Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

The Farnsworth Fusor & ITT's corporate control.

Discussions of conventional and alternative energy production technologies.

The Farnsworth Fusor & ITT's corporate control.

Unread postby BILL_THA_PHARMACIZT » Sat 21 Aug 2004, 02:38:57

Thought this might make for a good read.

http://www.farnovision.com/chronicles/f ... latos.html
BILL_THA_PHARMACIZT
Peat
Peat

Unread postby Devil » Sat 21 Aug 2004, 03:24:54

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Devil
Devil
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Mr. Fusion

Unread postby DoctorDoom » Sat 21 Aug 2004, 16:12:01

It did indeed, thanks for posting it. Skeptics, don't laugh, you really can get fusion to occur using vacuum tube technology. In fact there was an article about this in a science magazine just a few years ago, with plans sufficiently detailed that someone could (and, I believe, did) build a device as a science fair project. The device is about the size of Mr. Fusion from "Back to the Future" - it looks like a coffee-maker-sized tube of thick glass with a wire mesh ball mounted on a pedastal in the center, and some other wires inside it. My vague recollection is that the electric field starts deuterium ions moving in a path that goes straight into the center of the device and back out the other side (because the "ball" attracting them is made of a mesh, so most of them don't hit anything). They go back and forth like this from all sides, in a roughly spherical pattern, the idea being that the odds of a sufficiently energetic collision are higher in the center than they'd be if the ions moved around at random.

There's a catch, of course - very little fusion actually occurs. Only very high-energy ions colliding virtually head-on will fuse. So little fusion occurs that there's no radiation danger at all, and in fact you'd need very sensitive instruments to even measure that things are working. A lot more energy goes into the device than you could possibly extract. I have the magazine, I just wish I could find an on-line reference to it. It's way cool to think you can build a fusion reactor at home, even if it's not a practical energy source!
DoctorDoom
Expert
Expert

Return to Energy Technology