commanders
Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan issued a new presidential decree Sunday that introduced sweeping changes to Turkey’s military in the wake of a July 15 failed coup, bringing the armed forces under his authority.

The decree, the third issued under a three-month state of emergency declared following the attempted coup, gives the president the authority to issue direct orders to the commanders of the army, air force and navy.

It also announces the discharge of 1,389 military personnel, including Erdogan’s chief military adviser, who had been arrested days after the attempted coup, the Chief of General Staff’s charge d’affaires and the defence minister’s chief secretary.

In an interview Saturday with private A Haber television, Erdogan said he also wanted to put the country’s MIT intelligence agency and the chief of general staff’s headquarters under the presidency.

Can you say, "mein Fuhrer"?

Turkey has the 2nd largest military in NATO, second only to the US, all now under his personal control.

Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan on Friday criticized the US intelligence chief and a top general for saying that Washington‘s key interlocutors in Turkey are now either purged or jailed following the failed coup attempt.

"Who are you?" Erdogan said, speaking at Turkey‘s security headquarters in Ankara, which was damaged during the bloody coup attempt. "You should know your place."

Many of our interlocutors have been purged or arrested," US Director of National Intelligence James Clapper said. "There‘s no question this is going to set back and make more difficult cooperation with the Turks."

General Joseph Votel, the chief of US Central Command, spoke in a similar vein. "We are very dependent on Turkey for basing of our resources. I am concerned that it will impact the level of cooperation and collaboration that we have with Turkey.

In his reaction, Erdogan accused US officials of "taking the side of the putschists."

link
"For my part, whatever anguish of spirit it may cost, I am willing to know the whole truth; to know the worst and provide for it." - Patrick Henry

The level of injustice and wrong you endure is directly determined by how much you quietly submit to. Even to the point of extinction.
Cid_Yama
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Cid_Yama » Sun 31 Jul 2016, 22:34:06

The powerful imams in Turkey’s 85,000 mosques played a major role in thwarting the attempt to overthrow President Recep Tayyip Erdogan, and in so doing unleashed attacks on Christian places of worship, reports say.

Christians are pointing to a transformation in the political cultural character of Turkey under Erdogan’s Islamist path to power.

“The reality is that Turkey is neither a democracy nor a secular republic,” said Yuce Kabakci, a pastor in Istanbul. “There is no division between government affairs and religious affairs.”

Gangs chanting “Allahu akbar” smashed the glass frontage of a Protestant church in Matalya, the UK’s Express reported. “The attack on the church was light. But it’s significant that it was the only shopfront attack in those three days,” said the church’s minister, Pastor Tim Stone. “We were the only targets.”

Protestants are not allowed to build churches in Turkey. Even the name church must be coupled to the non-threatening “association.”

In the Black Sea city of Trabzon, the Santa Maria church was hit as, under the guise of an anti-coup protest, demonstrators smashed windows and used hammers to break down the church’s door.

Turkey, which once boasted two million Christians, has barely 120,000 remaining, fewer than Iran.

“There’s is an atmosphere in Turkey right now that anyone who isn’t Sunni is a threat to the stability of the nation,” Kabakci said. “Even the educated classes here don’t associate personally with Jews or Christians. It’s more than suspicion. It’s a case of ‘let’s get rid of anyone who isn’t Sunni.’ ”

An Iranian in Istanbul told the Express that “Turkey is like Iran in 1975. I’m sure we will see it become an Islamic Republic very soon.

link

Erdogan is in the process of establishing a Salafist dictatorship with the second largest military in NATO. With the strategic location of his country, he will be the controlling factor in Middle East policy.

Since he is allied with Saudi Arabia, we can kiss our meager influence goodbye. Give him nukes and he threatens the world.

Since Syria, Iran, and Iraq are aligned with Russia, I say let them worry about it.

We need to get our nukes and get the hell out of there. Imagine if, during the time of the Shah, we had nukes forward based in Iran. Then the Islamic revolution came. That's where we are right now.

Cid_Yama
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby AgentR11 » Sun 31 Jul 2016, 23:36:36

Let me suggest a small thing here.

Erdogan is not allied with Saudi Arabia. Turkey intends to supplant Saudi Arabia as the spiritual and political leader of Sunni Islam; essentially making SA a vassal and caretaker of religious sites, a very submissive, obedient caretaker of religious sites.
Yes we are, as we are,
And so shall we remain,
Until the end.
AgentR11
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Cid_Yama » Mon 01 Aug 2016, 00:02:33

That sounds reasonable. I agree, Erdogan intends to be the leading figure. But currently they do have a military alliance against Syria.

Cid_Yama
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Newfie » Mon 01 Aug 2016, 08:16:05

Maybe he sees himself as the one leader who can coalesce the various factions under a single roof. He may see himself as a great peace maker if he can, through tough leadership bring them all to bear in one combined Islamic force.

Wether he can or not remains to be seen. But I can hear the argument, that if they all fall under his rule and cooperate then they can achieve great things. He may be playing the role of the Great Uniter.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby SeaGypsy » Mon 01 Aug 2016, 08:31:28

http://fortune.com/2016/07/31/eu-turkey ... -worrying/

He's an evil bastard, a rising trend in politics if you keep track of politics these days.
SeaGypsy
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Unread postby dolanbaker » Mon 01 Aug 2016, 11:24:01

Sounds like he is planning to reinvent the Ottoman Empire.
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by rulers as useful.:Anonymous
Our whole economy is based on planned obsolescence.
Hungrymoggy "I am now predicting that Europe will NUKE ITSELF sometime in the first week of January"
dolanbaker
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby dissident » Mon 01 Aug 2016, 17:38:17

AgentR11 wrote:Let me suggest a small thing here.

Erdogan is not allied with Saudi Arabia. Turkey intends to supplant Saudi Arabia as the spiritual and political leader of Sunni Islam; essentially making SA a vassal and caretaker of religious sites, a very submissive, obedient caretaker of religious sites.

Sorry, try again. Wahabbism is at the core of the current Sunni salafism. It is an ideology exported by Saudi Arabia and Erdogan is an ardent believer. To claim that they are not allied is utter nonsense. That's like saying Lenin and Trotsky were enemies. The coordination between Turkey, Saudi Arabia and Qatar in the meddling Syria and support for ISIS/Daesh proves that they are Wahabbi Sunni allies.
dissident
Expert
Expert

Unread postby AgentR11 » Mon 01 Aug 2016, 20:35:02

We'll see soon enough I think. Should be clear within a couple years; easily within the lifespan of threads on this board.

I do agree that they're all Wahabi; but SA and Qatar aren't even in the same league as Turkey. I believe Erdogan wants to be top-dude on the Sunni political pyramid. Also, I didn't say they were enemies, just not allies (though as Cid noted, are allied in one fashion or another in Syria).
Yes we are, as we are,
And so shall we remain,
Until the end.
AgentR11
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby BahamasEd » Mon 01 Aug 2016, 20:45:06

Yes, but when your 'friends' tries to put knife in your back....

You begin to look for new friends
The total energy cost of producing and delivering a gallon of gasoline to the end consumer must be less than the energy in a gallon of gasoline for it to be commercially viable.
BahamasEd
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby Newfie » Mon 01 Aug 2016, 20:58:17

Stalin had Trosky killed.

Just saying.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Whitefang » Tue 02 Aug 2016, 09:34:16

How about a false flag coup, very succesfull as the ruling mob has total power now. Opponents and media have been taken over. Thousands in one swoop....a great succes.

Besides powers that be are prepping for abrupt CC, last man standing....they want war to wipe out the masses
Whitefang
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby dissident » Tue 02 Aug 2016, 21:24:50

Newfie wrote:Stalin had Trosky killed.

Just saying.

Trotsky =/= Stalin. Not every collection of zealots kills itself off. Take the Vatican as an example.
dissident
Expert
Expert

Unread postby dissident » Tue 02 Aug 2016, 21:27:22

Whitefang wrote:How about a false flag coup, very succesfull as the ruling mob has total power now. Opponents and media have been taken over. Thousands in one swoop....a great succes.

Besides powers that be are prepping for abrupt CC, last man standing....they want war to wipe out the masses

This is by far the most likely a false flag coup. Every previous coup in Turkey was successful. Real coup planners would not move with such a joke level of preparation.
dissident
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Cid_Yama » Wed 03 Aug 2016, 08:57:50

Broadcaster NTV earlier reported that police raided the offices of the Scientific and Technological Research Council of Turkey (Tubitak) on Wednesday and detained "many" people.

However, a Tubitak official told Reuters the raid had happened on Sunday, adding he did not have any details about the number of detentions. He declined to comment further.

Tubitak funds science research projects in universities and the private sector and employs more than 1,500 researchers, according to its website.

link

The book burnings come next.

Also, just in, Erdogan says death penalty will be reinstated as the 'people' demand it.

Cid_Yama
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

PreviousNext

Return to Asia Discussion