Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

THE Earth in 2100 Thread (merged)

Re: Planet Earth 2100?

Unread postby Plantagenet » Tue 22 May 2012, 17:14:07

After the Mayan apocalypse of 2012, the giant Christian Rapture of 2048, the shiite vs. sunni suicide bomb wars of the 2070s, and the nuclear exchanges and germ warfare unleashed during the Inuit vs. Ubangi race wars of the 2090s there just won't be many people left by 2100.
Never underestimate the ability of Joe Biden to f#@% things up---Barack Obama
-----------------------------------------------------------
Keep running between the raindrops.
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Re: THE Earth in 2100 Thread (merged)

Unread postby Timo » Tue 22 May 2012, 17:29:32

In retrospect, the 21st Century sure was a big disappointment. In hindsight, we should have had more forethought.
Timo

Unread postby Corella » Wed 23 May 2012, 05:41:18

I´d think it better to derive scenarios from acts than doing the opposite! Most radical advise everywhere within the forum come from personal projections from inside the authors heads. That´s hardly helpful.
Corella
Peat
Peat

Unread postby Ibon » Wed 23 May 2012, 11:35:49

Corella wrote:Most radical advise everywhere within the forum come from personal projections from inside the authors heads. That´s hardly helpful.

Not only the radical ones...the reason any of us have hung on to this topic as long as we have has something to do with what you are stating here. And that is that the consequences of resource constraints in general represent a potential force to undermine the projections in all our heads whether they be political, economic, social, religious, etc.

I only remain active with this topic as long as I see the the way that peak oil, climate change and other resource constraints can act as catalysts toward a forced transformation........ because believe me, we are not capable of doing this willfully.........
Patiently awaiting the pathogens. Our resiliency resembles an invasive weed. We are the Kudzu Ape
blog: http://blog.mounttotumas.com/
Ibon
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Corella » Wed 23 May 2012, 14:03:33

Agreed Ibon, i quite share the same hope. Personally less optimistic according species distinction than yourself. And: i think issues might be even more delicate than physical resource constraints for itself. The grow of population came and have to come from biosphere. Physical resources are the means of harvesting it. This potentially boosts discussed effects of physical resource shortages. Most discussions approaching this are about fertilizer and its production. But that view is much too short. Population is depending on the grade and efficiency to make use from biosphere. I think most people here know about this classic:

http://www.jstor.org/discover/10.2307/1 ... 9029384067
Corella
Peat
Peat

Unread postby Corella » Fri 25 May 2012, 03:00:57

Correction: "species extinction".

Below please find a nice paper with a good summery of Vitousek´s findings (page 622) (forum member Cephalotus gave that hint in the German forum). Further on the author tries to estimate a bit closer the possible bias which is a very nice example no one can see sharp pictures inside nebula balls unless just imaging it. And it might give a hint, that there are more perspectives than just oil-flow-charts...

http://www.vaclavsmil.com/wp-content/up ... 13-636.pdf
Corella
Peat
Peat

Unread postby onlooker » Sun 07 Jun 2015, 18:55:39

Virtually extinct/extinct or living much better because higher intelligence from outer space assisted in reconstructing society and cleaning and restoring Earth. :-D
"We are mortal beings doomed to die
onlooker
Fission
Fission

Unread postby M_B_S » Mon 08 Jun 2015, 09:25:58

onlooker wrote:Virtually extinct/extinct or living much better because higher intelligence from outer space assisted in reconstructing society and cleaning and restoring Earth. :-D

Interesting but i think an AI created on earth will save itself and maybe us ?

This AI / KI will be like a Messias createtd by Mankinds collective minds.

M_B_S
M_B_S
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby onlooker » Thu 28 Jun 2018, 17:39:56

Well after "paying the price" of overshooting our environmental capacity, those humans who may still be around with a relatively intact technology/knowledge base can employ the ideas in this article to forge a better and more sustainable world
https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-44389413
onlooker
Fission
Fission

Unread postby Plantagenet » Sat 30 Jun 2018, 13:54:45

After President Malia Obama miscalculated and triggered a nuclear war and civilizational collapse in 2050, the world struggled to regain its footing. But since all the easy oil was gone, and all the easy metals had been mined, and all the cities were destroyed by nuclear bombs and rising sea levels, and all the farmland was of minimal use due to climate change, the few remaining people eventually gave up on trying to rebuild civilization, and instead decided to just party all the time, stopping the party only long enough to scavenge and eat the few remaining bags of corn nuts, cheetos and cans of spam they could find in the ruins of the few remaining towns.
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby draffen » Tue 03 Jul 2018, 16:07:28

The Canadians built a massive wall at their southern border to keep refugees out (especially from USA). I think this was around 2055 if I recall correctly that they finished that project.
draffen
Wood
Wood

Unread postby Cid_Yama » Wed 04 Jul 2018, 05:08:04

James Burke was the first and most comprehensive of the prognosticators. I'm sure he thought he was being pessimistic. Shows the entire history.

After the Warming

Closer to the truth, but still falls short.

The Age of Stupid

Both are worth the watch. James Burke is by far best. Wish it had turned out that way. But they clearly got a comprehensive warning in 1989.

But this is the best warning. A clip from Connections Season 1 Episode 1 (1980)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPcZ_5uCldg
Last edited by Cid_Yama on Wed 04 Jul 2018, 06:02:39, edited 1 time in total.
"For my part, whatever anguish of spirit it may cost, I am willing to know the whole truth; to know the worst and provide for it." - Patrick Henry

The level of injustice and wrong you endure is directly determined by how much you quietly submit to. Even to the point of extinction.
Cid_Yama
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby M_B_S » Wed 04 Jul 2018, 05:19:27

Hi Cid

Thx for the links

I was 18 years old 1989 and just ready with GAIA Theory J. Lovelock reading.

After that I knew we are doomed if nothing changed and .... nothing changed.

=> Climate War

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2lMNvtY0WY

Prepare for the worst!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMCIgu2zjH4

Edge of Extinction: Elaborating on "This is Probably It"

Music on:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSE03QVnXg0

M_B_S
M_B_S
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Cid_Yama » Wed 04 Jul 2018, 06:13:59

You are so young. In your 40's, but compared to me. I got to live a full life. I don't envy you. It's hard enough growing old. To have to go through what's coming...
"For my part, whatever anguish of spirit it may cost, I am willing to know the whole truth; to know the worst and provide for it." - Patrick Henry

The level of injustice and wrong you endure is directly determined by how much you quietly submit to. Even to the point of extinction.
Cid_Yama
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Newfie » Wed 04 Jul 2018, 06:30:24

Cid,

I’m just a wee bit younger than you but I have similar thoughts. It’s frustrating to not be able to communicate better our future state to my kids. I see them caught in the whole slave wage consummerisim trap. Not unlike I was at their age. If I could communicate better I would urge them to prepare more. I’ll try to leave them something if value, if they can recognize that value.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby onlooker » Wed 04 Jul 2018, 09:31:20

And what about Dr James Hanson, already a very accomplished scientist in the 80's warning about CC before Congress, Or even before the prestigious limits to growth study of the 70's. And in the 60's Prof. Erlich warning of out of control population. So we had ample sufficient warning. Those in position to understand the full ramifications and who could have communicated it to the masses and marshaled and led an effective response chose to ignore the warnings. Now our species will be reduced to a shadow of its former self if in fact we can avoid extinction. I have come to accept this, the way, I accept my eventual death
onlooker
Fission
Fission

Unread postby Newfie » Wed 04 Jul 2018, 18:50:33

I’ve said it before, it all feels like the opening of a bad 1950’s B sci-fi horror flick.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby onlooker » Wed 04 Jul 2018, 18:57:08

Newfie wrote:I’ve said it before, it all feels like the opening of a bad 1950’s B sci-fi horror flick.

:lol:
onlooker
Fission
Fission

Unread postby Cid_Yama » Thu 05 Jul 2018, 06:41:28

Newfie wrote:Cid,

I’m just a wee bit younger than you but I have similar thoughts. It’s frustrating to not be able to communicate better our future state to my kids. I see them caught in the whole slave wage consummerisim trap. Not unlike I was at their age. If I could communicate better I would urge them to prepare more. I’ll try to leave them something if value, if they can recognize that value.

I wish I could provide a link to Star Trek Next Generation: Inner Light Episode. It shows exactly where I am with this. They deserve to have a full life, but they won't, and it's a hard knowledge to possess.

Cid_Yama
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby M_B_S » Thu 05 Jul 2018, 07:31:03

Hi Cid
this film comes to my mind:

Maybe in future the carussell is running in reality.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSnLU9nyFSA

Logan's Run
I watched it and was afraid that it will come to reality in the future... but must learn that tiny archipels in the pacific had practised exact an equal ritual.
I have nothing to offer but blood, toil, tears and sweat.

M_B_S
M_B_S
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

PreviousNext

Return to Environment, Weather & Climate