Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

WOW (World Oil War)

General discussions of the systemic, societal and civilisational effects of depletion.

Re: WOW (World Oil War)

Unread postby Keith_McClary » Wed 06 Jan 2016, 00:22:58

AgentR11 wrote:What difference does it make whether I hand a clerk a piece of paper that only has value because the digital systems of the United States say it has value; or if I stick a piece of plastic and silicon in a reader, that moves bits that only have value because the digital systems of the United States say it has value. There's nothing magic or sacred about that scrap of paper; neither God nor Nature have imbued it with any value at all; its simply a marker, a temporary placeholder for moving bits from one account to another account. Even in the catastrophic sense, I can get my "cash" bits into equities faster than you can get your paper place markers into gold or silver, and much much faster than you can get them into any wider assortment of liquid assets that preserve purchasing power.

Paper money doesn't leave a paper trail. With compulsory e-money they can track everything you buy, everywhere you go.
Facebook knows you're a dog.
Keith_McClary
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Keith_McClary » Wed 06 Jan 2016, 00:29:15

SeaGypsy wrote:Uber is a joke designed to sucker mathematical dunces into working for free. There is no real profit in driving for uber. For example the tax office here has ruled the cost of running a private car is 78 cents per km. When my employer pays me $780 to drive 1000 km in a week, the tax office doesn't touch it. Uber charges $1.15 km, from which- 10% gst, 20% uber, income tax, costs, out & back etc. Just a big scam really.

Some Uber users got a rude lesson in the workings of an unregulated free market over the holiday season. They found themselves paying the equivalent of a transcontinental airline flight for a ride across town with the ride-sharing service during New Year’s Eve festivities.
One Uber user in Edmonton said he was billed more than $1,100 to get home after sharing a car with some other revelers.
Facebook knows you're a dog.
Keith_McClary
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby ennui2 » Wed 06 Jan 2016, 01:59:38

AgentR11 wrote:completely remove the physical possibility.

Gated communities != totalitarianism.
"If the oil price crosses above the Etp maximum oil price curve within the next month, I will leave the forum." --SumYunGai (9/21/2016)
ennui2
Permanently Banned

Unread postby SeaGypsy » Wed 06 Jan 2016, 04:00:23

Keith_McClary wrote:
SeaGypsy wrote:Uber is a joke designed to sucker mathematical dunces into working for free. There is no real profit in driving for uber. For example the tax office here has ruled the cost of running a private car is 78 cents per km. When my employer pays me $780 to drive 1000 km in a week, the tax office doesn't touch it. Uber charges $1.15 km, from which- 10% gst, 20% uber, income tax, costs, out & back etc. Just a big scam really.

Some Uber users got a rude lesson in the workings of an unregulated free market over the holiday season. They found themselves paying the equivalent of a transcontinental airline flight for a ride across town with the ride-sharing service during New Year’s Eve festivities.
One Uber user in Edmonton said he was billed more than $1,100 to get home after sharing a car with some other revelers.

Which happens once a year for a few hours. A few local major events may do similar loading, rest of the year the drivers make running costs & less than minimum wage.
SeaGypsy
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Unread postby MD » Wed 06 Jan 2016, 06:05:18

SeaGypsy wrote:
Keith_McClary wrote:

Which happens once a year for a few hours. A few local major events may do similar loading, rest of the year the drivers make running costs & less than minimum wage.

Yup. Which means the astute uber driver is just there for the peaks, and takes just enough fares in the down times to stay in the game. In other words if you don't mind drunks puking in your car you can make some side money. Making a "living" though is a hard road. It's more like being an independent limo operator. I've known a couple. They both left the business after getting tired of toting around drunken bachelor(ette) parties on Friday nights and spending all day Saturday trying to get the stink out of their cars. :razz:

So how did we get from WOW to uber? This place continues to amaze me with its wandering threads. ADD on the internets :razz:
Stop filling dumpsters, as much as you possibly can, and everything will get better.

Just think it through.
It's not hard to do.
MD
COB
COB

Unread postby SeaGypsy » Wed 06 Jan 2016, 08:40:36

Someone back thread suggested uber be taken as an important manifestation of emerging totalitarianism eventually forcing the end of private transport blah blah blah like coming off an acid trip. Uber is a pyramid scheme reliant on an endless supply of suckers. Almost nobody does it more than two years, by which time they have destroyed a new or near new vehicle (or lost 70+% on one) & earned less than minimum doing so.
SeaGypsy
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Unread postby AgentR11 » Wed 06 Jan 2016, 09:58:34

ennui2 wrote:
AgentR11 wrote:completely remove the physical possibility.
Gated communities != totalitarianism.

I'm not talking about the millions of upper middle class folks that live in gated communities. I've yet to see one of them that isn't more than a paper mache fantasy.

Oligarchs don't live in "gated communities". Oligarchs have security and drivers and deep offsets from public access.
Yes we are, as we are,
And so shall we remain,
Until the end.
AgentR11
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby ennui2 » Wed 06 Jan 2016, 13:41:17

AgentR11 wrote:Oligarchs don't live in "gated communities". Oligarchs have security and drivers and deep offsets from public access.

They also aren't the ones involved in mass-shootings. By and large my frustration is more focused on the fast descent of the American psyche than anything else.
"If the oil price crosses above the Etp maximum oil price curve within the next month, I will leave the forum." --SumYunGai (9/21/2016)
ennui2
Permanently Banned

Unread postby AgentR11 » Wed 06 Jan 2016, 14:40:14

ennui2 wrote:
AgentR11 wrote:Oligarchs don't live in "gated communities". Oligarchs have security and drivers and deep offsets from public access.

They also aren't the ones involved in mass-shootings. By and large my frustration is more focused on the fast descent of the American psyche than anything else.

Ah. We really can't visualize the same things then; "mass shootings" seem to me to be of trivial importance; barely worth acknowledging that they happen. They just don't have the numbers to compete with even regular forms of individual violent death (cars, bar fights, lover quarrels, suicides..) And fade to an insignificant spec of dust when compared with systematic violence internal and external (health, food, or war and foreign source exploitation). And it is that systematic violence that the oligarchs use, to shape policy, to enhance their wealth and safety, to place themselves beyond even the reach of imagination.

I do sympathize though with your point; but I think you're a few decades too late. The "American psyche" shattered going into Vietnam, and just never recovered. Any number of things you could blame it on; but assigning blame will neither result in justice, nor mend the broken. Humpty fell off the wall, and the King and his men knew scrambled eggs when they saw'em; and so removed themselves from the reach of the mob that gathered to devour the refuse. For now, you can think of them as the remaining humans, tossing crumbs to us... the pigeons.
Yes we are, as we are,
And so shall we remain,
Until the end.
AgentR11
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Previous

Return to Peak Oil Discussion