Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Nancy Reagan Dead at 94

A forum for discussion of regional topics including oil depletion but also government, society, and the future.

Nancy Reagan Dead at 94

Unread postby Subjectivist » Sun 06 Mar 2016, 18:09:30

OFFICE OF NANCY REAGAN

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE MARCH 6, 2016

STATEMENT BY JOANNE DRAKE, SPOKESPERSON,
ON THE DEATH OF FORMER FIRST LADY NANCY REAGAN

Los Angeles – Nancy Davis Reagan, former First Lady of the United States, died this morning at her home in Los Angeles at the age of 94. The cause of death was congestive heart failure.

Mrs. Reagan will be buried at the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library in Simi Valley, California, next to her husband, Ronald Wilson Reagan, who died on June 5, 2004. Prior to the funeral service, there will be an opportunity for members of the public to pay their respects at the Library. Details will be announced shortly.

In lieu of flowers, Mrs. Reagan requested that contributions be made to the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library and Foundation at www.reaganlibrary.com.
For continuous information on the week’s events, please visit the Reagan Library’s web site at www.reaganlibrary.com.

A biography of Nancy Reagan is attached.

###

http://home.reaganfoundation.org/site/D ... ibuted.pdf
II Chronicles 7:14 if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.
Subjectivist
Volunteer
Volunteer

Re: Nancy Reagan Dead at 94

Unread postby Tanada » Mon 07 Mar 2016, 00:18:19

It was bound to happen eventually. She was a little strange with her Hollywood belief in horoscopes to predict the future, but all in all I think she was a pretty classy lady. As FLOTUS she never did or said anything to embarrassing in public, and as for what she said before and after, well that doesn't count nearly as much.
Alfred Tennyson wrote:We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby eugene » Mon 07 Mar 2016, 10:34:14

Agree with pstarr. Neither of the Reagan's impressed me. Reagan was a man who sold whatever ideas he was paid to sell. I always saw her as silly. Her "just say no" campaign was simply stupid. But we do idealize our dead. Wanta be god's wonder of a good person, die.
eugene
Peat
Peat

Unread postby Lore » Mon 07 Mar 2016, 10:55:51

Will Penny: That's always the way, ain't it?
Alex: What's always the way?
Will Penny: Let a man die, right away he's "good, old Claude". How was he *before* he bucked out?

Will Penny (1967)
The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life.
... Theodore Roosevelt
Lore
Fission
Fission

Unread postby Sixstrings » Mon 07 Mar 2016, 13:37:45

Some of her movies, her and Ronald:

Nancy and Ronald Reagan's Only Film Together 'Hellcats of the Navy
https://youtu.be/zoorcygKkBY?t=3

Another of her films:

The Next Voice You Hear: God
https://youtu.be/KRxf9qS5PUk?t=170

Ron and Nancy in a promotional film, "Live Better With Electricity:"

1950's electric lights promo - Ronald & Nancy Reagan

From around the 1950's. Sorry, a laugh track has been added to this clip.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHV5ydXfSy0

Interview when she was first lady:

12/20/81: The First Lady
https://youtu.be/yHsBZQG5gJ4?t=60

I think the press was just hard on her, back then. Mike Wallace points out that first ladies always have a hard time, no matter what they do.

Nancy Reagan / Peggy Noonan Shares Memories Of First Lady
https://youtu.be/1aCD_0BkVOw?t=59

As far as her legacy, she was Ronald's other half. His lifelong chief political adviser, as far as watching out for him #1. And in looking out for HIM, that helped him look out for America and the world.

The former WH social secretary said that Reagan would never have been president, if not for Nancy.

I saw Jim Bakker on tv saying that Nancy encouraged Ronald to do arms control talks with the soviets. When she stepped on toes in the WH, it was when staff were "trying to row their own boat" rather than support the President.

Peggy Noonan said Nancy helped make the whitehouse FUN, and the 1980s were fun.

Personally -- I was a kid in the 80s. So to me, policies aside, Ronald Reagan is always what a president "should be," and Nancy what a first lady "should be."

So anyhow, what's there to dislike about Nancy Reagan? She was a wife #1 first and foremost, she wasn't a woman of the people but it's like "behind every good man is a good woman" -- and he won the cold war and rolled back communism over half the planet, so that's her legacy too.

In her later years, she was a caregiver for Reagan throughout his alzheimers. After his passing, she retreated from public life, other than protecting his legacy.

She was a classy, dignified, sweet old lady. This was a good moment she had with Obama:

President Obama, with Nancy Reagan, Signs Law for Ronald Reagan
https://youtu.be/oT32qazhYC4?t=253
Last edited by Sixstrings on Mon 07 Mar 2016, 14:31:50, edited 4 times in total.
Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Cog » Mon 07 Mar 2016, 13:42:37

I'm not surprised at the people of low character on this board who want to disrespect a dead woman. Par for the course.
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Lore » Mon 07 Mar 2016, 14:15:59

I didn't respect her much when she was alive, why should being dead be any different?
The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life.
... Theodore Roosevelt
Lore
Fission
Fission

Unread postby Sixstrings » Mon 07 Mar 2016, 15:52:25

Some more about her acting career:

In 1940, a young Davis had appeared as a National Foundation for Infantile Paralysis volunteer in a memorable short subject shown in movie theaters to raise donations for the crusade against polio. ... It was very effective in raising contributions.

Following her graduation from college, Davis held jobs in Chicago as a sales clerk in Marshall Field's department store and as a nurse's aide.

With the help of her mother's colleagues in theatre, including Zasu Pitts, Walter Huston, and Spencer Tracy, she pursued a career as a professional actress. ...

She landed the role of Si-Tchun, a lady-in-waiting, in the 1946 Broadway musical about the Orient, Lute Song, starring Mary Martin and a pre-stardom Yul Brynner. ...

After passing a screen test, she moved to California and signed a seven-year contract with Metro Goldwyn Mayer Studios (MGM) in 1949; she later remarked, "Joining Metro was like walking into a dream world." Her combination of attractive appearance – centered around her large eyes – and somewhat distant and understated manner made her hard at first for MGM to cast and publicize.

Author Garry Wills believes that Davis was underrated as an actress overall because her constrained part in Hellcats was her most widely seen performance. ...

After her final film, Crash Landing (1958), Davis appeared for a brief time as a guest star in television dramas such as the Zane Grey Theatre episode "The Long Shadow" (1961), where she played opposite Ronald Reagan, as well as Wagon Train, and The Tall Man, until she retired as an actress in 1962.

During her career, Davis served on the board of directors of the Screen Actors Guild for nearly ten years.

Decades later, Albert Brooks attempted to coax her out of acting retirement by offering her the title role opposite himself in his 1996 film Mother. She declined in order to care for her husband, and Debbie Reynolds played the part.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nancy_Reagan

Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby efarmer » Mon 07 Mar 2016, 19:13:02

RR
"Good to see you Nancy!"
NR
"Great to see you again Ronnie!"
RR
"Hey Nancy, what do you think of all those obstructing assholes who claim to be following
in my footsteps?"
NR
"They seem to mostly be the kids of the guys who tried to keep you out of the White
House because they thought you were a RINO pinko sneaking in on the pure conservative
movement."

RR "I tried to tell those guys back in the 80's that the 50's were pretty much over with,
but they just couldn't stand the thought of it."
"
efarmer
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Oneaboveall » Mon 07 Mar 2016, 20:26:27

eugene wrote: Her "just say no" campaign was simply stupid...

Nancy Reagan Ends Nation's Drug Problem with Very Special Diff'rent Strokes Appearance.
When the banksters want something, our policymakers move with the speed of Mercury and the determination of Ares. It’s only when the rest of us need something that there is paralysis.

How free are we today with the dominance of globalist capital and militarized security apparatus?
Oneaboveall
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby charmcitysking » Tue 08 Mar 2016, 04:40:12

The real-life personification of Lillian Rearden
charmcitysking
Peat
Peat

Unread postby careinke » Tue 08 Mar 2016, 19:33:51

pstarr wrote:
Cog wrote:I'm not surprised at the people of low character on this board who want to disrespect a dead woman. Par for the course.

Nothin' like wanting to make millions of muslim children dead. Like your leader trump. Killin' the families.
Donald Trump said Wednesday that he would kill the families of terrorists in order to win the fight against ISIS.

Except he recanted once told it was illegal. At least he listens to his advisors, unlike the future criminal Hillary. I can't believe SOMEONE in her department didn't tell her storing official business on her pcjr was NOT a good idea.

So there, nanannana, your idiot is worse than Trump. *

*Disclaimer - I'm not voting for president.
Cliff (Start a rEVOLution, grow a garden)
careinke
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby careinke » Tue 08 Mar 2016, 21:13:33

pstarr wrote:She's not my idiot. Aren't you kind of surprised though, The Trump didn't know it was illegal to kill noncombatant children? Is that news around here? Or have we really sunk that low?

"Mommy. Is it okay to stab the kitten?"
"I don't know dear. Hum? I'll just have to ask Oprah at the next call-in. In the meantime have fun :), and don't get any blood on your jumper. :x "

You certainly have a point.
Cliff (Start a rEVOLution, grow a garden)
careinke
Volunteer
Volunteer

Return to North America Discussion