Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Former US ambassador to Russia reveals dangerous delusion

For discussions of events and conditions not necessarily related to Peak Oil.

Re: Former US ambassador to Russia reveals dangerous delusio

Unread postby Subjectivist » Tue 01 Dec 2015, 21:47:02

vtsnowedin wrote:
AgentR11 wrote:There are a ton of targets you need to hit that don't even have significant populations. Its not as simple as counting cities. Same math applies here in the US; once you get down to #50 or whatever, its all chump change as far as population.

Just how many targets make up a ton? I'm, pretty sure the US military has studied the problem and know how to achieve the maximum effect with what ever missiles they choose to launch. But really if you have wiped out every city or town with a population above 57,000 would it matter if you missed some military base out in Siberia?

It does if that base has a squadron of ICBM's that can be fired off at America because you missed that base.
II Chronicles 7:14 if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.
Subjectivist
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby AgentR11 » Wed 02 Dec 2015, 00:27:17

vtsnowedin wrote:Just how many targets make up a ton? I'm, pretty sure the US military has studied the problem and know how to achieve the maximum effect with what ever missiles they choose to launch. But really if you have wiped out every city or town with a population above 57,000 would it matter if you missed some military base out in Siberia?

Yes it would matter.

I would suspect the critical target count is somewhere in the 500-1000 range.

And yes, the US military knows how to wage nuclear war, as do the Russians.

I was only objecting to the flippant "are there even... " We treat our enemies casually, we will pay horribly if we decide to fight, or force a fight.

Both sides have more than enough weapons to wreck the other country, pretty much completely and irrecoverably. I don't see the Russians trying to surround us and force us into a do-and-die or do-nothing-and-die decision. If we're going to do this, or allow our actions to be perceived as doing this, we need to accept the cost of the war we intend to fight.
Yes we are, as we are,
And so shall we remain,
Until the end.
AgentR11
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Cog » Wed 02 Dec 2015, 04:17:35

This surrounding that you refer to involves former eastern European countries who were under the boot of the former Soviet Union. They joined NATO because they didn't feel like being forced to rejoin a reborn evil empire under Putin. This sticks in Putin's craw and that is fine with me. Having buffer states works both ways.
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Wed 02 Dec 2015, 07:19:38

Subjectivist wrote:
vtsnowedin wrote:
AgentR11 wrote:There are a ton of targets you need to hit that don't even have significant populations. Its not as simple as counting cities. Same math applies here in the US; once you get down to #50 or whatever, its all chump change as far as population.

Just how many targets make up a ton? I'm, pretty sure the US military has studied the problem and know how to achieve the maximum effect with what ever missiles they choose to launch. But really if you have wiped out every city or town with a population above 57,000 would it matter if you missed some military base out in Siberia?

It does if that base has a squadron of ICBM's that can be fired off at America because you missed that base.

They have submarines of their own so there is absolutely no chance of knocking out all their missiles. That is the M in (MAD) Mutual assured destruction.
vtsnowedin
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Wed 02 Dec 2015, 07:27:21

8) perhaps a bit flippant but my point is that if two subs can wreck the whole country having eighteen of them plus land based missiles plus strategic bombers plus cruise missiles Plus stealth bombers plus ship launched missiles is a lot of over kill.
Hopefully all a moot point and our real worry should be that the Chinese will call our debt and beat us into bankruptcy in the market place.
vtsnowedin
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby AgentR11 » Wed 02 Dec 2015, 09:13:05

Cog wrote:This surrounding that you refer to involves former eastern European countries who were under the boot of the former Soviet Union. They joined NATO because they didn't feel like being forced to rejoin a reborn evil empire under Putin. This sticks in Putin's craw and that is fine with me. Having buffer states works both ways.

I didn't say there weren't rationale for it.

I said own the result. As long as people own the inevitable result, I guess its ok.

It is part of defense policy, that you MUST assume your enemy is likely to do the most difficult things for you to respond to. You can't "trust". It is not possible for the US/NATO to trust Russia until it is destroyed; it is not possible for Russia to trust NATO until NATO is destroyed. It is possible for Russia to come to the conclusion that NATO has no intention of invading Russia or creating a pretext for an invasion of Russia. To do that, you have to send the right messages with your troop and weapon deployments. I give us a failing grade in that regard. Our current plan is to render Russia unable to respond to an attack by NATO on Russia; and our forces are configured to enable nibbling once Russia is unable to respond. Russia can not survive such nibbling. This leads them to the conclusion that NATO exists for the sole purpose of destroying and looting Russia.

It doesn't matter in the tiniest bit what you or I think NATO is for, or even what the West in general thinks. Russia has to act, before it is rendered unable to respond, because they must assume they will be destroyed or enslaved as soon as they are unable to respond.

Now, if we're all OK with Russia launching all their nukes, and us responding with all of ours, then I guess this is an ok plan of battle. I think its dumb to pursue this plan, and that there are better plans that could insure the security of former USSR Euros, while not pushing Russia into this "do nothing and die alone" or "do something and everyone dies equally" choice. And honestly, some of these better plans would involve MORE troops in Lithuania for instance, but less penetration capacity. I would involve the Russians in the European missile defense, though not give them control of course. Russia needs to be able to see that NATO is defensive, as opposed to just yet another German military pact design to conquer Russia. Right now, we're doing a really cruddy job of selling that idea.

If you want a deterant effect for NATO, you have to be willing to demonstrate that it is very poorly designed to invade or harm Russia.
Yes we are, as we are,
And so shall we remain,
Until the end.
AgentR11
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Previous

Return to Geopolitics & Global Economics