Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Dr. James Hanson testifes before Congress 1988

Dr. James Hanson testifes before Congress 1988

Unread postby onlooker » Wed 25 May 2016, 13:45:28

Here is an excerpt from an article explaining some of the reactions to the testimony of Dr James Hanson the eminent Earth Scientist before Congress in 1988 testifying of the dangers and trends already present with regards to AGW. "The smears and propaganda began almost immediately from contrarians such as Patrick Michaels and a snake-oil salesman named S. Fred Singer. Eventually, it became known that both men (and others) were part of a well-financed campaign on the part of fossil-fuel companies to persuade Americans (and politicians) that global warming was a hoax and that Hansen and other scientists sounding the alarm were fools or worse."
Here is the the printed version which Hansen used to testify. It is 24 pages long in PDF format. http://pubs.giss.nasa.gov/docs/1988/198 ... etal_1.pdf
"We are mortal beings doomed to die
onlooker
Fission
Fission

Re: Dr. James Hanson testifes before Congress 1988

Unread postby Subjectivist » Wed 25 May 2016, 13:48:58

I remember that testimony. Back then I used to watch PBS news with McNiel-Lehrer because it seemed more balanced than the stuff you get on commercial TV. They didn't show the whole thing of course, but the excerpts they did show got my attention because at the time we were in a major drought and we were setting high temperature records.
II Chronicles 7:14 if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.
Subjectivist
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby Tanada » Wed 25 May 2016, 15:34:31

I remember what a miserable summer 1988 was around here so in light of this thread I looked it up. Where I was working outside that summer on June 26 we hit 102 F and in the midst of the heat wave we hit 100 again on July 7th. That was the summer I accidentally started a grass fire when a backfire from the engine ignited the bone dry grass. I quickly extinguished that one, but the fire department was kept busy all summer putting out flash fires along US-23 and I-75 where careless smokers would pitch their butts out the window while driving into the median grass and ignite it.
Alfred Tennyson wrote:We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby onlooker » Wed 25 May 2016, 18:13:59

To the credit of Dr. Hanson, he has remained pertinent and on the front lines of the climate wars ever since, I guess it is because he has children and I think even grandchildren. He was even arrested a few time. Great scientist and great human being.
onlooker
Fission
Fission

Unread postby onlooker » Tue 19 Jun 2018, 16:10:12

https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... SApp_Other

Ex-Nasa scientist: 30 years on, world is failing 'miserably’ to address climate change
onlooker
Fission
Fission

Return to Environment, Weather & Climate