Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

When a cornucopian rejects Jevons Paradox

General discussions of the systemic, societal and civilisational effects of depletion.

Re: When a cornucopian rejects Jevons Paradox

Unread postby onlooker » Sat 23 Jul 2016, 07:56:27

Sugar I feel for you because some cannot even grasp the most basic of all premises as the one expressed by an Indian proverb. "When the Last Tree Is Cut Down, the Last Fish Eaten, and the Last Stream Poisoned, You Will Realize That You Cannot Eat Money" Well same with Oil, no amount of economic wizardry or shenanigans can compensate for a resource which is limited and being depleted as we speak.
"We are mortal beings doomed to die
onlooker
Fission
Fission

Unread postby AdamB » Sat 23 Jul 2016, 22:42:05

onlooker wrote:Sugar I feel for you because some cannot even grasp the most basic of all premises as the one expressed by an Indian proverb. "When the Last Tree Is Cut Down, the Last Fish Eaten, and the Last Stream Poisoned, You Will Realize That You Cannot Eat Money" Well same with Oil, no amount of economic wizardry or shenanigans can compensate for a resource which is limited and being depleted as we speak.

..began depletion in 1859...was depleting after that...and before you were born....is depleting now...will continue to deplete throughout your grandchildrens lives...any reason you decide to get excited about it today? It didn't bother your grandparents much, has bothered you or I at all across our lifetimes, and will doing what it does long after we are gone. It is like worrying about the sun rising tomorrow because...you know...it can only do that so many times before it doesn't! Hydrogen depletion on the sun...now THERE is something to worry about!!
Plant Thu 27 Jul 2023 "Personally I think the IEA is exactly right when they predict peak oil in the 2020s, especially because it matches my own predictions."

Plant Wed 11 Apr 2007 "I think Deffeyes might have nailed it, and we are just past the overall peak in oil production. (Thanksgiving 2005)"
AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby onlooker » Sat 23 Jul 2016, 23:39:37

Amazing. Even as the so called moderates and cornies like to bemoan that we doomers are always read to shout doom at any event. You guys are always ready to say that because something did not happen it the past it will not happen in the future. Well to that I have two replies. First correlation is not causation and second I do not ascribe to unicorn theories of abiotic oil, so oil most certainly is finite and limited.
"We are mortal beings doomed to die
onlooker
Fission
Fission

Unread postby Whatever » Sun 24 Jul 2016, 01:48:55

AdamB wrote:It (worrying about oil depletion) is like worrying about the sun rising tomorrow because...you know...it can only do that so many times before it doesn't! Hydrogen depletion on the sun...now THERE is something to worry about!!

I guess the only thing dumber than worrying about oil depletion would be worrying about people who worry about oil depletion. Why do you spend all your time doing that?

So you think the sun will burn out before we have to worry about oil depletion? Amazing. 8O

---Futilitist 8)
Whatever
Permanently Banned

Previous

Return to Peak Oil Discussion