Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

World Grain Status (merged)

Re: World Grain Status (merged)

Unread postby ritter » Mon 06 Jul 2015, 12:09:53

Anybody know what happened to Zardoz? (thread originator)
ritter
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby GoghGoner » Mon 06 Jul 2015, 16:03:41

ritter wrote:Anybody know what happened to Zardoz? (thread originator)

https://youtu.be/YOROvO2fxTc
GoghGoner
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Tanada » Mon 06 Jul 2015, 17:32:12

I emailed him back in December, he is fine but figured that the Fracking revolution makes PO pushed off into the future so he went on to other concerns. If the fracking bubble pops big time he might return, or he could be lurking right now to see if we are talking about him lol.
Alfred Tennyson wrote:We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby ritter » Tue 07 Jul 2015, 17:28:52

Tanada wrote:

I emailed him back in December, he is fine but figured that the Fracking revolution makes PO pushed off into the future so he went on to other concerns. If the fracking bubble pops big time he might return, or he could be lurking right now to see if we are talking about him lol.

Thanks. I very much enjoyed his (and other missing members') posts. Glad he's well.
ritter
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Newfie » Tue 07 Jul 2015, 22:10:27

kiwichick wrote:
i'd bet that any country with a reasonably competent government will try to ensure the essential services are maintained; including the system that provides food for their citizens

Well then the U.S. is stuffed! :oops:
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Newfie » Tue 07 Jul 2015, 22:18:37

Sparky, thanks for the recommendation on "The Taste of War"
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby kiwichick » Tue 07 Jul 2015, 22:49:17

@ newfie

was it Churchill who said "that the Americans will always do the right thing; after they have tried everything else"

or words to that effect?
kiwichick
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby M_B_S » Wed 05 Aug 2015, 02:15:44

Global Warming Alarm

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/ ... an-harvest

French Corn Fried by Heat Wave Signals Plunging European Harvest
by Rudy Ruitenberg
August 5, 2015 — 12:01 AM CEST Updated on August 5, 2015 — 5:27 AM CEST

Corn in parts of France, Europe’s biggest grower, is about half as tall as it should be and in the worst condition that Luc Esprit has seen since 2003.
“The corn is simply fried,” said Esprit, the director general of Maiz’Europ’, a Montardon-based trade organization. He spent the past three weeks surveying damage from a record heat wave stunting crops across western Europe. “It’s not a desert, but the soils are cracked,” he said. “There are major water shortages. Where there’s non-irrigated corn, there are major pollination problems, with plants that have no ears.”
After the biggest European corn harvest ever last year, production in 2015 is poised to plunge. Output in the 28 nations of the European Union will fall 19 percent to 62.8 million metric tons, based on the median of eight analyst and trader estimates in a Bloomberg survey. The drop will be the biggest in EU production data going back to 2001.

Global Warming?

Here is the problem for YOU!

What will you eat after the heat?

Are you still driving your SUV for fun? Have fun and die!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KELy4064dHw
M_B_S
M_B_S
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby davep » Wed 05 Aug 2015, 03:45:33

We have corn in the field next to us (in Eastern France) and despite the length of the heatwave and drought, it seems to be doing OK. I guess it's down to the generally high water table here and the natural humidity that took time to disappear. Hopefully the poor local farmers can make a bit of money this year then.

We've had some great rain over the past week or so, which has really helped after six weeks or so of non-stop heatwave.
What we think, we become.
davep
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Unread postby sparky » Wed 05 Aug 2015, 20:53:20

"06/08/2015 09:39
French wheat harvest 'to smash record"
http://www.glencoregrain.com.au/index.p ... ews&id=680

Heat is hardly a problem once the crop has matured ,
corn thrive on heat , it's a very thirsty crop , plenty of water and sunshine is beneficial
it keep the bugs and diseases down and improve the protein content as long as there is good soil moisture
the only drawback is the loss in weight

wet is more of a problem , it make harvesting very tricky , rot the grain and give bugs and weeds a free pass
Cold and dry are killer during the very fragile time when crops are germinating and heading out of the soil
if the shoots are fried or frozen , that's it folks !
sparky
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby davep » Thu 06 Aug 2015, 01:26:12

Wheat matures far earlier than corn. Here they don't irrigate, so I think a few more days without water and the corn crop was going to be in pretty bad shape. As it is, it's looking fine, but maybe the actual cob yield is down.
What we think, we become.
davep
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Unread postby kiwichick » Thu 06 Aug 2015, 07:24:51

@ sparky

it could be an "interesting " year for the grain crops in Australia this year if the El Nino conditions continue thru spring

too much heat during spring could significantly reduce the grain yields across Eastern Australia ... especially if it's a dry spring
kiwichick
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby sparky » Thu 06 Aug 2015, 19:23:32

Yep cokies in the bush are not optimistic ,
the worst possible case is , let the cattle graze on the sparse harvest as it's not worth the cost and effort to bring it in
sparky
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Meanwhile, in Russia...

Unread postby dolanbaker » Fri 07 Aug 2015, 08:27:18

they are destroying food!
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-33814362
Russia has bulldozed a pile of Western-produced cheese and tonnes of other foodstuffs imported in violation of sanctions.

The country has also steamrollered fruit and burnt a huge pile of bacon.

The actions come a year after Russia banned some Western food products in retaliation to EU and US sanctions applied after Moscow annexed Crimea.

The destruction has caused an outcry from anti-poverty campaigners who say it should have been given to the poor.

One steamroller took an hour to crush nine tonnes of cheese. Another consignment was due to be burnt. Boxes of bacon have been incinerated. Peaches and tomatoes were also due to be crushed by tractors
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by rulers as useful.:Anonymous
Our whole economy is based on planned obsolescence.
Hungrymoggy "I am now predicting that Europe will NUKE ITSELF sometime in the first week of January"
dolanbaker
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby GoghGoner » Fri 07 Aug 2015, 08:55:33

Food destruction and low commodity prices have something of a history.

During the Great Depression of the 1930s, agricultural price support programs led to vast amounts of food being deliberately destroyed at a time when malnutrition was a serious problem in the United States and hunger marches were taking place in cities across the country. For example, the federal government bought 6 million hogs in 1933 alone and destroyed them. Huge amounts of farm produce were plowed under, in order to keep it off the market and maintain prices at the officially fixed level, and vast amounts of milk were poured down the sewers for the same reason. Meanwhile, many American children were suffering from diseases caused by malnutrition.

–Thomas Sowell, Basic Economics (3rd Edition, Basic Books, 2007), p. 56.
GoghGoner
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Is France’s supermarket waste law heading for Europe?

Unread postby dolanbaker » Tue 18 Aug 2015, 18:19:43

Slightly OT but relevant.

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-33907737
Plans to introduce a French law that bans supermarkets from destroying unsold food and obliges them to give it to charity is irritating retailers who say they already make a big effort to fight waste.

Under the law, stores of more than 400 sq m would have until July 2016 to sign contracts with charities or food banks, and to start giving them unsold produce.

It follows a media campaign run by a young right-wing politician, Arash Derambarsh, who says he was outraged by the sight of homeless people last winter scrambling in supermarket bins.

Good to see a reigning in of wasteful supermarkets. The likes of Aldi & Lidl waste very little.
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by rulers as useful.:Anonymous
Our whole economy is based on planned obsolescence.
Hungrymoggy "I am now predicting that Europe will NUKE ITSELF sometime in the first week of January"
dolanbaker
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Newfie » Tue 18 Aug 2015, 20:59:39

I found this report a while ago and it surprised me.

The EU became the world's biggest exporter of agricultural foodstuffs in 2013. Goods worth $163 billion left the EU, beating the US figure of $156 billion. Sales were driven by record exports to China and other emerging market

http://www.rt.com/business/168096-eu-top-food-exporter/

Reading "Taste of War" (thanks again Sparky) it spoke of how poor nutrition was in the world leading up to WWII and how food insecurity stoked the hostilities.

Back the, pre WWII, pre Gree Revolution, had about 2.5 billion souls on Earth, and we weren't eating so good. Not nearly as well as now.

This book talks at length about how various governments handled the food shortages. It became clear to me that the state of affairs in a time of contraction could vary greatly depending upon governmental policy. That makes it very difficult to do any real good long term planning, the governmental ineptitude is out of our control and widely variable. :x

If there was a take away it struck me that having a small subsistence holding far from industrial or population centers would be your best bet. But just at bet. Of course that was WWII, when production was king. Things might shake out differently in a deflationary downward spiral.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Subjectivist » Sat 05 Sep 2015, 22:53:48

Could somebody translate this USDA report into plain English? I am tired and I can't make heads or tails of it. On the one hand I think it says that American wheat exports will be up on international demand, but in another spot it indicates the strong dollar is putting the brakes on international sales.

http://usda.mannlib.cornell.edu/usda/cu ... 4-2015.pdf
II Chronicles 7:14 if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.
Subjectivist
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby M_B_S » Wed 04 Nov 2015, 07:37:42

South Africa in midst of 'epic drought'
At least 2.7 million households affected in worst drought to hit country since the 1980s, government officials say.
Azad Essa | 04 Nov 2015 10:48 GMT | Weather, Poverty & Development, Environment, Africa, South Africa

South Africa's capital, Pretoria, has already implemented water restrictions.

On Wednesday, Reuters news agency, quoting an official, said the drought-hit northern Mpumalanga and Limpopo provinces would be declared disaster areas for agriculture in the coming days, a claim a spokesperson for the Department of Water and Sanitation would not confirm.
http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2015/11/s ... 34236.html
The gates of hell are wide opened by human mankind selfmade global warming.

The bill is to pay.... says Mother Nature.

M_B_S
M_B_S
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby ROCKMAN » Wed 04 Nov 2015, 08:17:37

sub - A late response. Probably best to read "putting the brakes on US exports. Which is probably why EU ag exports are booming
ROCKMAN
Expert
Expert

PreviousNext

Return to Environment, Weather & Climate