Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

THE Country of Turkey Thread (merged)

A forum for discussion of regional topics including oil depletion but also government, society, and the future.

Re: Turkey: we can occupy Russia in under a week

Unread postby Makati1 » Sun 27 Dec 2015, 04:22:30

Wow! The American Bullshit is flowing heavily in the above comments. The 'exceptional' brainwashing is more complete than I thought. I could pick out many examples, but it is obvious in most of the posts. Proof that we are closer to the nuclear war than I thought. The American and European Serfs are being primed for war big time and don't even realize it. Go for it boy. When the mushrooms appear over European cities and minutes later, over American cities, just remember that I told you so. I'll be 10,000 miles away. LMAO
Makati1
Wood
Wood

Unread postby SeaGypsy » Sun 27 Dec 2015, 05:25:21

If you are in Makati you are living in hell every day. The 'glamour' of Manila, yuck.
SeaGypsy
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Unread postby dissident » Sun 27 Dec 2015, 11:23:01

SeaGypsy wrote:If you are in Makati you are living in hell every day. The 'glamour' of Manila, yuck.

Yes, but I think it will be places like this that will survive after NATO takes itself out by attacking Russia (and China).
dissident
Expert
Expert

Unread postby AgentR11 » Sun 27 Dec 2015, 11:52:16

You Russians are crazy. We aren't going to invade Russia, nor China. The most we're up for is some border skirmishes (preferably with proxies like ISIS, NUSRA, FSA(Fighting for Saudi Arabia), etc... and maybe some naval fights, and that's a stretch. Neither of which results in either of us taking each other out.

Even in the most radical NATO fantasy, where Russia invades Estonia to slay the evil racists that live there; we'd fight almost exclusively in Estonia with perhaps some battle eb and flow within the frontier area of Russia. NATO is very poorly configured to sustain and hold territory within Russia. Its just not going to happen.

I know yall can't help yourself thinking the nasty German Huns will come raping and pillaging into Russia again; but I think they're mostly worn out now and not interested; and we can't even manage to occupy Iraq without spending hundreds upon hundreds of billions of dollars.
Yes we are, as we are,
And so shall we remain,
Until the end.
AgentR11
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

6/28/2016 Istanbul Terror Bombing

Unread postby Tanada » Tue 28 Jun 2016, 17:25:38

ISTANBUL (AP) — Two explosions have rocked Istanbul's Ataturk airport, killing at least 10 people and wounding around 20 others, Turkey's justice minister and another official said Tuesday.

Bekir Bozdag said that according to preliminary information, "a terrorist at the international terminal entrance first opened fire with a Kalashnikov and then blew himself up."

Another official said two attackers detonated explosives at the entrance of the international terminal after police fired at them.

The official, who spoke on condition of anonymity in line with government protocol, said he was citing information from the interior ministry. It wasn't immediately clear why his account of the number of attackers was different to the justice minister's.

The official said the attackers blew themselves up before entering the x-ray security check at the airport entrance.

Turkish airports have security checks at both at the entrance of terminal buildings and then later before entry to departure gates.

Roads around the airport were sealed off for regular traffic after the attack and several ambulances could be seen driving back and forth.

The private DHA news agency said the wounded, among them police officers, were being transferred to Bakirkoy State Hospital.

Turkey has suffered several bombings in recent months linked to Kurdish or Islamic State group militants.

The bombings included two in Istanbul targeting tourists — which the authorities have blamed on the Islamic State group.

The attacks have increased in scale and frequency, scaring off tourists and hurting the economy, which relies heavily on tourism revenues.

Istanbul's Ataturk Airport was the 11th busiest airport in the world last year, with 61.8 million passengers, according to Airports Council International. It is also one of the fastest-growing airports in the world, seeing 9.2 percent more passengers last year than in 2014.

The largest carrier at the airport is Turkish Airlines, which operates a major hub there. Low-cost Turkish carrier Onur Air is the second-largest airline there.

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/fdfd3610 ... le-injured
Alfred Tennyson wrote:We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: 6/28/2016 Istanbul Terror Bombing

Unread postby SeaGypsy » Tue 28 Jun 2016, 18:04:04

Yesterday Turkey apologized to Russia about their jet fighter & to the pilots family. Today IS blows up the airport.
SeaGypsy
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Re: 6/28/2016 Istanbul Terror Bombing

Unread postby Plantagenet » Thu 30 Jun 2016, 20:01:25

GASMON wrote:I honestly do not understand what gets into a persons mind to do acts like this. Just beyond my comprehension.

Gas

Turkey is at war with the Islamic State. Turkish troops are occupying part of norther Syria, Turkey shells IS positions in Syria, and Turkey provides bases for US warplanes attacking IS.

The Islamic State planned this attack on the airport in Istanbul to get back at Turkey.

The 3 IS fighters who actually attacked the airport see themselves as Islamic warriors and Jihadis fighting for the Caliphate against infidels and unbelievers. They believe they will go to paradise in Islamic heaven immediately after they are killed in the suicide attack.
Never underestimate the ability of Joe Biden to f#@% things up---Barack Obama
-----------------------------------------------------------
Keep running between the raindrops.
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

MILITARY COUP IN TURKEY

Unread postby Sixstrings » Fri 15 Jul 2016, 17:06:08

BREAKING NEWS: Turkish military launch attempted coup to depose government as gunfire and low flying jets heard over Ankara

Fast attack jets and helicopters were heard above Ankara and Istanbul after the military confirmed they had seized control of the country. Istanbul's Bosphorus Bridge and Fatih Sultan Mehmet Bridge were both closed after the military deployed roadblocks.
Tracer fire from Turkish military helicopters was spotted over Ankara.

In a statement sent by email and reported on Turkish TV channels, the military said all of Turkey's existing foreign relations would be maintained and that the rule of law would remain the priority. According to the military tonight's action will 'reinstall the constitutional order, democracy, human rights and freedoms, to ensure that the rule of law once again reigns in the country, for the law and order to be reinstated'.

The military statement went on to say that 'all international agreements and commitments will remain. We pledge that good relations with all world countries will continue'. Troops have rounded up police officers loyal to the government, according to witnesses. CNN Turkey showed two military vehicles and a group of soldiers lined up at the entrance of one of the bridges in Turkey's biggest city.

A Turkish official who did not want to be named said soldiers had been deployed in other cities in Turkey, but did not specify which ones. Dogan News Agency reported the national police directorate summoned all police to duty in Ankara. Turkish fighter jets have been reported over Ankara.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3692693/Turkish-military-launch-attempted-coup-depose-government.html

'We have taken control': Turkish military launch coup to depose Islamist government of Recep Erdogan as troops round up police, attack the capital, seize all airports and put tanks on the streets

The Turkish military has announced it has taken control and overthrown the government of Recep Erdogan as troops round up police and attack the capital Ankara. ...

US Secretary of State John Kerry said he hoped the crisis in Turkey would soon be resolved while preserving peace, stability and a respect for 'continuity'.

Turkey's top general has been taken hostage at the military headquarters in the capital Ankara after an attempt to bring down the government, the state-run Anadolu news agency reported.

'General Hulusi Akar has been taken hostage by a group in the military who attempted an uprising.'

Troops have rounded up police officers loyal to the government, according to witnesses.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3692693/Turkish-military-launch-attempted-coup-depose-government.html

In the skies of Ankara fighter jets flying low Turkey COUP ATTEMPT
https://youtu.be/YgUCkq-UkGc

Army forces control bridges, airports and public radio broadcast
https://youtu.be/orTsIwQYqSU

Tanks in turkey after the coup
https://youtu.be/CxKf2cl7LFU
Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Re: MILITARY COUP IN TURKEY

Unread postby GHung » Fri 15 Jul 2016, 17:40:46

Well chit. Some folks have all the fun.

Grab yer pitchforks fellas!
Blessed are the Meek, for they shall inherit nothing but their Souls. - Anonymous Ghung Person
GHung
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Sixstrings » Fri 15 Jul 2016, 18:09:43

GHung wrote:Well chit. Some folks have all the fun.

Grab yer pitchforks fellas!

Well we'll see what happens, whether more of the people support the secular military, or if Erdogan's supporters take to the streets (he's been calling for people to come out to support his government).

Hopefully things are peaceful and it doesn't devolve into any kind of civil war and mass turmoil.

My own opinion: I'm not an expert about Turkey, but generally..

* Turkey has a history of coups before, in years past.

* Per CNN, the military sees themselves as the safeguards of secular control whenever the government gets out of hand.

* Generally, what's been going on during the Erdogan years is that he appealed to hardline conservative muslim voters in Turkey, and he dragged the country more islamist. Which was very unpopular with Turks that wanted to keep the country secular. (turkey has a tradition of being more secular, than anything fundy muslim)

* Erdogan is unpopular recently, because he had a history of helping / enabled ISIS, and now with terrorism out of control in Turkey, many blame Erdogan. Which is one of the reasons the military has launched the coup to depose the Erdogan government.

Latest news is that the mayor of Ankara is in Erdogan's ruling party, and he's called for government supporters to take to the streets. But so far the streets are quiet.

There are some reports of clashes between government-loyal police, and the Turkish military.

Erdogan has been a very authoritarian dictator strongman Putin type.

Turkish politics is complicated.. and then there's all the problems with the kurdish party / Erdogan brutally suppressing them at times.

Skynews reports that Erdogan is "enormously divisive," the people are divided and either love him or loathe him.

I think my sympathies would lean with the secular side, since Erdogan has been taking the country more islamist -- and it ain't like the world needs more of that.

Turkey is traditionally secular.. the world needs more secular moderate islam, less hardliner fundy.. the people that would be backing the military, want Turkey to get back to a more a western secular direction.

Some latest news.. tanks surrounding the parliament, reports of fighting.. and there was a large explosion at the state tv HQ.

It's unclear as yet where this is headed. Government has the police and special forces loyal to it, versus the national military. The military placed the Erdogan-appointed top general under house arrest.

Erdogan supporters are saying "you can't destroy democracy in the name of freedom," while opponents are saying they can't stand his autocratic despotic rule anymore.
Last edited by Sixstrings on Fri 15 Jul 2016, 18:22:17, edited 1 time in total.
Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby dolanbaker » Fri 15 Jul 2016, 18:22:06

There are a number of reports of gunfire in Ankara and possible civilian casualties.
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by rulers as useful.:Anonymous
Our whole economy is based on planned obsolescence.
Hungrymoggy "I am now predicting that Europe will NUKE ITSELF sometime in the first week of January"
dolanbaker
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Sixstrings » Fri 15 Jul 2016, 18:34:55

dolanbaker wrote:There are a number of reports of gunfire in Ankara and possible civilian casualties.

It's certainly said, hopefully Turkey doesn't devolve into full on civil war / chaos / war all over it. Which the rest of NATO certainly can't be having.. so that's a very sticky situation.

Western governments are torn -- they know Erdogan has been becoming ever more of an authoritarian dictator, yet how can the West support democracy being overthrown? And most of all, the West doesn't want civil war and full on chaos in Turkey.

I was watching CNN, some reporting on there.. the run-up to this thing was that Erdogan made a move to gather even more power to the presidency. His PM opposed it. Then Erdogan pushed out the prime minister.

So it's a situation where this is a military coup in a democratic country.. yet the president of that country has been turning it into a dictatorship.
Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Plantagenet » Fri 15 Jul 2016, 18:41:20

I visited Turkey about 3 years ago. The Turks I met were mostly well-educated and western-leaning. They despised the increasing Islamization of Turkey under Erdogan. They fearedthe growing influence of Islam in Turkey and they hated seeing overt signs of Islam...like the growing numbers of women wearing Burkhas on the streets of Istanbul---the Turks I met wanted Turkey to be a modern, western leaning country.

Never underestimate the ability of Joe Biden to f#@% things up---Barack Obama
-----------------------------------------------------------
Keep running between the raindrops.
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Cog » Fri 15 Jul 2016, 18:46:06

I support this coup.
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Sixstrings » Fri 15 Jul 2016, 18:48:49

Very sad, on CNN now they're showing Erdogan supporting civilians confronting the military and the military firing, some civilians hit.

An analyst on CNN was just saying that Erdogan created a situation where the people either love him, or loathe him, and that "unfortunately there's no peaceful way for Turkey to find its way out of this" other than these two sides fighting it out.

Note: I'm not saying I agree with this, I'm just saying what the analyst said on CNN just now.

It's a bad situation, the analyst said Turkey is a country that usually has no history of the military firing on civilians. So it must be bad, for it to come to this.

Erdogan's government has lost support of the military institution; and so they called for these civilians to take to the streets, that was irresponsible.

It's a democracy -- but yet Erdogan was making it not a democracy, he was making it a dictatorship.
Last edited by Sixstrings on Fri 15 Jul 2016, 19:05:00, edited 5 times in total.
Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Subjectivist » Fri 15 Jul 2016, 18:58:52

GASMON wrote:It's World war 3 Jim, but not as we know it.

Gas

Hey when Did Dr. Demento make it to the UK?
II Chronicles 7:14 if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.
Subjectivist
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby SeaGypsy » Fri 15 Jul 2016, 19:08:02

There is nothing bad about it 6 sound like you would rather he was installed as Dictator for Life, as he was clearly aiming.

Makes perfect sense really, yesterday 1 scumbag proved exactly how evil Salafism is, today Salafism loses it's most powerful head of State. Poetic.
SeaGypsy
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Unread postby Sixstrings » Fri 15 Jul 2016, 19:43:05

SeaGypsy wrote:There is nothing bad about it 6 sound like you would rather he was installed as Dictator for Life, as he was clearly aiming.

Oh goodness no, I said it many times before, about these brewing problems with Erdogan and how he's been making Turkey ever more a dictatorship and fundy muslim when Turkey was never meant to be like that, since the days of Attaturk.

Attaturk is the one that gave the military the charter to ensure the country never be fundy muslim controlled, and that it remain secular.

I was just watching CNN, and they were saying that it's actually *in the Turkish constitution* that the military has the ultimate authority there to make sure the place stays secular and western.

What's been going on is Erdogan's been chipping away at that.. making it ever more fundy muslim. He recently jailed some Turkish military leaders, and weakening the power of the military.

As we all know, Erdogan -- FOR YEARS now -- has been chipping away at democracy in general, seizing all powers to himself, making Turkey a dictatorship. And then Erdogan's got his fundamentalist muslim base to back him up.

It's sad, Turkey was not supposed to be like that.. per the father of the country, Attaturk.

What's also SAD though -- and a big national security problem -- is if this developed into a full on civil war.

What the RIGHT thing to do, YEARS AGO, would have been for EU and US governments to have already stepped in about Erdogan. The man has been driving out secular western values, from Turkey, which is the LAST thing Europe should be for.

LATEST NEWS --

On CNN, one of Erdogan's senior advisers says this is a coup from a "faction" in the military, but not the whole military. Just to note, Turkey has the 2nd largest military in NATO. CNN also reported that one of the fighter jets over Ankara was pro Erdogan, and shot down a pro coup helicopter.

It's unclear where this thing is going, right now.

Maybe it will be a failed coup -- Obama administration has just announced support for the Erdogan government:

Obama and Kerry Back Turkish Government

“The president and secretary agreed that all parties in Turkey should support the democratically-elected government of Turkey, show restraint, and avoid any violence or bloodshed,” the statement read. “The secretary underscored that the State Department will continue to focus on the safety and security of U.S. citizens in Turkey.
http://www.nytimes.com/live/turkey-coup-erdogan/obama-and-kerry/
Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

PreviousNext

Return to Asia Discussion