Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Micro-grid in a box; Ultimate doomer package

Discussions of conventional and alternative energy production technologies.

Micro-grid in a box; Ultimate doomer package

Unread postby GHung » Wed 04 Nov 2015, 11:55:54

I received an email seeking bids on a complete solar-with-generator-backup system I thought would be interesting to some. A complete "portable" package large enough to power most doomer compounds in style:

SUN ELECTRONICS Mobile Renewable Energy Unit

Introducing the Mobile Renewable Energy Unit (MREU) from Sun Electronics. The MREU is portable and designed to integrate into existing utility grids in permanent military base environments or with Forwarding Operating Base "Micro Grid" environments during deployment to active military theaters.

The core differentiating factor to the MREU is the low maintenance 90%+ efficient Lithium Phosphate "Never Die®" battery storage with proprietary energy management technology that optimizes every kilowatt-hour produced by the system.

The MREU seamlessly integrates with its standard 30kWp of photovoltaic solar panels that can be deployed by just two people in a matter of hours using FSE's proprietary "Smart Solar Array Setup System©" (SSASS) technology. As a backup to the MREU's renewable energy generators the system includes a 35kW diesel generator that is designed to run at 100% optimum efficiency to decrease the "Fully Burdened Cost of Fuel" that is so critical in deployed environments.

Tested at US military facilities the MREU is a proven deployable energy production, storage, and distribution system for extreme environments.

Unique locking system
Easy to deploy adjustable solar panels

GENERATOR MODULE
Standby power rating 63 kVA-35 kW @ 60 Hz
Fuel capacity 110 gallons
Diesel consumption 2.2 gallons per hour
High efficiency EPA compliant low emission generator

PHOTOVOLTAIC (PV) MODULES Solar generating capacity: 30 kWp STC DC**
100 panels @ 300wp each
SSASS rapid panel wiring system

BATTERY MODULE
Lithium "Never-Die®" technology
100 kWh. storage capacity
Max discharge rate 36 kW
Max charge rate 35 kW 3 phase power
* Litium batteries are FAA approved for air transport

SYSTEM FEATURES
Customized high cube ISO container Smart Solar Array Set-Up System© (SSASS) LED interior lighting
Theft-resistant docking and tow system
Interior armor plating optional System footprint ~60' x ~70'

Bids starting at $99,000. Add one to your bug-out plans today!
Blessed are the Meek, for they shall inherit nothing but their Souls. - Anonymous Ghung Person
GHung
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Re: Micro-grid in a box; Ultimate doomer package

Unread postby Peak_Yeast » Wed 04 Nov 2015, 13:21:06

Im just waiting for the right battery tech to come along... I just want a small storage of say... 3000KWh. :roll:

Today that amount is completely and utterly out of my reach.. :(
"If democracy is the least bad form of government - then why dont we try it for real?"
Peak_Yeast
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby Whitefang » Wed 04 Nov 2015, 14:06:18

wow! where do I sign up? Let's go camping, happy ever after.....
Whitefang
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Peak_Yeast » Wed 04 Nov 2015, 15:49:07

3000KWh is barely enough to go off-grid here in Denmark - if you want to use the electricity as heating also. The production is mainly in the summer - so I need to store for about 100 days worth :-)

Let me dream about that perfect battery ... that i dont have to pay 20x6800$ for .. and doesnt wear out.
"If democracy is the least bad form of government - then why dont we try it for real?"
Peak_Yeast
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby GHung » Wed 04 Nov 2015, 16:09:17

Yeah, Peaky, and folks in Egypt probably don't invest in snow machines either. Few technologies apply everywhere. Then, again, I hear property is cheap in Spain 8O
Blessed are the Meek, for they shall inherit nothing but their Souls. - Anonymous Ghung Person
GHung
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby ennui2 » Thu 05 Nov 2015, 12:24:50

Heat is best converted directly from solar radiation, not through PV.

I get it, though. All the toys we want are too expensive so let's whine about it.
"If the oil price crosses above the Etp maximum oil price curve within the next month, I will leave the forum." --SumYunGai (9/21/2016)
ennui2
Permanently Banned

Unread postby ennui2 » Thu 05 Nov 2015, 13:27:51

"If the oil price crosses above the Etp maximum oil price curve within the next month, I will leave the forum." --SumYunGai (9/21/2016)
ennui2
Permanently Banned

Unread postby davep » Thu 05 Nov 2015, 13:37:44

Both are useful. Passive solar is great when the sun shines in winter, but when it doesn't for an extended period of time, an efficient wood stove helps maintain the internal thermal mass's temperature. But the stirling engine is more about achieving work from heat in the most efficient manner (it is theoretically as efficient as the carnot cycle). It's always been one of my goals to create a modular stirling engine with an external hot-end heat exchanger that could integrate into a wood stove or a tracking parabolic dish depending on climatic conditions.
What we think, we become.
davep
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Unread postby ennui2 » Thu 05 Nov 2015, 13:42:06

And the way to get the most out of wood:

http://www.motherearthnews.com/diy/buil ... nzgoe.aspx

Yes, I've done my doomer homework regardless of whether I've put it to use in my current living conditions.
ennui2
Permanently Banned

Unread postby davep » Thu 05 Nov 2015, 13:54:39

I had a Russian colleague in one job and she was amazed that I knew about them (she had one installed in her house in the USA). I guess being a "prepper" does help expand your cultural horizons.
davep
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Unread postby ennui2 » Thu 05 Nov 2015, 14:29:46

I don't know why anyone would ever build fireplaces on the side of houses rather than straight up through the middle. Sounds like a no-brainer to me.
ennui2
Permanently Banned

Unread postby Zanstel » Fri 06 Nov 2015, 03:54:21

Peak_Yeast wrote:3000KWh is barely enough to go off-grid here in Denmark - if you want to use the electricity as heating also. The production is mainly in the summer - so I need to store for about 100 days worth :-)

Let me dream about that perfect battery ... that i dont have to pay 20x6800$ for .. and doesnt wear out.

Because solar power is cheaper than storaging, it has more sense to add solar power and reduce the amount of storage to a couple weeks of low consumption or something like that, with a peak solar power for a 20% surplus over the shortest day of the year.

Of course that not work if you are to near the poles. Then, you should use solar and wind mix, with a great use of wind on winter because solar is mainly off.

In any case, flow batteries was the right choice if the technology was ready, because decouple power and energy storage, doing storage a lot cheaper if you not need to add more power.

http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v5 ... 12909.html
Zanstel
Wood
Wood

Unread postby Peak_Yeast » Fri 06 Nov 2015, 06:36:17

I did want windpower, but the rules in Denmark are FUBARS. It is simply not possible for normal people to legally put up a windmill.

And I am not whining about nice batteries; I am dreaming nice dreams about them. But, I understand why some people are not able to make that distinction.

I speculated about wood stove, but decided against it since the danish rules demand that you let strangers into your house at least once a year to inspect oven and chimney. For that they get 200$ and it usually takes them about 10 min - and they are considering putting substatial taxation on "wood power" - starting with a tax on all wooden fuels - they call it "delivery safety" tax.

I wonder how much of the tax that is being used to actually guarantee a future delivery of say wood pellets..
Peak_Yeast
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby davep » Fri 06 Nov 2015, 10:27:20

Can you grow your own wood (as, say, a short rotation coppice)? It could be good feed for a Russian-style thermal inertia stove (as smaller branches are better).
davep
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Return to Energy Technology