Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

And the shopping continues, unabated

For discussions of events and conditions not necessarily related to Peak Oil.

Re: And the shopping continues, unabated

Unread postby onlooker » Sat 19 Sep 2015, 19:22:17

Very sage ideas described in this narrative, thanks Jupiter. However, the challenges to humanity truly are now beyond the scope of economics and it's organization. It is now about ecological issues related to carrying capacity of a now degraded environment and also the challenges of adapting to a warming world. These challenges will dwarf economic organizational concerns. Humans, I suspect will have to cooperate and try and live harmoniously just to survive. This in itself will entail a radical evolution in our morality and conscious. Certainly, though ideas like your linked one Jupiter can be valuable in the future as hopefully other ideas being proposed, discussed and recorded here on PO. The archives forum on this site could one day begin to bear fruit as the repository of a wealth of information that can inform humans in the future. Who knows.
"We are mortal beings doomed to die
onlooker
Fission
Fission

Unread postby jupiters_release » Sat 19 Sep 2015, 20:45:34

Waiting for the price discoverer's response. :|
Do not seek the truth, only cease to cherish opinions.
jupiters_release
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby SeaGypsy » Sun 20 Sep 2015, 22:03:35

He had a breakdown a few days ago, might not be around for a while. Phew
SeaGypsy
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Unread postby jupiters_release » Mon 21 Sep 2015, 03:36:12

I missed it, there a link?
Do not seek the truth, only cease to cherish opinions.
jupiters_release
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Narz » Mon 21 Sep 2015, 13:30:02

This has been an interesting discussion.

In my perspective there isn't just one "human nature", we have many. Some have less empathy/honor/respect than others. I think much of that is nature & much is nurture (some people just don't have proper working empathy hardware but it usually takes child abuse for that person to go full blown psycho in adulthood, likewise some people are good, have a strong conscious, etc. but can become very bad in the right circumstances).

The problem to me is that evil has been allowed to dominate, the greedy & exploitative civilizations & cultures have swallowed up the "sustainable" ones. Who has more descendants, Genghis Khan or some simple farmer who was always nice to everyone?

I do think humanity has a flaw. I feel like we can mitigate it... maybe, but right now its been played like a fiddle, our weaknesses are being exploited for profit & we won't stop until the world is super duper f*cked and only then will the eyes of the majority truly be opened.
“Seek simplicity but distrust it”
Narz
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Keith_McClary » Mon 21 Sep 2015, 15:20:57

Narz wrote:In my perspective there isn't just one "human nature", we have many. Some have less empathy/honor/respect than others. I think much of that is nature & much is nurture ...

Research suggests good rules can instill 'habits of virtue'
September 17, 2015 by Bill Hathaway
They theorized that the way people treat each other in their personal lives is heavily influenced by the laws and rules that govern their public lives. To test this theory in the lab, they had one group of subjects play an economic game in which cooperation could be rewarded and selfishness punished by other players. A second group played a game with little accountability to others. Afterwards, members of both groups had the chance to help strangers, and to punish people for exploiting others.
The members of the group who had played games which rewarded altruism were much more likely to sacrifice for others than those who had played games in which selfishness was rewarded, researchers found. They found that this was particularly true for people who tended to "go with their gut" and not think things through carefully, they report.
Facebook knows you're a dog.
Keith_McClary
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Narz » Mon 21 Sep 2015, 21:46:25

Psychological research is fascinating. Its amazing how subtle things people do for an hour or less affect them even afterwards.

Most people have alot of negative (selfish, self-absorbed) conditioning to overcome though.
“Seek simplicity but distrust it”
Narz
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Previous

Return to Geopolitics & Global Economics