Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

How do I get into real life peak oil activism?

General discussions of the systemic, societal and civilisational effects of depletion.

How do I get into real life peak oil activism?

Unread postby DesuMaiden » Mon 13 Jul 2015, 21:04:41

So far, all of my peak oil activism has been online. I've been posting on this site, Facebook and several other sites about peak oil. But I really want to get involved in peak oil in real life. I want to start getting local people active in surviving in a post-oil world. The most I'm doing to get prepared for peak oil is that I work at a local garden that grows vegetables of various sorts. But that's about it. I want more people to actively prepare for peak oil and survive the upcoming collapse of industrial civilization. I want to make more people aware of peak oil and its potential consequences.

By the way, I'm still a doomer. I still believe peak oil will cause this civilization to decay, decline and eventually collapse. I believe a post-oil world would resemble something like the Middle Ages. That's just my beliefs I learned from various peak oil websites.

Anyways, I am looking forward to your suggestions on how I can become more active in real life activism for preparing for peak oil. So far, I'm still a slave to petroleum (i.e. all of the food I eat still comes from petroleum-based sources, all of the products I use are still made of petroleum and etc). I'm trying to slowly become less dependent on petroleum in real life. I need to figure out how to get other people off of the petroleum addiction.

Anyways that's all I have to say for tonight. I feel like working out at the gym later tonight. Cya.
History repeats itself. Just everytime with different characters and players.
DesuMaiden
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Re: How do I get into real life peak oil activism?

Unread postby Subjectivist » Mon 13 Jul 2015, 21:34:50

Take a permaculture class, you will meet people of like mind.
II Chronicles 7:14 if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.
Subjectivist
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby diemos » Mon 13 Jul 2015, 23:21:26

DesuMaiden wrote: I want more people to actively prepare for peak oil and survive the upcoming collapse of industrial civilization.

Why?

They'll just be using up resources that you could be using instead.
diemos
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby careinke » Mon 13 Jul 2015, 23:56:37

I second the Permaculture class.

I'm trying to slowly become less dependent on petroleum in real life. I need to figure out how to get other people off of the petroleum addiction.

Once you figure out ways to get yourself off of your petroleum addiction, your actions will show others how to do it. I suggest you start by eliminating waste, eating local, and ignoring governments whenever possible.
Cliff (Start a rEVOLution, grow a garden)
careinke
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby SeaGypsy » Tue 14 Jul 2015, 03:36:25

I did it other way around. Before PO I was always a doomer since I learned how to think in my early childhood. (An absurdly advanced grade 2 teacher probably helped, a lot).

I spent about 20 years living in tents, houseboats, shacks, with a bit more than half of that on 'intentional communities'.

By the time I fully grokked peak oil, I had been around the world, lived as extremely alternatively as possible for most of my adult life. I had been part of some very successful wilderness campaigns. I had battled alone & in company against all manner of idiocy.

Since grokking peakoil I have taught myself this internet thingy. I enjoy being able to communicate around the world for almost free. I enjoy empowering activism, if at all possible. I still believe in alternative & intentional community being possible & worthwhile.

Yet I have rejoined the mainstream. Work, study, lifestyle, all appears utterly middle class. I share a house with another divorcee who is mad about football & who I have never mentioned a word about what happens here to, in 3 months sharing house he thinks I am madly texting women- the only thing would keep his thumbs moving like mine.

I love boats, more than anything humans have engineered, sailing boats are an eternal adaptation to humanity. Of all the crap in the world, it is still well and truly doable to just sail away from all this bullshit.

That is the ultimate activism. Disappear. Publish if & when inclined & observe from afar. Nothing we do or say is going to overwhelm the oil driven brainless monster that has taken over the only planet we really have, just get out of it's way & hope it dies before we all cook or run out of air, or starve.
SeaGypsy
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Unread postby charmcitysking » Tue 14 Jul 2015, 04:25:40

On a general level, people will see and hear what they want to hear; 'Cultural Cognition'. It takes a truly special person to filter new information without a bias subject to ones preferred worldview.

Peak Oil 'activism' is a tough nut to crack, I have found. You'd have a better chance of converting religious people into atheists.

Keep yourself educated, listen to others, and pay attention to some of the wise-heads on this site (Rockman, SeaGypsy, Pops, etc.)

I found this site over two years ago and it has been an invaluable tool. Maybe your best chance at PO activism is to direct people this way and encourage them to get involved in the dynamics of Peak Oil.
charmcitysking
Peat
Peat

Unread postby SeaGypsy » Tue 14 Jul 2015, 06:56:20

Oops cross post.
'Wise head' ?!? Lmfao have to reset my tinfoil hat for that....
SeaGypsy
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Unread postby davep » Tue 14 Jul 2015, 07:46:48

SeaGypsy wrote:Oops cross post.

It's one of the few benefits of getting older :-D
What we think, we become.
davep
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Unread postby SeaGypsy » Tue 14 Jul 2015, 08:23:24

Desu/

Look out your window.

Where is the hill?

Where is the river?

How can you get from your window, to the top of the hill, by dawn?

(Looking down at your window as the sun rises)

Then how to get to the river?

(Running man needs water!)

Can I drink the water?

Can I swim in the water?

Can I run?

Can I run up the mountain?

By dawn?

Then run to the river?

& Drink,

& Swim?

Look about, & within, find beauty?

Give thanks?

Then go monster killing?

Every day,?

You have my respect, monk.
SeaGypsy
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Unread postby charmcitysking » Tue 14 Jul 2015, 08:45:31

SeaGypsy wrote:Oops cross post.

I thought it sounded a bit more endearing than "old timer" :-D :-D :-D :-D
charmcitysking
Peat
Peat

Unread postby zoidberg » Tue 14 Jul 2015, 18:13:55

You need people you can trust. Start with your family.
zoidberg
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby zoidberg » Tue 14 Jul 2015, 18:16:02

Also leave the doom stuff aside. You want people to focus on disaster preparations which can be anything. No one knows the future let alone how peak oil will play out.
zoidberg
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Fishman » Tue 14 Jul 2015, 21:26:18

Plant a garden, learn how to be a leader in Middle Age scenarios. Go to Greece and watch the slide downward
Obama, the FUBAR presidency gets scraped off the boot
Fishman
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Withnail » Tue 14 Jul 2015, 21:49:24

DesuMaiden wrote:So far, all of my peak oil activism has been online. I've been posting on this site, Facebook and several other sites about peak oil. But I really want to get involved in peak oil in real life. I want to start getting local people active in surviving in a post-oil world.

My advice is to accumulate a lot of guns.

Also lots of of fuel and vehicles.

And lots of black leather spiked armour.

Then you and your friends can totally rule the post collapse future.
Withnail
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Return to Peak Oil Discussion