Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Delta Puts Idled Refinery Back In Service

Discussions about the economic and financial ramifications of PEAK OIL

Re: Delta Puts Idled Refinery Back In Service

Unread postby AirlinePilot » Sat 28 Dec 2013, 02:06:05

Rockman,

While the jury will remain out for a while longer on this....if you listen to Ed talk, or Richard for that matter, you have to understand something, and I am sure you know this....They are speaking to investors and wall street. They are cunning, but they also lie very well. I have witnessed that first hand. My whole point in posting this today is compared to what they were saying in 2012 I dont think this thing is panning out quite the way they painted it back in 11 and 12. I think the only real benefit here will hopefully turn out to be a controlled supply for us, and a possible reduction or even elimination of crack costs for Delta.

Which aint a bad thing, but I still think they have a bunch of landmines to step around. I really think they are or were hiding something with all the talk about Sandy. Philadelphia had MINIMAL impacts from that storm. A lot depends on where rail costs go and how long the supply can keep flowing from the Bakken before prices for WTI begin rising again. I do know they are paying more than planned for oil arriving by rail and have been since that started a while ago.
AirlinePilot

Re: Delta Puts Idled Refinery Back In Service

Unread postby Tanada » Sat 09 Jul 2016, 11:56:19

Delta Air Lines is taking a $450 million loss because jet fuel prices didn't jump as much as the airline bet they would.

The Atlanta-based airline had locked in fuel purchases, in a contract known as a hedge, at levels above the current market value, betting that jet fuel prices prices would climb. And they did indeed rise. But they didn't go nearly as high as Delta had anticipated, which made that hedge a loser. So Delta pulled out of the fuel contracts, which cost the airline nearly half a billion dollars.

Shares of Delta (DAL) fell 4% in midday trading Tuesday.

But it's not all bad news for Delta. Fuel prices are up 60% from their January lows, but they're down 20% from a year ago. So, even with the cost of canceling its fuel contract, Delta will save money on fuel, which is its second largest expense, in the second quarter.

Delta took an even bigger hit on hedges last year -- $2.3 billion according to company filings -- as fuel prices fell throughout the year. It lost another $274 million on hedges in the first three months of this year.

Delta is not the only airline to take a hit on fuel hedges. United Continental (UAL) lost $604 million last year. Southwest (LUV) said in a March SEC filing that it could lose more than $1 billion on its hedges in the coming years, after losing $254 million in 2015.P

Most carriers buy hedges to protect them from unexpected price spikes. American Airlines (AAL) is the only one out of the nation's four biggest carriers that doesn't do fuel hedges. Its executives are on the record as saying that they're a bad bet.

http://money.cnn.com/2016/07/05/news/co ... el-hedges/
Alfred Tennyson wrote:We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Economics & Finance