Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Peak Oil Price

Discuss research and forecasts regarding hydrocarbon depletion.

Re: Peak Oil Price

Unread postby Pops » Fri 13 Nov 2015, 13:18:19

here is [a partial] breakdown [US only] of totally bogus made up storage amounts [not including tankers]

http://www.eia.gov/todayinenergy/detail.cfm?id=21552
The legitimate object of government, is to do for a community of people, whatever they need to have done, but can not do, at all, or can not, so well do, for themselves -- in their separate, and individual capacities.
-- Abraham Lincoln, Fragment on Government (July 1, 1854)
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby Pops » Fri 13 Nov 2015, 13:50:51

IEA stocks
https://www.iea.org/oilmarketreport/omrpublic/

ETA:
what makes you say these numbers are bogus?
...that they don't line up with your knee-jerk opinion doesn't count...
even if they are bogus they are still way above the previous 5 year average bogus range.
The legitimate object of government, is to do for a community of people, whatever they need to have done, but can not do, at all, or can not, so well do, for themselves -- in their separate, and individual capacities.
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby ROCKMAN » Fri 13 Nov 2015, 14:36:10

pstarr - You have to watch their wording carefully. Maybe the Saudis do have the bulk of the excess capacity...let's say 90%. But 90% of what: 10 mm bopd...2 mm bopd. Or today, given their recent production increases: is it 90% of 1mm bopd...or less? Having the majority of anything doesn't necessarily mean you have a lot of "it": I just means you have a lot more than anyone else.
ROCKMAN
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Pops » Fri 13 Nov 2015, 14:45:54

pstarr wrote:I guess I just want to believe what my lying eyes tell me.

cherry picking is when you choose only the facts that support your opinion

what do call it when your opinion decide what is fact? is that delusion or?

Really, your opinion needs no facts to back it up, why go to the trouble of arguing facts, figures, whatever, if the best info available doesn't matter anyway?

LoL
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby Pops » Fri 13 Nov 2015, 15:02:53

would it matter to you if I told you?
gave a dozen links?

no it wouldn't
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby ennui2 » Fri 13 Nov 2015, 15:28:35

Pops wrote:what makes you say these numbers are bogus?...that they don't line up with your knee-jerk opinion doesn't count...

See, Pstarr? I'm not the only one accusing you of being a prisoner to your biases. I'm just the only one you tell to "fuck off" in response.
"If the oil price crosses above the Etp maximum oil price curve within the next month, I will leave the forum." --SumYunGai (9/21/2016)
ennui2
Permanently Banned

Unread postby Pops » Fri 13 Nov 2015, 15:52:26

pstarr wrote:I asked Pops, how and why the Saudi's were holding back production. And I just asked Pops, how and why and where the Saudi's are flooding the market to keep prices down? And he pointed to IEA, saying it should be obvious. They have over-capacity. But how is over-capacity measured? Well it seems that over-capacity is measured by falling oil prices. So the Saudi's are under-producing because oil prices have fallen. Around and around. Call me confused.

you mistook stockpiles for spare capacity

spare capacity is production quickly available above the current rate of production - but still in the ground

commercial stocks ("stockpile") is oil in a tank, pipeline, cavern, or some other facility awaiting refinement or delivery

The saudis aren't flooding the market, the US is.
all the saudis did was NOT reduce production this time like everyone expected them to do to support the price.
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby Subjectivist » Fri 13 Nov 2015, 16:02:36

If they have to shut down the Alaska pipeline for a long period due to low flow rates how much oil sitting in the pipe will have to be drained? How do they go about draining a hundreds of miles long pipe when shutting it down?
II Chronicles 7:14 if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.
Subjectivist
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby Pops » Fri 13 Nov 2015, 17:08:02

that's a good question.
I know there is a thing called a "hog" that is like a moving plug. they use one when they change types of fluid, another kind somehow inspects the pipe thickness to find corrosion. Maybe they have one that can push fluid along to empty the pipe?
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby Tanada » Fri 13 Nov 2015, 17:33:56

Pops wrote:that's a good question.
I know there is a thing called a "hog" that is like a moving plug. they use one when they change types of fluid, another kind somehow inspects the pipe thickness to find corrosion. Maybe they have one that can push fluid along to empty the pipe?

According to Wikipedia, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trans-Ala ... al_details

The pipe is 48 inches wide and 800 miles long with a 2 MM/bbl/day capacity and it takes 11.9 days for oil entering the north end to exit the south end. To me that would be 2 MM/bbl times 11.9 days or a total volume of 23.8 Million/bbl just filling up the pipe itself. If that is accurate you would need a heck of a lot of tank capacity to drain the whole thing, unless you could just let that pig you mention do the whole transit over an 11 day period and fill up tankers waiting in Valdez as it emptied out. The old Exxon Valdez size crude carriers hold 1.2 Million bbl so you would need about 20 ships to hold all the oil drained out of the pipe.
http://people.wku.edu/jan.garrett/321valdz.htm
Alfred Tennyson wrote:We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Pops » Fri 13 Nov 2015, 17:42:47

well yeah but... isn't that the amount that comes out of it now?

you're right tho, its pig not hog

http://www.rigzone.com/training/insight ... ght_id=310 it a pig
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby Tanada » Fri 13 Nov 2015, 17:54:16

Pops wrote:well yeah but... isn't that the amount that comes out of it now?

you're right tho, its pig not hog

http://www.rigzone.com/training/insight ... ght_id=310 it a pig

Right now it is flowing around 700,000/bbl/day so while the volume inside the pipe is fixed the amount going in and coming out each day is not :-D The way I understand it if the input falls under around 500,000/bbl/day they will have to drain the pipe because the oil will cool too much during that 800 miles trip and parts of it will 'freeze' to the inner walls of the pipe building up until they plug the pipe.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby ROCKMAN » Sat 14 Nov 2015, 16:55:34

T - The fastest pipe pig on the planet moves much slower then the oil moving thru the line now. But the common way to empty oil out of any flow line is to push it out with another fluid...even water. Small diameter and shorter lines are flushed with N2. Including NG lines: against regs to leave it when abandoning a line. Same for oil. In this case there would be very little mixing of the oil/water. And what there is wouldn't be a problem: we've had oil/water separators for more than half a century. The bigger problem would be getting the residual water out to prevent corrosion.
ROCKMAN
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Tanada » Sat 14 Nov 2015, 17:44:52

ROCKMAN wrote:T - The fastest pipe pig on the planet moves much slower then the oil moving thru the line now. But the common way to empty oil out of any flow line is to push it out with another fluid...even water. Small diameter and shorter lines are flushed with N2. Including NG lines: against regs to leave it when abandoning a line. Same for oil. In this case there would be very little mixing of the oil/water. And what there is wouldn't be a problem: we've had oil/water separators for more than half a century. The bigger problem would be getting the residual water out to prevent corrosion.

Way back in my youth I worked with irrigation systems that had to be emptied in the fall to prevent freezing water from cracking the pipes. In places where gravity wouldn't do the trick we used compressed air to 'blow' the pipes out, then put the end caps on to keep the ground water out.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Peak oil studies, reports & models