Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

back to roots aqua farm

How to save energy through both societal and individual actions.

back to roots aqua farm

Unread postby phaster » Mon 19 Jan 2015, 19:06:22

Last week purchased a few aqua farm kits to play around with....

https://www.backtotheroots.com/shop/aquafarm

figured its kinda a neat model to grasp the basics! Anyone else come across this and scale things up?
truth is,...

www.ThereIsNoPlanet-B.org
phaster
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Re: back to roots aqua farm

Unread postby careinke » Mon 19 Jan 2015, 19:31:15

I got one for Fathers day and played around with it for a while. It is a nice teaching tool, but requires more work and energy than the little bit of food you get out of it. Don't expect it to stay that clear. It is now put away in storage.
Cliff (Start a rEVOLution, grow a garden)
careinke
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby Shaved Monkey » Mon 19 Jan 2015, 21:22:30

Join up to this forum
Aquaponics
http://backyardaquaponics.com/forum/index.php
plenty of free info lots of experienced guys.
Its a lot easier for people who have access to Tilapia (illegal in Australia) as the loop closes.
You still have power and infrastructure inputs but you can feed Tilapia virtually anything and they breed in captivity.
Ready to turn Zombies into WWOOFers
Shaved Monkey
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby phaster » Sun 08 Mar 2015, 03:14:24

actually found a full scale system I'm looking to purchase called "endless food systems"

http://www.endlessfoodsystems.com/full-size-kits.html

thoughts?
truth is,...

www.ThereIsNoPlanet-B.org
phaster
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Shaved Monkey » Sun 08 Mar 2015, 04:44:15

Whats your goals?
Lots of fish and veg or some fish and a few expensive veg?
And why aquaponics?
Its a bit like having a dairy cow you cant leave, if it falters you lose all your fish
I did heaps of research and came up with not doing it
I have crap soil and not enough water but the time and cost didnt add up.
You are reliant on power supply, feed company and baby fish supplier.
One power failure or ammonia spike and its start all over again.
If I was thinking aquaponics I would want a closed loop system maybe a dam some wind power or solar power to move water some maggot catchers and solar bug lights and a Chinampa system to grow within it.
For me I have an ocean and river and lots of stocked dams at my door step and I can grow lots of the high priced veg in my raised garden beds.

But if you think it will fill your needs go for it knowing it can be a huge on going investment in stuff and time
Shaved Monkey
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Quinny » Sun 08 Mar 2015, 08:41:26

I'm in the process of starting up, and it's a brilliant learning curve and doesn't take that much investment/effort. A solar pump doesn't set you back too much and I'm using it to complement my gardening, using hydro/aquaponics to start seedlings a lot more consistently than I did in soil. I love fish though ;)
Live, Love, Learn, Leave Legacy.....oh and have a Laugh while you're doing it!
Quinny
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Shaved Monkey » Mon 09 Mar 2015, 03:26:51

Quinny wrote:I'm in the process of starting up, and it's a brilliant learning curve and doesn't take that much investment/effort. A solar pump doesn't set you back too much and I'm using it to complement my gardening, using hydro/aquaponics to start seedlings a lot more consistently than I did in soil. I love fish though ;)

Lots of system made from recycled stuff.
But the inputs are still there.
Solar pump wont give you a massive water movement to run too big a system or stock too many fish.
What fish variety
Stocking rate?
How do you feed the fish?
How do you re-stock?
Its a balancing act fish, bacteria, plants all have to be doing their job.
Peeponics is a good way to start though if you just want seedlings.
Someone was doing duckponics too,which sounds fun
Shaved Monkey
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Quinny » Mon 09 Mar 2015, 15:06:20

I'm using IBC based system and will end up 2 1000 liter tanks and 4 growbeds plus a few buckets and seedling trays. I'll initially use a standard mains sump pump because I've got a couple. the flow rate to flood and drain four grow beds isn't that much, I worked out that 2 standard 'fountain' solar pump would give you enough flow to keep fish healthy and 4 grow beds fed.

I'm planning on breeding trout, with a low stocking rate to give bigger fish.

I will use pellets but supplement from worm farm and maggots from waste. I've had half a dozen small perch in one IBC for about months without feeding them at all.

I intend using some fish for stocking a friends lake, and would re-stock with fry. You can also breed trout in captivity, though I don't know how yet.

When I had my pilot system it found it's own balance and I was very pleased with the results.

I tried a 'hybrid' version of Quackaponics but not a closed system, but it certainly made the beds more productive. I basically pumped the dirty duck pond water into a bin and then had irrigation lines that trickle fed soil beds. I initially had problems with blocked pipes, but added more water and that seemed to sort the problem. The soil beds with duck pond water did much better than the clean water ones. Foxes have caused us with a continuity problem though.

I'd not come across peeponics, but I'm already looking at building a system - Thanks very much ;)
Quinny
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Quinny » Mon 09 Mar 2015, 18:00:14

Pete - I've got chickens in the backyard and we love them. Surplus of cocks at the moment, but missus is more than happy. We let them free range, and we were a bit concerned that egg production was down till we found the bantams secret stash. 32 eggs this morning the missus has got some baking to do!

Aquaponics is not really that high tech, and it's not that hard work either. Power outages can be managed and if it come to that stage I'll lose a hell of a lot in more cash terms from my Freezer defrosting than the 'crop' which would have to be processed pdq. I used to keep 100 fish in a much smaller tank with just aeration for weeks. If it comes down to it you can always use a bucket ;)
Quinny
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Return to Conservation & Efficiency