Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Crude price record ($ 147.27) pt 2

General discussions of the systemic, societal and civilisational effects of depletion.

Re: Another Record ($147.27) (crude oil prices)

Unread postby lowem » Sat 25 Jul 2009, 22:49:29

DoomWarrior wrote:... now inching past $68/bbl ...

$75 is the next level I'll be watching closely if it breaks above $70. Let's see if we get that coming Monday or if we get an anti-climax instead :lol:
Live quotes - oil/gold/silver
lowem
Expert
Expert

Re: Another Record ($147.27)

Unread postby Tanada » Tue 06 Jan 2015, 14:38:01

rdsaltpower wrote:Oil traded below 34.00 today.

This was the lowest comment I could find about the 2008-2009 price crash, December 19, 2008.

Anyone think we will get down below $34.00/bbl this time around?
Alfred Tennyson wrote:We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Crude price record ($ 147.27) pt 2

Unread postby Pops » Tue 06 Jan 2015, 15:35:09

Really, there is no rational reason for it to be any price as shown by the long run of high price and the large drop lately. If there were, there would be no futures markets. If there were an equation that showed what the price should be, rather than simply "what the market will bear" a whole bunch of gamblers money managers, futures traders, hedgers and even producers would be out of work.

All prices, current and forward, take the present and the future into consideration. Even current spot prices not only reflect the actual conditions right now, they too are an attempt to gauge the market tomorrow.

So there is a lot of gambling that goes on even with spot prices. I bet we'll start to see storage filling up as deep pockets buy and hold hoping fopr a better price tomorrow.
The legitimate object of government, is to do for a community of people, whatever they need to have done, but can not do, at all, or can not, so well do, for themselves -- in their separate, and individual capacities.
-- Abraham Lincoln, Fragment on Government (July 1, 1854)
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby Tanada » Tue 06 Jan 2015, 15:57:07

Pops wrote:Really, there is no rational reason for it to be any price as shown by the long run of high price and the large drop lately. If there were, there would be no futures markets. If there were an equation that showed what the price should be, rather than simply "what the market will bear" a whole bunch of gamblers money managers, futures traders, hedgers and even producers would be out of work.

All prices, current and forward, take the present and the future into consideration. Even current spot prices not only reflect the actual conditions right now, they too are an attempt to gauge the market tomorrow.

So there is a lot of gambling that goes on even with spot prices. I bet we'll start to see storage filling up as deep pockets buy and hold hoping fopr a better price tomorrow.

As a history lover I want to see where we were as part of my guess about how we got where we are and where we will be later on LOL.

We went from the all time high ($ 147.27) on or around July 11, 2008 to the modern low ($ 34.00) on December 18, 2008 just over five months later. The current mess really took off around Thanksgiving when OPEC met last fall and prices have fallen 50 percent in what, ten weeks?
Alfred Tennyson wrote:We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby DesuMaiden » Tue 06 Jan 2015, 20:29:05

Don't be surprised if crude oil hits $200 a barrel some day. Or perhaps even $500 a barrel a day.
History repeats itself. Just everytime with different characters and players.
DesuMaiden
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Shaved Monkey » Tue 06 Jan 2015, 20:45:15

It can only hit a price that an economy can afford to pay .
At $500 a barrel they are competing with horse and cart
Ready to turn Zombies into WWOOFers
Shaved Monkey
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby DesuMaiden » Tue 06 Jan 2015, 21:33:07

Shaved Monkey wrote:It can only hit a price that an economy can afford to pay .
At $500 a barrel they are competing with horse and cart

At $500 a barrel, we are probably better off just using horse and cart.
History repeats itself. Just everytime with different characters and players.
DesuMaiden
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Subjectivist » Tue 06 Jan 2015, 21:59:13

DesuMaiden wrote:Don't be surprised if crude oil hits $200 a barrel some day. Or perhaps even $500 a barrel a day.

Some day maybe, but we used to hear those same predictions here over and over and over but guess what? When nobody can pay the price goes down of the supply simply ceases to be produced. No oil company is going to go to the expense of producing oil they can not sell at a profit. Even in the USSR where the government was the company money went to the specific producers to pay for equipment and staff. If you are trying to sell oil for $200 and nobody buys you have a serious problem.

Price rations demand.
II Chronicles 7:14 if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.
Subjectivist
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby Pops » Tue 06 Jan 2015, 22:17:41

I'd toss out a WAG that sustained $200 oil is the price at maybe 75mbd production,
$500 would be lower, maybe 50mdd of production

Oil is pretty valuable stuff when it comes down to it (contrary to the current meme) I couldn't guess what the price would be below 50mb/d

The EIA says a buck increase in Brent crude (WTI price really doesn't matter) raises the gasoline price about 2.5¢ so say 50¢ for refining and distribution/marketing plus materials (crude) @ $200/bbl for oil; that would be around $5.50/gal ...
@ $500/bbl that's $13/gal

http://www.eia.gov/todayinenergy/detail.cfm?id=18651
The legitimate object of government, is to do for a community of people, whatever they need to have done, but can not do, at all, or can not, so well do, for themselves -- in their separate, and individual capacities.
-- Abraham Lincoln, Fragment on Government (July 1, 1854)
Pops
Elite
Elite

Previous

Return to Peak Oil Discussion