Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Ford unveils an eBike that fits in a car trunk

Discussions of conventional and alternative energy production technologies.

Ford unveils an eBike that fits in a car trunk

Unread postby vox_mundi » Thu 25 Jun 2015, 17:16:55

Don't need a spare anymore ...

Ford unveils MoDe:Flex—an eBike that fits in a car trunk

Ford has announced via Twitter (and YouTube) the unveiling of a new electronic bike (eBike) it calls the MoDe:Flex—and its big draw, in addition to serving as a motor assisted pedal vehicle, is that it can be broken down and folded and put neatly into a Ford car trunk.

The eBike also comes with a smartwatch app that can track heart-rate, provide directions, offer weather and parking info, and perhaps most importantly, help decide when to turn on the electric motor to help with pedaling. It also does things like alert the driver (by vibrating the handle-bars) of upcoming potholes.

Notably, Ford points out that the bike will fit in Ford car trunks, as in, not in trunks of cars made by other car makers. Presumably, the company has plans for allowing for charging the bike while the car is in the trunk, though that would seem to preclude the use of the trunk for other purposes, such as for holding groceries. The company has not yet given specs on the bike, but others have noted that it appears similar to another concept eBike the company built, the MoDe:Pro—that one has a 200 watt motor and a top speed of 16 miles per hour. Ford has also not said whether it intends to actually market the MoDe:Flex, or whether it is just another of its test cases to see if there might be customer demand for such a vehicle.

http://mashable.com/2015/06/24/ford-ebike-mode-flex/

The unveiling comes just three months after the company introduced both the Mode:Me and Mode:Pro eBikes, models intended for commuters and delivery services, respectively. With the MoDe:Flex, Ford is diving into a third consumer base: The "bike enthusiast."

But, I want one of these ...

The US Army Is Investing In Hoverbike Tech

Last year we shared the story of UK-based Malloy Aeronautics, a tech firm that was attempting to raise £30,000 to develop hoverbikes. The Kickstarter campaign ended up bringing in over £64,000, prompting the US Army to take notice.

At last week’s International Paris Airshow, Malloy Aeronautics announced that they had signed a deal with the U.S. Army Research Laboratory to develop hoverbikes – and they’re not the only ones. It was also revealed that Maryland-based SURVICE Engineering Company will team up with Malloy to work on the hoverbike tech.

Malloy’s hoverbike, basically a large quadcopter capable of lifting a human, was originally developed to replace helicopters for search and rescue or cattle mustering while the Army’s plans seem to be aimed at reconnaissance.

http://arstechnica.com/cars/2015/06/us- ... veillance/
“There are three classes of people: those who see. Those who see when they are shown. Those who do not see.” ― Leonardo da Vinci

Insensible before the wave so soon released by callous fate. Affected most, they understand the least, and understanding, when it comes, invariably arrives too late.
vox_mundi
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Re: Ford unveils an eBike that fits in a car trunk

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Thu 02 Jul 2015, 11:28:41

Naturally no specifics like detailed specs or pricing information. Marketing fluff so far. So looking on the web for e-bikes, what I see is over $2000 for a decent brand, short warranties, short or dodgy range claims, aaaaaaaaaaand it's a BICYCLE.

Example: http://www.evelo.com/?gclid=CjwKEAjwwtO ... oCDhvw_wcB

So, IMO, either these progress a lot like the electric car hopefully will with better batteries, or I don't see the general public lining up to ride these many miles to work in rain, snow, etc. on city streets (bike lanes or not).
Given the track record of the perma-doomer blogs, I wouldn't bet a fast crash doomer's money on their predictions.
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Thu 02 Jul 2015, 12:09:17

pstarr wrote:The irony? Thank you, but I plan to stay on the sidelines. On my unobtainium skateboard. Give me a ringy-dingy when Ford or GM introduces a eCar that fits in the saddlebag of my nuclear tricycle.

I just thought of a new sporting event. Monster trucks vs. robot-driven nuclear tricycles! What could be more awesome? I would expect better attendance if marketing used the spelling "nukular" for the tricycles though (based on my understanding of the "monster truck" crowd).
Given the track record of the perma-doomer blogs, I wouldn't bet a fast crash doomer's money on their predictions.
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

Unread postby ROCKMAN » Thu 02 Jul 2015, 14:29:16

FYI: It's been done better and cheaper for years. Before switching to a power chair (essentially an electric wheel chair on steroids) I got by with a 4 wheel electric scooter. It broke quickly breaks down into 4 pieces with the heaviest being 30#, the battery. It easily fit behind the small area behind the rear sea in my SUV. Less than $800 with a 12 mile range. And I could keep if charged while driving via the lighter plug convenient located in the rear. And there are a variety of other options including 3-wheel electric scooter that can hit 30 mph. I suspect the Ford bike with less speed and power will cost more.

Of course at 230# my power chair won't go into the trunk. It required getting a converted minivan with a ramp I can roll into the side. And this ain't no sissy power chair. LOL. It's got 14" mid-drive wheels that easily get me across a drill site. And 2 big ass 12 volts to give me range and power. Except, of course, when it's too muddy. But I could if I got some nubby tires. But my wife already gives me a hard time when I come back with a little bit of mud in the van. LOL. So in those situations I'm back to my "polio crutches". But I'll park close so I don't have to far to hobble.

Yes: just a gimmick to get the attention of folks who haven't a clue of the very wide variety of small electric transport available for many years. Just had a thought: I wonder if there's a training wheels option? As I pointed out all the other available equipment is either 3 or 4 wheel.
ROCKMAN
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Newfie » Thu 02 Jul 2015, 14:46:53

Rock,
I never realized you were mobility challenged.

My wife has a folding bike for the boat. Something like this might interest her.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby ROCKMAN » Thu 02 Jul 2015, 16:13:05

Newfie - I ain't mobility challenge...I just have a paralyzed right leg. LOL. It's the folks who try to stay up with me when I crank my chair up to 12 mph...they're the ones with the challenge. LOL. Of course with engineers always looking for something to occupy their minds: one built a power chair that does 60 mph.

Go online and you'll be amassed at the options for your wife. Some weigh only 30 or 40 pounds. Not as comfy as my chair and a bit pricey but for cruising the mall, etc. they would be great. And then there are street legal scooters that can go 30+ mph. Too fast for me. At 12 mph I try to avoid sharp turns: my mid-wheel design has a zero turning radius. Great for moving around the office. Not so much for 90 degree turns at high speed. LOL.
ROCKMAN
Expert
Expert

Unread postby ROCKMAN » Thu 02 Jul 2015, 19:29:21

Newfie - For instance here are dozens of e-bikes. Many look much more transportable then the Ford bike. And probably cheaper.

https://www.google.com/search?q=portabl ... d=0CC4QsAQ

And here's a shot of my wheels: https://www.google.com/search?q=portabl ... d=0CC4QsAQ

Depending how much time your wife would spend riding on her butt would determine what way she would go.
ROCKMAN
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Newfie » Thu 02 Jul 2015, 22:13:48

Thanks man, you ROCK!

But you double posted the Google search, still no pic of YOUR wheels.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby ROCKMAN » Fri 03 Jul 2015, 09:35:46

Newfie - lets try this one:
http://www.spinlife.com/Pride-Jazzy-600 ... tID=103386

Besides the big wheels notice the heavy duty springs on the front castors. Allows me to jump 4" curbs. But my ass does pay a price for it. LOL.
ROCKMAN
Expert
Expert

Unread postby ROCKMAN » Fri 03 Jul 2015, 09:39:03

Newfie - That still didn't work right. But look down the page for the "Heavy Duty/High Weight Capacity". That's it.
ROCKMAN
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Newfie » Fri 03 Jul 2015, 18:47:33

Cool, thanks.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby ROCKMAN » Sat 04 Jul 2015, 16:35:13

Newfie - Not nearly as cool as a picture of a rig a former Ranger with half his left leg blown off showed me a couple of weeks ago in San Antonio: it didn't have wheels...tank tracks. He was still an avid hunter and showed me a pic in a snow covered mountain meadow with his big mule deer. It is made by a tractor company. I don't really need such equipment but that didn't cool my envy down. LOL.
ROCKMAN
Expert
Expert

Unread postby ROCKMAN » Sat 04 Jul 2015, 17:14:03

Not sure if this was his model but you get the idea. Ebike my ass! LOL.

http://store.tracfab.com/products/tracf ... wheelchair
ROCKMAN
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Newfie » Sat 04 Jul 2015, 20:52:56

I want one, moss oak. Ya think Medicare will cove it?
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby ROCKMAN » Sun 05 Jul 2015, 09:52:17

Newfie - The trick will be getting your doctor to write you a prescription for one. In fact, that's how I got the state of Texas pay for my power chair. But they did it for a self-serving reason: the program is only for working folks: keep us working and they keep collecting taxes.
ROCKMAN
Expert
Expert

Return to Energy Technology