Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

LNG / CNG Semi Trucks

General discussions of the systemic, societal and civilisational effects of depletion.

Re: Great idea please don't delete this.

Unread postby Keith_McClary » Tue 28 Jul 2015, 17:50:27

Scrub Puller wrote:Yair . . .

Maybe slightly O/T but when it comes to delivery of gasoline and diesel fuel in the USA how is the product shifted to the roadhouse/service station?

I assume it travels by pipe line between major centres and then by truck?

Cheers.

http://www.refinerlink.com/blog/Pipelin ... ts_to_Pump
Facebook knows you're a dog.
Keith_McClary
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby dashster » Wed 29 Jul 2015, 07:50:12

What about converting cars to batteries or having people take mass transit, and have half of the trucks converted to use gasoline?
dashster
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby ROCKMAN » Wed 29 Jul 2015, 08:27:33

Tiki - "I almost never hear news of new conventional oil deposits." And you also don't hear much about new conventional NG discoveries in the US either. The Rockman works for a private company owned by a wealthy family. Thus having no stock to hype we never got into any of the unconventional play. In our first 3 years we participated in $400 million worth of conventional NG exploration. And then NG prices collapsed. Since then the Rockman has spent exactly $0 drilling for NG. We did find a few small conventional oil exploration projects to drill but they naturally didn't develop much. And that was when we had high oil prices. So the focus switched to enhanced oil recovery from existing fields. The best project involved drilling horizontal wells in a field discover in 1946. But enthusiasm has slide a bit as oil dropped from $90+/bbl to the current level: those hz wells are not cheap.

Bottom line: there weren't a lot of viable oil/NG conventional projects worth drilling when prices were high. So how many would you expect there to be now in the low oil/NG price environment?

And as far as subsidizing alts etc.: it doesn’t matter where the money comes from. There’s a lack of economic viability to drive your solution. As far as the US spending money on military adventures around the world you’ve resorted to the same lame logic of the “if” word…if the US spent those monies differently. So again tell me exactly how you or anyone else would force the US govt to change its spending priorities. No answer…right. So again the “if” part of your fix unfortunately renders your entire idea worthless. Don't tell us what should be done...tell us how to make it happen.
ROCKMAN
Expert
Expert

Unread postby dashster » Wed 29 Jul 2015, 11:06:01

ROCKMAN wrote: As far as the US spending money on military adventures around the world you’ve resorted to the same lame logic of the “if” word…if the US spent those monies differently. So again tell me exactly how you or anyone else would force the US govt to change its spending priorities.

If fossil fuels go into terminal decline globally, it will be interesting to see if the US people and their politicians feel the best use of the massive amount of money they spend on the military is to continue to fund weaponry, and have the military secure an unequal share of the remaining fossil fuels, or to use that money to build renewables and storage and possibly help the electric vehicle market or charging infrastructure. I wonder how the world would react if the US invaded Saudi Arabia, Kuwait and Iran and took over their oil on some false pretense, like they had WMDs that we needed to rid them of? The world claims to have believed our lies on Iraq WMDs, and sat back as we committed war crimes in Iraq, would they do any differently in other countries? Seems like at a minimum, Iran would be a shoo in for the US to invade on false pretenses and get away with it.
dashster
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby yellowcanoe » Wed 29 Jul 2015, 12:26:19

dashster wrote:If fossil fuels go into terminal decline globally, it will be interesting to see if the US people and their politicians feel the best use of the massive amount of money they spend on the military is to continue to fund weaponry, and have the military secure an unequal share of the remaining fossil fuels, or to use that money to build renewables and storage and possibly help the electric vehicle market or charging infrastructure.

As I understand it, the F-35 fighter uses significantly more fuel than the aircraft it is designed to replace. This has been the general trend for new weapon systems -- faster and more powerful comes at the expense of greater fuel consumption. However, the military did discover in Iraq and Afghanistan that when you have insurgents setting off roadside bombs there is a human cost as well as a financial cost in delivering fuel to army units. I believe this did stimulate some efforts to utilize renewable energy sources such as solar on bases and outposts to replace some of the power that was being generated with diesel-electric generators.
"new housing construction" is spelled h-a-b-i-t-a-t d-e-s-t-r-u-c-t-i-o-n.
yellowcanoe
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Tikib » Wed 29 Jul 2015, 12:33:07

F-35's are a dead end. By the time they get into the air in significant numbers there won't be enough fuel to fly them. Drones are the future of air to ground warfare and the F-35 sucks as an air superioirity fighter.
Tikib
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby waterpowerman1 » Wed 29 Jul 2015, 22:58:54

Rock:
It's not hard. You start with city buses but make the filling station (one by the bus garage to start) a private contractor(your local gas station cardlock operator). Then local delivery operators can convert and fill up there if they want, one truck at a time. Don't worry about the long hauls guys for 10 years. You could reduce diesel usage by 25% in 10 years if LNG/CNG is actually cheaper. If not the cities are stuck with a few buses they have to run on gas.
Long haul guys change to containers on trains.
Smart gov. policy is not about spending money and forcing things on people but facilitating people to make good choices.
waterpowerman1
Wood
Wood

Previous

Return to Peak Oil Discussion