Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Nanotechnology is a MASSIVE financial disaster

General discussions of the systemic, societal and civilisational effects of depletion.

Nanotechnology is a MASSIVE financial disaster

Unread postby StarvingLion » Tue 13 Oct 2015, 18:08:44

http://time.com/4068125/nanotech-sector/

TIME Magazine notes that Nobody's Talking About Nanotech Anymore. The article, as it turns out, is far less about nanotech as a failed technology, indeed:

Which is strange, because nanotechnology itself – that is, the science and engineering conducted on a molecular scale, measuring less than 100 nanometers – is yielding applications and products in a number of industries, just as its more sensible supporters have long predicted.

The problem is the financial return.

Ten years on, precious few of the nanotech stocks and venture-backed startups have delivered on their investment promise. Harris & Harris and Arrowhead are both trading at less than a tenth of their respective peaks of the last decade. Invesco liquidated its PowerShares Lux Nanotech ETF in 2014, after it underperformed the S&P 500 for seven of the previous eight years.
Outcast_Searcher is a fraud.
StarvingLion
Permanently Banned

Re: Nanotechnology is a MASSIVE financial disaster

Unread postby Lore » Tue 13 Oct 2015, 18:29:34

pstarr wrote:And they are pretty handy for digging out that old yellowed ear wax.

I use strike anywhere matches for that. Imported from Chile.
The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life.
... Theodore Roosevelt
Lore
Fission
Fission

Unread postby GHung » Tue 13 Oct 2015, 19:48:16

Lore said; "I use strike anywhere matches for that. Imported from Chile."

Those are getting hard to find. I finally found some Ohio Blue Tip matches at an old time hardware recently and bought 5 boxes.

As for the ears, a little hydrogen peroxide solution and flush gently with warm water after the bubbling stops.
Blessed are the Meek, for they shall inherit nothing but their Souls. - Anonymous Ghung Person
GHung
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Lore » Tue 13 Oct 2015, 20:19:36

GHung wrote:Lore said; "I use strike anywhere matches for that. Imported from Chile."

Those are getting hard to find. I finally found some Ohio Blue Tip matches at an old time hardware recently and bought 5 boxes.

As for the ears, a little hydrogen peroxide solution and flush gently with warm water after the bubbling stops.

There are only a couple of choices left and these fall short of the good old Ohio Bule Tips. Red Bird matches from Canada and Penley Matches from Chile. The Penley will still light on your zipper.

Your match heads will absorb moisture over time. So, if you want to preserve them, give them a thin dip of candle wax.
The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life.
... Theodore Roosevelt
Lore
Fission
Fission

Return to Peak Oil Discussion