Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

US Supply Rocket Explodes Seconds After Liftoff!!!

A forum for discussion of regional topics including oil depletion but also government, society, and the future.

Re: US Supply Rocket Explodes Seconds After Liftoff!!!

Unread postby Sixstrings » Fri 07 Nov 2014, 00:04:38

Some bad news about SpaceX, for once, or one of their goofy millennial former employees anyhow:

Former SpaceX employee faces life in prison for running Silk Road 2.0

http://rt.com/usa/202935-silk-road-busted-benthall/

"SpaceX: not your grandfather's rocket company." "Oh noes, you really can't sell drugs on the internet and get away with it!" :lol:

In other news, SpaceX and Elon Musk may save Orbital Sciences by being the "subcontractor" that NASA says they need.

Might Elon Musk's SpaceX save the day for Orbital Sciences?

Orbital (NYSE: ORB) will need to go to direct competitors to launch its Cygnus cargo spacecraft. CEO David Thompson said the company is in discussions with three launch providers — two in the U.S. and one based in Europe. While Thompson wouldn't name the providers, the two primary U.S. launch companies are Space Exploration Technologies Corp., the other company with a contract to deliver cargo to the space station, which has its Falcon 9 rocket, and United Launch Alliance, which has its Atlas and Delta rocket family.
http://www.bizjournals.com/washington/blog/fedbiz_daily/2014/11/might-elon-musks-spacex-save-the-day-for-orbital.html

I'm guessing Orbital will subcontract to SpaceX because they are cheapest, if spacex has the capacity on their launch schedule.

Kind of ironic -- NASA had to pay spacex billions and their competitor billions, now spacex will have to do it all anyway so what was the point of paying double to start with. Orbital's craft can't even return cargo from space.
Last edited by Sixstrings on Fri 07 Nov 2014, 00:42:23, edited 2 times in total.
Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Sixstrings » Fri 07 Nov 2014, 00:26:25

pstarr wrote:Rocketdyne F-1 is big dog

Yup, now THAT'S an engine

Only trouble there is that there's nobody left that remembers how to make a Saturn V or the Rocketdyne F-1.

Those were good engines, Saturn V was a beauty, no debate from me on that.

I'd just say that actually the Merlins are better in that a cluster of engines allows the mission to continue if even multiple engines fail.

One big engine fails, it's all over, cluster of smaller engines means redundancy.

There's lots of ways to get to space. The early Japanese program had miniature rockets and tiny satellites:

Don't have to be big, necessarily, if it does the job..

Falcon Heavy will be the largest rocket since the Saturn V, though.

And I don't give a flip, just make the darn engines here and don't have it cost so much that congress cancels the mars mission because Boeing-Lockheed needs $150 billion to do it. Figure something else out, that's cheaper, and still works, and made in the USA.
Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Subjectivist » Fri 07 Nov 2014, 08:48:57

Sixstrings wrote:
Subjectivist wrote:All kidding aside we are never going to agree on the AJ26 unless you see the light and come around to my way of thinking 8O :-D

I'm lost Subj, what's your way of thinking, these companies should keep taking our tax dollars to employ Russians to make rocket engines for our air force and and nasa launches?

Meanwhile, for all we know, the Russian rocket engine employees' kids are at home on the computer hacking our credit cards like they did last Christmas.

Can we just get some pride around here, is it asking too much? To make our own rocket engines in this country?

There's one company out there that had the foresight to not use Russian engines, and made their own engines.

Why is it pulling teeth to get Boeing-Lockheed to make an engine. Who is ULA looking out for, its profit margins or our national security? The former, of course, and it's up to those in Congress to actually think about US national security -- and resist the money ULA's lobbyists will be dangling before their eyes.

I'm sorry for US business that the reset buttons and globalism ain't working out with Russia but that was all Putin's choice, sometimes changing circumstances get in the way of how you planned to do business, and ULA and Orbital Sciences needs to adjust to that as SpaceX did and stop fighting it.

Orbital's Russian engine blew up, for goodness sake, and they still won't give it up. (and don't get mad at me Russia posters, not saying Russian engines are bad, just that these 40 year old engines apparently have some nozzles loose and that's not anybody's fault nobody should go to the Goodwill for a rocket engine to start with)

Simple really. Instead of leaping to conclusions completely investigate what caused the accident. Then determine how expensive it would be to fix whatever the actual problem is. Then using logic determine the cost benefit analisys of fixing the problem compared to completely scrapping a stage that has had four successful flights before this one.

No making decisions due to emotional reasons. No making decisions based on political motivations. Use facts, logic and common sense to make decisions.
II Chronicles 7:14 if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.
Subjectivist
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby Sixstrings » Fri 07 Nov 2014, 21:47:34

Subjectivist wrote:Simple really. Instead of leaping to conclusions completely investigate what caused the accident. Then determine how expensive it would be to fix whatever the actual problem is. Then using logic determine the cost benefit analisys of fixing the problem compared to completely scrapping a stage that has had four successful flights before this one.

Fair enough, but, R&D is supposed to be ironed out before these contractors put the nasa payload on top.

SpaceX had a lot of failures too, until they got it right, and then they opened for business to launch customers' payloads.

We can't have nasa funding rocket crashes, they won't tolerate it Subj. A rocket isn't the space shuttle. We don't need to tolerate explosions and just keep throwing money at it to get it working, you just fire the contractor and use another rocket launch contractor instead.

Orbital is welcome to do whatever they want to do with the $2 billion nasa has promised them, BUT.. their CUSTOMER -- nasa -- is saying those launches cannot be on any more Orbital rockets, they've got to subcontract it.

There is zero tolerance for a rocket startup that has a blow up, and all these questions surrounding it, and they don't even know what went wrong -- you say screw it, I'm gonna hire another contractor that can do the job.

No making decisions due to emotional reasons. No making decisions based on political motivations. Use facts, logic and common sense to make decisions.

The issue about the Russian engines is just that there may be no access to them anymore, that's when "politics" affects the real world. It's reality Subj, you can't just call it "politics" and think you can always buy a Russian engine and you're not aware of what's actually going on with Russia / West relations.

Bottom line on it is that Orbital Sciences is not making their customer feel confident they can fix the problem.

NASA contracted out to get a job done, not to hold anyone's hand past a certain point and it was supposed to be ready for prime time.

You have to realize that one rocket explosion actually affects NASA -- the customer here -- credibility. If there is another explosion then that becomes NASA's fault. It's NASA administrators that get the call from capitol hill and have to answer for it, it's their prestige and important payloads on the line, and if they say they won't risk it on Orbital anymore then goodness why do you want them to.

They KNOW ULA can do this business. They gave the quirky startups a chance. As those startups fail, then that is it, you don't keep supporting them all, all will fail and few will remain that's how this was meant to go.

I almost wonder if this whole idea was creating a monster and a bunch of little companies griping to get a contract and everyone thinks there are no winners and losers and everyone can just get a billion dollars. I think I read Sierra Nevada wants to contest SpaceX and Orbital winning that round. So what's the point, taxpayers have to give Sierra Nevada a billion dollars too? To play with and blow up on a launchpad?

We don't need 5 different people reinventing a wheel, a rocket launch, not on the taxpayer dime anyway.

(I'm sorry it didn't work out Subj, but even I can smell a lemon a mile away and that Orbital Sciences is a lemon -- they make satellites, they need to stick to that, their launch program was a lemon though and nasa did the right -- if unnecessarily kind -- thing, to ditch them without yanking the whole contract.

So now, probably spacex rockets will launch Orbital's inferior spacecraft but whatever, everyone wins and orbital gets some taxpayer dollars for this craft we're not gonna keep using anyway.

If their cygnus blows up then no question about it, kick them to the curb, cancel that contract, it's over.

I'm just frustrated because I always had a hunch that they were a lemon and that was going to be just wasted money.)
Last edited by Sixstrings on Fri 07 Nov 2014, 22:19:32, edited 6 times in total.
Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Subjectivist » Fri 07 Nov 2014, 21:55:46

Orbital Sciences is effectively ending up a subsidiary of ATK so they are not really making these decisions any longer. The SEC could still quash the takeover, but that is not very likely.
II Chronicles 7:14 if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.
Subjectivist
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby Subjectivist » Fri 14 Nov 2014, 18:22:06

dissident wrote:The Six$ drone just had to post something about the N1. You see, in his little mind if you have a deficient design in anything, then you have deficient designs in everything.

In the real world, which is infinitely larger and more complex than the binary random stream generator in the head of Six$, you have the Atlas V using RD-180 engines. Has it been blowing up all the time?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlas_V

Not a single failure pertaining to the RD-180 engines.

Naturally we have hate and vitriol aimed at Russia and none at Ukraine. Things have been slipping in Ukraine for a long time and the most likely failure point is the Ukrainian first stage. The N1 rocket engines are what they are. I am quite sure that they have been subjected to testing with X-rays and ultrasound for fractures and other defects. There are quite a few potential failure points in the first stage.

http://en.ria.ru/science/20130226/17970 ... ilure.html

WASHINGTON — The U.S. Defense Department “strongly disagrees” with congressional proposals to initiate a large, government-run program to replace a controversial Russian-made rocket engine that currently is used to launch national security missions, according to Pentagon correspondence obtained by SpaceNews.

While Defense Department leaders have stressed the need to wean the agency from dependence on the Russian-made RD-180 engine used on United Launch Alliance’s Atlas 5 rocket, the new correspondence, which appeals provisions in pending defense legislation, clearly favors alternatives to a major government-funded development effort.

“The Department firmly believes that it should not allocate resources to develop yet another engine that would fail to be integrated into a viable launcher, especially when it can meet the assured access to space requirement with existing privately funded vehicle families,” the Pentagon’s legislative affairs office said in a 30-page packet of conference appeals. “It is nearly impossible to develop a stand-alone rocket engine that can meet the needs of more than a single launch vehicle, or without extensive changes to even that single vehicle.”

Earlier this year, the House drafted defense appropriations and authorization bills that recommended spending $220 million in fiscal year 2015 to develop a new liquid-fueled rocket engine that would debut in 2022. The defense appropriations and authorization bills drafted in the Senate propose spending $25 million and $100 million, respectively, on the effort next year.

Differences between the House and Senate versions of the bills are worked out in conferences of senior lawmakers before the measures are sent to the White House to be signed into law.

The push for a new U.S. rocket engine has been fueled in large part by concerns about the future availability of the RD-180 as U.S. tensions with Russia escalate over the crisis in Ukraine. The Atlas 5 is used, along with ULA’s Delta 4 rocket, to launch the lion’s share of U.S. national security, weather and scientific satellites.

But despite congressional interest, congressional and industry sources say the engine development program is likely to receive less than $100 million in the final 2015 appropriations bill. A more realistic number, these sources say, is something close to the $40 million suggested by the White House in June.
more at the link,
http://www.spacenews.com/article/launch ... nt-program
Subjectivist
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby Keith_McClary » Fri 14 Nov 2014, 18:56:02

pstarr wrote:How many miles of bullet-train track could be installed for $250 million?

Facebook knows you're a dog.
Keith_McClary
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Subjectivist » Mon 24 Nov 2014, 18:05:46

A detailed review of the antares telemetry moment by moment shows that oxygen flow to one engine was cut off, then to the second engine. Most likely cause if this data holds up is an LOX pipe failure in the Ukrain built first stage tank, not in the engine itself of the engine turbo pump.
Subjectivist
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby dissident » Mon 24 Nov 2014, 19:26:21

Subjectivist wrote:A detailed review of the antares telemetry moment by moment shows that oxygen flow to one engine was cut off, then to the second engine. Most likely cause if this data holds up is an LOX pipe failure in the Ukrain built first stage tank, not in the engine itself of the engine turbo pump.

As I said, wait for the investigation to complete. The engine has been tested for faults and has a low risk of failure. The stage itself has many more failure points and the risk is much higher. The outcome of the investigation is confirming this.

Where are you Six$ you blowhard liar. Come out and admit you are full of sh*t.
dissident
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Sixstrings » Mon 24 Nov 2014, 19:32:30

dissident wrote:
Subjectivist wrote:A detailed review of the antares telemetry moment by moment shows that oxygen flow to one engine was cut off, then to the second engine. Most likely cause if this data holds up is an LOX pipe failure in the Ukrain built first stage tank, not in the engine itself of the engine turbo pump.

As I said, wait for the investigation to complete. The engine has been tested for faults and has a low risk of failure. The stage itself has many more failure points and the risk is much higher. The outcome of the investigation is confirming this.

Where are you Six$ you blowhard liar. Come out and admit you are full of sh*t.

So it really is Ukraine's fault, not Russia?

Ok fine you guys got one there.

I was never saying "russian engines suck" or anything like that to start with, relax, it's still nuts to use a 40 year old engine even if it was the ukrainian stage's fault.

No more Russian engines, no more ukrainian stages. Russia can try to build that kind of business with somebody else, it ain't gonna be the USA anymore, US is going to make its own stuff now.
Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Sixstrings » Mon 24 Nov 2014, 20:01:40

Dissident -- look -- nobody is saying Russia makes bad space stuff. That's ludicrous, Russia is #2 in space always has been, sometimes #1.

The soyuz is good.. all that stuff is good solid stuff and works.. I will just say that the Proton had a massive explosion off the pad months ago, nobody paid attention to that, then one tiny little cargo rocket in the US blows up and it's somehow huge news.

Having said that, despite blowing up, the Proton is a good rocket. The best that has ever been achieved with ANY launch system is like 98% success. Nobody has ever done better. As long as its within that range, then there's not an out-of-ordinary problem.

So that means for every 100 launches, 2 are going to blow up, no matter how good the system is.

So I get upset about this Orbital Sciences because I had a sense *the whole time* this thing was sketchy and not ready for prime time.

I never thought it would work out. I honestly didn't, and I just hate being right like that, because it makes me wonder why the people spending all the money and in charge can't see what's so obvious.

Orbital Sci is more of a satellite company. They've tried some rocket stuff before, but they never got far with it, for so many years now we're talking back into the 90s.

Then look at Musk.. in just 10 years he teaches himself the rocket business and takes over the industry, with a superior engine and stage.

So how did that happen? Orbital's a sizable company, with a track record, wtf have they been doing for the last 25 years?

And so, they go the cheap route, the outsourcing route, and they bought these old engines out of a warehouse in Russia. And put it on a Ukrainian stage. And whoever's fault it is, it blew up.

If I recall, Congress has already passed a law that no more rocket engines can be bought from Russia, or China for that matter -- I'd be even more pissed off if there was a Chinese engine on US rockets.

These rockets are a national symbol. You just can't have Russian engines on them, you can't.

But, we were doing it, it was globalism. Reset buttons. Russia was a "friend." But then all this stuff started, and everything Putin's done, and suddenly folks on congressional committes realize "wtf how are we dependent on Russian engines, how did this happen." It's not that the engines are bad, they're not they're very good (if new, not 40 years old) -- the issue is national security, if Russia and China are adversaries then you can't be dependent on them for something crucial like a rocket engine.

That makes your dependence a weapon for the other side to use. The other side can just stop the supply, or threaten to, and cause chaos and disruption.
Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Subjectivist » Tue 09 Dec 2014, 20:30:52

New press release from Orbital Sciences about the future of the launch site and the Antares launcher.
(Dulles, VA 9 December 2014) – Orbital Sciences Corporation (NYSE: ORB), one of the world’s leading space technology companies, today announced new details in its plans to resume cargo flights to the International Space Station (ISS) and to accelerate the introduction of an upgraded Antares launch vehicle. In formulating its go-forward plans, the company’s primary objective is to fulfill its commitment to NASA for ISS cargo deliveries with high levels of safety and reliability and minimum disruption to schedules. As previously announced, these plans are expected to allow Orbital to accomplish all remaining cargo deliveries under its current Commercial Resupply Services (CRS) contract with NASA by the end of 2016 and with no cost increase to the space agency.

The company’s go-forward plans for the CRS program and Antares launch vehicle include these major elements:

• Atlas V Launch: Orbital has contracted with United Launch Alliance for an Atlas V launch of a Cygnus cargo spacecraft from Cape Canaveral, Florida, in the fourth quarter of 2015, with an option for a second Atlas V launch in 2016 if needed. The Atlas rocket’s greater lift capacity will allow Cygnus to carry nearly 35% more cargo to the ISS than previously planned for CRS missions in 2015.
• Antares Propulsion Upgrade: The company has confirmed its ability to accelerate the introduction of a new main propulsion system for the Antares rocket and has scheduled three additional CRS launches in the first, second and fourth quarters of 2016 using the upgraded vehicle. The greater payload performance of the upgraded Antares will permit Cygnus spacecraft on each of these missions to deliver over 20% more cargo than in prior plans. With necessary supplier contracts now in place, the first new propulsion systems are expected to arrive at the Antares final assembly facility at Wallops Island, Virginia in mid-2015 to begin vehicle integration and testing.
• Wallops Launch Site Repairs: The Mid-Atlantic Regional Spaceport (MARS) has assessed the clean-up, repair and reconstruction work necessary to return the Wallops launch complex to operational status. Current plans call for repairs to be substantially completed by the fall of 2015, with recertification taking place before year end.
The flexibility of Orbital’s Cygnus cargo spacecraft to accommodate heavier cargo loads, together with the greater lift capacity of the Atlas V and upgraded Antares vehicles, will allow the company to complete all currently contracted ISS deliveries in four missions instead of the five previously planned flights over the next two years. In addition, the company’s revised approach is not expected to create any material adverse financial impacts in 2015 or future years as Orbital carries out the CRS cargo delivery and Antares propulsion upgrade programs.
http://www.orbital.com/NewsInfo/release.asp?prid=1928
Subjectivist
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby jedrider » Tue 09 Dec 2014, 23:51:45

SpaceX has competition now:

http://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2014/12/09/Club-launches-rocket-powered-porta-potty/1151418141068/?r=8951394637575

LatrineX (you can skip the first minute, though, as rocket launches at 1:10)
jedrider
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Keith_McClary » Wed 10 Dec 2014, 00:20:45

pstarr wrote:What is the point of all this? We are not really going to make ball-bearings in space. Or live on the moon. Or mine asteroids. It's all about selfies and satellites. Selfies and satellites.

Facebook knows you're a dog.
Keith_McClary
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Subjectivist » Sat 13 Dec 2014, 19:07:06

The ban on Russian rocket engines is part of a massive bill, known as the National Defense Authorization Act, that authorizes $580 billion in Pentagon spending over the next year. Among its scores of provisions are cuts to military health benefits, continued funding of the Air Force's A-10 Warthog aircraft — marked for retirement — and the authorization of a stepped-up campaign against Islamic State militants.

The measure has already passed the House and is now headed for the expected signature of President Obama.

The defense bill was one of the few in which congressional members of both parties came together.

And they made it clear in the bill's language that they wanted the Air Force to stop relying on space technology built by Russia — a country that became a renewed military threat with its annexation of Crimea and its support of separatists in the Ukraine.

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-r ... story.html
Subjectivist
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby dissident » Sat 13 Dec 2014, 20:29:41

Big bad Congress, full of qualified professionals, is huffing and puffing. Let them. These retards think that such devices can be produced in few months with a "bit of gumption and good old American knowhow".
dissident
Expert
Expert

PreviousNext

Return to North America Discussion