Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

US Gasoline Tax

A forum for discussion of regional topics including oil depletion but also government, society, and the future.

Re: Gas Taxes & Your Interstate System

Unread postby Subjectivist » Thu 08 Jan 2015, 21:58:32

Democrats too have been reticent to touching the unpopular tax, a resistance that has extended all the way to the White House. But on Wednesday Senate Minority Whip Dick Durbin (D-Ill), filling in as Democratic leader while Sen. Harry Reid (D-Nev.) recuperates from an exercise injury, offered the most enthusiastic endorsement from a congressional leader yet this year on raising the gas tax.
“Now’s the time do it. But we ought to do it in a thoughtful way,” Durbin said, adding that the regressive nature of the gas tax must be confronted to shield lower- and middle-income drivers. “We’ve got to find some tax relief for them.”
Though Democrats have generally avoided strongly backing the broad tax increase, the real opposition lies in the GOP wings. While maverick lawmakers like Sen. Bob Corker (R-Tenn.) have explicitly endorsed raising the tax, Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell recently told the Wall Street Journal: “We all know we’re not going to pass a gas-tax increase.”
Still, newly empowered chairmen have tried to leave the door cracked. Senate Finance Chairman Orrin Hatch (R-Utah), who must come up with the financing for the Highway Trust Fund, isn’t a huge fan of raising the tax but said he was “open” to discussing it. And Commerce Committee Chairman John Thune (R-S.D.), a member of leadership and on the Finance Committee, wouldn’t outright dismiss a gas tax hike Wednesday but was bearish on its chances.€

http://www.politico.com/story/2015/01/g ... z3OHkIldnt
II Chronicles 7:14 if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.
Subjectivist
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby Subjectivist » Fri 09 Jan 2015, 13:18:28

More news from The Hill on the new gasoline/diesel tax proposal, more at the link.

Senate Finance Chairman Orrin Hatch (R-Utah) and Sen. John Thune (R-S.D.), the third-ranking Senate Republican, also said they were open to the possibility of raising the tax.

Democratic leaders in both chambers of Congress, meanwhile, declared this week that “now is the time” for an increase.

While major obstacles stand in the way — namely the House of Representatives —business groups believe there is a real chance to raise the tax in the final two years of the Obama administration.

“Comments this week from Sens. Inhofe, Hatch and Thune signal a growing recognition that the gas tax is a fair and consistent way to fund our infrastructure needs,” Association of Equipment Manufacturers spokesman Michael O’Brien said in an interview on Thursday.

Democrats have typically been more open to the idea of hiking the gas tax, but it’s the shift in Republicans' tone that is drawing more attention to the possibility.

Inhofe argues lawmakers "don't have a choice" but to consider raising the gas tax, which he says is more accurately called a "user fee" — a characterization the founder of the conservative Americans for Tax Reform, Grover Norquist, has yet to sign off on.

Americans for Tax Reform said it is still opposed to the idea of increasing the gas tax, despite the recent decline in fuel prices.
http://thehill.com/policy/energy-environment/228986-momentum-seen-in-push-for-gas-tax-hike
II Chronicles 7:14 if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.
Subjectivist
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby Tanada » Fri 09 Jan 2015, 14:25:43

If they had half a brain between them (but we know they don't) they would institute an automatic tax increase that goes up the same way Cost Of Living measures go up for people on federal benefits like SSI and medical retired veterans. Ohio did this a few years ago with the state Minimum Wage, each January the rate goes up based on cost of living in the state so the politicians do not have to vote on it every time, it just happens automatically. They want 12 cents over two years, but they would be much better off with say a penny every quarter with no ceiling. In three years they get their 12 cents, but the rise is gentle and no consumer notices it in the noise of prices bouncing up and down.
Alfred Tennyson wrote:We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Gasoline taxes on the rise- effects?

Unread postby C8 » Sun 02 Aug 2015, 16:40:08

Gas/diesel taxes are on the rise- this seems to be driven by a need to finally tackle long overdue road repairs etc. Several states have risen taxes recently- Washington State now has the 2nd highest US taxes (after Penn).

http://www.thestandarddaily.com/washing ... mmer/4513/

The problem, of course, is that wages have not risen for most Americans and the percentage of Americans who are actually working is the lowest in 3 decades.

What this will lead to is probably less driving, people buying more fuel efficient cars, electric cars, etc. all of which may REDUCE the amount of money that is collected in gas taxes and possibly generate a vicious cycle of tax hikes, less gas use, repeat. It will certainly hit the poor and rural people the hardest- many of whom cannot afford new cars.

If wages keep stagnating- I cannot see a way out of this vicious cycle. The only way out is to pay for road repairs with other tax funds than gas taxes. Does anyone do this? Is there a realistic chance that a market in bootleg gasoline could develop?
C8
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Re: Gasoline taxes on the rise- effects?

Unread postby Lore » Sun 02 Aug 2015, 16:51:09

Maybe then we could move to more mass transportation? Don't you think? A massive network of a difficult to maintain highway system was never sustainable.
The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life.
... Theodore Roosevelt
Lore
Fission
Fission

Unread postby SILENTTODD » Sun 02 Aug 2015, 18:25:27

Here in California we pay the 4th highest gasoline tax in the nation after Pennsylvania, Hawaii, and New York. 60 cents/gallon in State/Federal. Legislature was thinking of adding another 10 cents/gallon till the recent run up in July that saw local gas prices where I live go up 50 cents/gallon in one week!! I paid $4.46/gallon for Super last week in Corona California, on TV they've shown $5/gallon some places in L.A.

Retired as of last year and now on what is termed a "fixed" income, the run up has not effected me as much working people who have to commute long distances daily. I'm an exception to the rule, no wife, no kids, and I have a frugal life style were I can live well within my means. But I really wonder how regular family Joe's make it? (maybe I didn't make it either, differences over lifestyle was one of the reasons I'm no longer married).
Last edited by SILENTTODD on Sun 02 Aug 2015, 18:33:15, edited 2 times in total.
Skeptical scrutiny in both Science and Religion is the means by which deep thoughts are winnowed from deep nonsense-Carl Sagan
SILENTTODD
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby dolanbaker » Sun 02 Aug 2015, 18:26:09

If you think that your fuel taxes are getting high, then you've never driven this side of the pond!
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by rulers as useful.:Anonymous
Our whole economy is based on planned obsolescence.
Hungrymoggy "I am now predicting that Europe will NUKE ITSELF sometime in the first week of January"
dolanbaker
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby C8 » Sun 02 Aug 2015, 18:47:07

Lore wrote:Maybe then we could move to more mass transportation? Don't you think? A massive network of a difficult to maintain highway system was never sustainable.

Except that mass transit becomes more dangerous in a land where salaries are stagnant while unemployment and costs rise. Robberies in major cities transit systems are up as the police have been de-fanged by the Black Lives Matter crowd and sympathetic politicians. Many folks are being attacked by gangs just for fun- lots of feral loose youth looking for entertainment by hurting people.

Liberal law and order policies drive people away from mass transit.
C8
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Lore » Sun 02 Aug 2015, 18:55:10

C8 wrote:
Lore wrote:Maybe then we could move to more mass transportation? Don't you think? A massive network of a difficult to maintain highway system was never sustainable.

Except that mass transit becomes more dangerous in a land where salaries are stagnant while unemployment and costs rise. Robberies in major cities transit systems are up as the police have been de-fanged by the Black Lives Matter crowd and sympathetic politicians. Many folks are being attacked by gangs just for fun- lots of feral loose youth looking for entertainment by hurting people.

Sounds like conspiracy stuff? Any links to facts that such is happening beyond the norm?
The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life.
... Theodore Roosevelt
Lore
Fission
Fission

Unread postby StarvingLion » Sun 02 Aug 2015, 19:35:33

The whole "country" is one big Detroit waiting to collapse. The fairytales of "renewables" are simply runaway corruption.
Outcast_Searcher is a fraud.
StarvingLion
Permanently Banned

Unread postby Lore » Sun 02 Aug 2015, 19:53:22

When I was a young lad in rural America I could have walked 3 miles to a train depot and from there have gone anywhere in the country. Now, from that same spot where I grew up you couldn't even catch a bus and no one is going to take a chance and pick you up hitchhiking. Where is the progress?
... Theodore Roosevelt
Lore
Fission
Fission

Unread postby C8 » Sun 02 Aug 2015, 21:28:04

Lore wrote:
C8 wrote:

Sounds like conspiracy stuff? Any links to facts that such is happening beyond the norm?

Cheap shot reply- Do you even read the news? Google Baltimore record homicide rate July, Chicago crime rise, New York subway crime rise and choose the last 3 months as a filter (of course this is assuming you are really interested in the subject).
C8
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby kanon » Mon 03 Aug 2015, 22:18:18

Transportation is a great subject for partisan BS. Crime, subsidies, unions, liberals -- all the trash is associated with public transportation. The American Way is to sit in traffic and rejoice at the sprawl, pollution, and waste. Miles and miles of cars all lined up, gleaming in the sun, radiating heat, burning gasoline, and depreciating. It is a truly glorious display of our service to the banking class. Meanwhile, the petty criminals and union workers are preying upon the mass transportation users, users who are poor because only poor and minority people would choose riding over their responsibility to personally deal with traffic. Some misguided states have raised gasoline taxes, but this is only because they have failed to drive their poor people to California. As we all know, the liberal welfare of California is a magnet for poor subsidy loving people. If they won't leave Baltimore, then drive them out. Besides, criminals ride around on subsidized public transportation looking for rich people's houses to burglarize. They also ride around looking for policemen so they can be beaten up before snatching a few purses. Yes, public transportation is a breeder of crime, so raised gasoline taxes is a sign of a failed state. The police should tolerate crime on and around public transportation because the car dealers, highway contractors, oil companies, and Repub/Demo politicians are concerned about the poor and want them to have plenty of recreational opportunities. We could read about it on Faux news, if we could read. The highways are deteriorating and get worse every year. The solution is to build new highways and clear the congestion. I say keep the gubmint out of my highways!
kanon
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby Tikib » Tue 04 Aug 2015, 12:09:46

High petrol and diesel taxes are common in Europe and have the desired effect of forcing ppl to use less fuel.
Tikib
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby dolanbaker » Tue 04 Aug 2015, 12:43:06

Tikib wrote:High petrol and diesel taxes are common in Europe and have the desired effect of forcing ppl to use less fuel.

It also means that those who live in remote areas are much poorer than their city counterparts, in extreme situations they're "marooned!".
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by rulers as useful.:Anonymous
Our whole economy is based on planned obsolescence.
Hungrymoggy "I am now predicting that Europe will NUKE ITSELF sometime in the first week of January"
dolanbaker
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Tue 04 Aug 2015, 13:45:36

dolanbaker wrote:
Tikib wrote:High petrol and diesel taxes are common in Europe and have the desired effect of forcing ppl to use less fuel.

It also means that those who live in remote areas are much poorer than their city counterparts, in extreme situations they're "marooned!".

But that's part of the whole idea -- to connect real consequences to decisions.

For 35 years now, I've wanted the gasoline/diesel taxes in the US to be raised systematically, in a gradual enough way not to destroy the economy. If this were done year after year, it would force the vast majority of people to wake up and take the cost of burning fossil fuels WAY more seriously.

In 1980 (after a decade of fuel "crises") I figured a quarter a year increase for two years and then a dime a year for a few decades would be at least a good start. (Decades later I wanted to see this expanded to ALL fossil fuels, but the idea should be clear) .

Consider the people who live in, say, a McMansion in the exurbs of Washington, DC, and each drive their SUV's into DC 100 miles each way on a daily basis to "have the standard of living they want". If their gas taxes on those 400 daily miles of waste were about $80 higher a day (say 20 gallons of gas times $4.00 a gallon higher gas taxes) -- the vast majority of such folks would be making SIGNIFICANTLY different decisions.

But no. Let's complain about being "marooned" as we continue to roast the biosphere. As if that will help. :roll:
Given the track record of the perma-doomer blogs, I wouldn't bet a fast crash doomer's money on their predictions.
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

Unread postby kanon » Wed 05 Aug 2015, 00:09:54

The federal gas tax has been flat for more than two decades even as it brings in billions less than Congress chooses to spend each year building infrastructure. But raising that tax is politically unpalatable to the vast majority of Congress, and McConnell stomped on the idea Wednesday after House Speaker John Boehner (R-Ohio) did the same earlier this year.

“Let me just say we’re not going to raise the gas tax. We’re not going to raise the gas tax,” McConnell said.
McConnell rules out gas tax increase

The impression is the public would rebel against increasing the gas tax. Just imagine all those SUV drivers belly aching about about the gas tax! But, in fact the public probably would not complain much, because the tax would mostly be paid by the Republican sponsors -- the Koch Bros and the other Fossil Fuel corporate welfare suckers.

Pump Shock
The analysis, by Dr. Alison Black, chief economist for the American Road & Transportation Builders Association (ARTBA), found, on average, the price for a gallon of regular gasoline the day after a state gas tax increase goes into effect only reflects about 22 percent of the new levy. A month after enactment, only about a third of the levy shows up in the pump price, she says, and thereafter, it is not a significant retail price factor.

Granted, this is one corporate lobby saying the other lobby should buy lunch, but it shows that concern about voters or the economy is not the motivation here.

One may assume that higher gasoline taxes would discourage consumption, but if the proceeds are used to expand the road system, the result is increased driving. Therefore, I expect no effect from the few states that raised gas taxes. I think the real reason is the Republicans, with Democrat's tacit approval, will try and take highway and fossil fuel subsidy money from other revenue sources, such as social security, medicare, or environmental protection. This is the approach in Texas as Proposition 7 (SJR 5) is scheduled to reroute $2.5 billion to the highway lobby pending a constitutional amendment vote November 3, 2015.
kanon
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby JV153 » Thu 13 Aug 2015, 14:24:28

The gasoline taxes have been rising steadily in China and India too - that's probably why global oil demand growth is slowing and the price of oil is dropping.
JV153

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Thu 13 Aug 2015, 15:13:22

JV153 wrote:The gasoline taxes have been rising steadily in China and India too - that's probably why global oil demand growth is slowing and the price of oil is dropping.

Yeah, because prices have nothing to do with supply and demand. Sure.
Given the track record of the perma-doomer blogs, I wouldn't bet a fast crash doomer's money on their predictions.
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Thu 13 Aug 2015, 15:16:39

Outcast_Searcher wrote:
JV153 wrote:The gasoline taxes have been rising steadily in China and India too - that's probably why global oil demand growth is slowing and the price of oil is dropping.

Yeah, because prices have nothing to do with supply and demand. Sure.

So this had NO effect in 2010 - 2014, when global oil prices averaged around $95ish per barrel. Then suddenly, in about August 2014, it all kicked in and oil prices began to plummet. (Hint: this is sarcasm).

Do you think about microeconomic principles at all before you post about demand and prices for oil?
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

PreviousNext

Return to North America Discussion