Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

What the auto makers think about the future of oil

General discussions of the systemic, societal and civilisational effects of depletion.

Re: What the auto makers think about the future of oil

Unread postby dolanbaker » Tue 22 Mar 2011, 06:22:27

Lore wrote:40K+ electric vehicles will never be purchased by a society making Wal-Mart wages.

Ain't that the truth! With the western world gradually reverting back to victorian standards of living, with 90%+ living just above subsistance levels, the costs of running an ICE car being too high except for low mileage users and buying EV's being out of reach.
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by rulers as useful.:Anonymous
Our whole economy is based on planned obsolescence.
Hungrymoggy "I am now predicting that Europe will NUKE ITSELF sometime in the first week of January"
dolanbaker
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Tue 22 Mar 2011, 07:59:12

8) Hey I had a Pontiac "Vega" back in 75. It got 27mpg. Speedometer only went to 80 but it could do it in third gear with two gears to go. Had the needle pointed straight down over the odometer more then once which is about 110 mph by the tack. Lets not talk about engine oil consumption.
I'm looking for a upgrade in my commuting ride for this summers stimulus work. I'm presently driving a Ford Ranger beater with 260K on it. A used '07 with 32K on it will set me back $13,000. The lying crack weasel salesman says that is a low as they can go on it. A new one is $26,000 more or less and this is supposed to be the last year they are going to make them. I asked what Ford was going to replace it with and they said bigger F150 etc. I laughed at him and pointed to the line of F150s thur F350s sitting there with $35,000 stickers on them and fuel consumption stickers as low as 15 mpg. See any customers in that line waiting to buy.? Not a one. At $4.00 gas that whole line was junk the second it rolled off the line and a year from now gas will be $6.00. Good luck selling them.
He don't like me very much. :razz:
I got on the net of course to shop around a bit. ended up at Fords site and "Built my own" Ranger. Trouble is they won't let you build it the way you want. You can't get 4wd without an extra cab and the big engine. Even when you do accept the closest compromise they make the trucks that are acutely available are only a 70% match to what you built and all the differences cost more. I should go with 2wd and some real gas savings but this is probably the last new truck I might buy and I do live on a mountain with five miles of muddy steep roads to drive on a regular basis.
Another dealer was showing me a just taken in Chevy Z71 that still had beer cans melting out of the snow in the back. Truck had a big V8 and Toyota literature in the cab. I wonder why they traded?
Compare that to cars available in Europe that GET over 75 miles per gallon and the US auto industry still has a big awakening to go through.
vtsnowedin
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby furrybill » Tue 22 Mar 2011, 15:17:17

Lore wrote:40K+ electric vehicles will never be purchased by a society making Wal-Mart wages.

Actually I think it's very low priced considering it's a prototype. Demand seems high even at that price. Give GM a few years of working the kinks out and improving the technology and ramping up production and I've got a feeling you'll soon have a much better car for half the price.

It's far from perfect but it's a step in the right direction.
furrybill
Peat
Peat

Unread postby Tanada » Sat 11 Jun 2016, 16:14:30

Peak Oil is so YESTERDAY.........
Remember peak oil theory? It was all the rage just a few years ago.

Serious books were devoted to the idea that the world was running out of crude. Deep thinkers pontificated about its potentially dire impact on human civilization.

But then all that peak oil talk peaked. Thanks to the fracking revolution, it became clear that the world actually has plenty of oil. Supplies can now be turned on or off almost at will, as prices rise and fall.

Turns out the future is a lot harder to predict than the peakists thought. But once a peakist, always a peakist. It seems to be a tough habit to break.

Now they’re busy predicting other peaks. Such as: the planet’s peak carrying capacity; peak sustainable population levels; peak food production; peak allowable carbon emissions levels; peak stock market levels; and of course, peak auto.

Yep, peak auto. It’s a major focus right now in the car business, where a growing number of analysts fret that North American auto sales have already hit a ceiling, and are destined to flatline or even head south.

There is some sense to this, of course. As the old stock market adage goes, trees don’t grow to the sky. And so it is with auto sales, which have set annual records for several years running and may be poised to run out of gas, as interest rates rise and the economic recovery matures.

The fear of softer sales ahead is reflected in the sluggish stock prices of major auto manufacturers such as General Motors and Ford, and the weak performance of key Canadian auto parts suppliers such as Magna International and Linamar, which topped out a year ago.

Despite a big stock market rally since February, Magna’s share price remains nearly 30 per cent below its 52-week high, while Linamar is down almost 40 per cent. Both stocks trade at rock-bottom price-earnings multiples of less than 10 times.

It’s a similar story with GM. After posting record annual profits last year and stronger first-quarter earnings, GM’s shares have backtracked this year, sliding about 13 per cent. Since December 2013, the shares are down about 28 per cent.

GM’s languishing stock even prompted company CEO Mary Barra to complain publicly Tuesday at the company’s annual meeting in Detroit.

“I absolutely think, and we think, we’re undervalued right now,” she said. “We’re going to continue to work to keep making sure people understand exactly the mission of General Motors and what we’re working toward. I believe that as we continue to do that, that’s something that will take care of itself.”

Well, maybe. And maybe not. For now, it’s all about the fear of peak auto, says David Whiston, an analyst with Morningstar in Chicago.

“This is the biggest issue for investors,” he told Bloomberg. “A lot of people think it’s peak auto and there’s no reason to own auto stocks right now.”

Besides growing angst over the prospect of weaker sales, the industry is rattled by fears of potentially disruptive technological change, from self-driving cars to ride-sharing services that could curb demand for new vehicles.

LMC Automotive, a U.S.-based industry consulting firm, recently cut its 2016 U.S. vehicle sales forecast by 100,000 units to 17.7 million. Although that’s still above last year’s record of just under 17.5 million units, the pace of growth is slowing, it noted.

“Vehicle sales growth appears to be flattening out,” Jeff Schuster, LMC’s chief forecaster, told Automotive News, a leading industry trade publication.

“While this is driven by an array of variables, including slow economic growth and stock market volatility, a pattern is emerging sooner than anticipated. While we do not anticipate a retraction in volume over the next 12­-18 months, strong year­-over-­year growth will be difficult to come by.”

Not everyone buys the peak auto theory, however. Carlos Gomes, senior economist and auto industry analyst at Scotiabank, says the current auto sales cycle will run stronger and longer than the naysayers predict.

He expects Canadian car and light truck sales to reach 1.9 million units this year, a hair above last year’s record tally, while U.S. sales reach a record 17.7 million units.

“U.S. households are in much better financial shape than they have been in quite a while. At the same time the average age of the U.S. vehicle fleet is at record highs, so that tells you that there is still significant replacement demand ahead,” he says.

“Most other analysts I guess are looking at the fact that we’ve had an extended cycle and the fact that credit has been fairly easy, so the fear is that as rates potentially go up, that could tighten and cause auto sales to soften. That’s the debate that’s going on.”

As for me, I side with Gomes. Any rise in U.S. interest rates is likely to be gradual and protracted. Meanwhile, the U.S. labour market, despite last month’s weak jobs report, has tightened considerably over the past year or two, while U.S. house prices have steadily climbed.

The wealth effect from higher house prices and the probability of higher wage gains ahead should provide enough fuel to keep auto sales humming for at least another couple of years, and maybe longer.

http://edmontonjournal.com/opinion/colu ... -peak-auto
Alfred Tennyson wrote:We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby ralfy » Sun 12 Jun 2016, 03:14:30

"Toyota's Jim Lentz Predicts Peak Oil by 2020"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVEZE2vM2oM
ralfy
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Tanada » Sun 12 Jun 2016, 10:05:40

ralfy wrote:"Toyota's Jim Lentz Predicts Peak Oil by 2020"

Well that was seven years ago, I wonder if Toyota's internal management culture still believes it?
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Newfie » Sun 12 Jun 2016, 10:13:45

And people argue that humans are an intelligent species. Sheesh!
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby AdamB » Sun 12 Jun 2016, 16:20:28

Fortunate indeed that the last time I scoped out the classifieds, there were used Leaf's coming off lease with 10K miles for $12G's. Volts with 20k miles for $18Gs.

Why in the world would anyone pay $40G when they are nearly giving away lightly used ones?

The wife's bank just built a new office building and parking complex for all their new office building, 4 spots for EVs, free fuel for the wife's Ford. No complaints here. Almost lamenting the days of $4/gal. The whole "peak oil means plenty of cheap supply" has really taken the fun out of free fuel and not using any gasoline.
Plant Thu 27 Jul 2023 "Personally I think the IEA is exactly right when they predict peak oil in the 2020s, especially because it matches my own predictions."

Plant Wed 11 Apr 2007 "I think Deffeyes might have nailed it, and we are just past the overall peak in oil production. (Thanksgiving 2005)"
AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby ennui2 » Sun 12 Jun 2016, 16:27:10

dolanbaker wrote:

Ain't that the truth! With the western world gradually reverting back to victorian standards of living, with 90%+ living just above subsistance levels, the costs of running an ICE car being too high except for low mileage users and buying EV's being out of reach.

You'd be surprised what people can afford when they adopt more of a communal extended living arrangement. In other words, one house per household rather than one per person. If that car can act like an automated chauffeur, all the easier to share, assuming they don't just use an Uber service instead.
"If the oil price crosses above the Etp maximum oil price curve within the next month, I will leave the forum." --SumYunGai (9/21/2016)
ennui2
Permanently Banned

Unread postby StarvingLion » Sun 12 Jun 2016, 17:49:05

Thanks to the fracking revolution, it became clear that the world actually has plenty of oil. Supplies can now be turned on or off almost at will, as prices rise and fall.

Quantity Analysis of Petroleum: "Plenty of oil" [from shale]

Goldman Sachs Software: "Prices rise and fall"

REALITY: Shale is Subprime oil, Auto Buyer is Subprime customer

ECONOMY: Pump and Dump financial assets, can employees like crazy
Outcast_Searcher is a fraud.
StarvingLion
Permanently Banned

Unread postby ralfy » Sun 12 Jun 2016, 19:54:04

Tanada wrote:

Well that was seven years ago, I wonder if Toyota's internal management culture still believes it?

Found only this through a quick search:

http://acl.kaist.ac.kr/techtrend/27548? ... d=document
ralfy
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby ralfy » Sun 12 Jun 2016, 19:56:17

Also, various banks, insurers, and oil companies also refer to peak oil. Several are linked in the resource page in my signature.
ralfy
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby AdamB » Mon 13 Jun 2016, 16:27:22

And the masses continue to predict peak oil ever closer to the EIA date of 2037.....showing yet again that when government bureaucrats are oft-maligned, even they know more than the pundits of peak oil.
Plant Thu 27 Jul 2023 "Personally I think the IEA is exactly right when they predict peak oil in the 2020s, especially because it matches my own predictions."

Plant Wed 11 Apr 2007 "I think Deffeyes might have nailed it, and we are just past the overall peak in oil production. (Thanksgiving 2005)"
AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby AdamB » Mon 13 Jun 2016, 16:38:52

StarvingLion wrote:REALITY: Shale is Subprime oil, Auto Buyer is Subprime customer

When shale gas began production in 1825, there wasn't really anything called sub prime. And if you can't afford a car, even a cheap EV far below the median car price, I recommend acquiring training, working your way up the corporate ladder by working hard and knocking off the less capable competition, but by all means if you haven't the work ethic required to get ahead in the world, don't buy any car! No point, GovCo will send your stipend for whichever scheme you choose (welfare, workers comp, ssi disability, unemployment) direct to your account, no need to even have a car to pick up the check.

It should be noted that those producing shale oil and gas back before most of us were born (the Big Sandy gas field jumps to mind, with its TCFs of natural gas being produced prior to WWII) probably didn't even borrow much money to do it. Let's hear it for the bootstrapping potential of Rockman and his friends in industry!

StarvingLion wrote:ECONOMY: Pump and Dump financial assets, can employees like crazy

Well, I am the first to admit, when someone can't do the job they were hired for, or economic conditions for corporations change, they will begin to winnow the herd. See above for how not to be part of the herd.

AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby ennui2 » Tue 14 Jun 2016, 03:34:23

AdamB wrote:Well, I am the first to admit, when someone can't do the job they were hired for, or economic conditions for corporations change, they will begin to winnow the herd. See above for how not to be part of the herd.

Don't bother responding to StarvingLion. He has a screw loose and all he ever wants to do is find something to whine about.
"If the oil price crosses above the Etp maximum oil price curve within the next month, I will leave the forum." --SumYunGai (9/21/2016)
ennui2
Permanently Banned

Unread postby Tanada » Tue 14 Jun 2016, 09:56:49

As the biggest global seller of energy-efficient vehicles, Toyota uses proceeds from its green bonds "quickly" said Adam Stam, national manager of secured funding at Toyota Financial Services. The funding from the green bonds is invisible to consumers and dealers, but assigned on the back end to financing for eight vehicle models, such as Toyota’s Prius and Camry Hybrid, and the CT 200h and ES 300h from Lexus, he said.

Hyundai Motor Co., which plans to launch 26 alternative fuel vehicles by 2020, also ventured into market in March when its financial arm issued $500 million in green bonds.

Toyota and Hyundai’s green bonds, which fund consumer purchases, are similar to standard automotive asset-backed securities. The total automotive ABS market was about $191 billion in the first quarter, according to the Securities Industry and Financial Markets Association.

The new bonds come as the markets for both electric vehicles and green bonds are growing. About $46 billion of green bonds were issued in 2015, and that could rise to $56 billion this year, according to Bloomberg New Energy Finance. Global electric vehicle sales are projected to hit 41 million by 2040, representing 35 percent of new light duty vehicle sales, according to BNEF.

Chinese electrical vehicle companies are growing interested in green bonds, according to Sean Kidney, chief executive of the Climate Bonds Initiative. "China has a very active program of switching vehicles to electrical for both air pollution and climate change reasons," he said.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/ ... c-vehicles
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Zarquon » Tue 14 Jun 2016, 17:07:50

Zarquon
Lignite
Lignite

Previous

Return to Peak Oil Discussion