Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

The Daylight Savings Time scam

A forum to either submit your own review of a book, video or audio interview, or to post reviews by others.

Re: The Daylight Savings Time scam

Unread postby TheDude » Mon 12 Mar 2007, 20:15:08

Golf courses, convenience stores, and other businesses benefit from extra afternoon sunlight. For example, in the mid-1980s Clorox (parent of Kingsford Charcoal) and 7-Eleven provided the primary funding for the Daylight Saving Time Coalition that successfully lobbied to extend U.S. DST, and both Idaho senators voted to extend DST on the basis of fast-food restaurants selling more French fries made from Idaho potatoes.[11]

OK, we got golf, Corox, candy, potatoes. Sounds like a yummy picnic!

A fellow from my hometown has always refused to pay any attention to this hoo-ha. Thinks it's some kind of commy conspiracy. I like this new term "DST." Sounds like a pesticide, or a learning disability.
Cogito, ergo non satis bibivi
And let me tell you something: I dig your work.
TheDude
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Subjectivist » Sun 02 Nov 2014, 22:28:56

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2014/11 ... e-trouble/
Another study, conducted by Yale economics professor Matthew Kotchen, looked at residential power usage in the state of Indiana, which adopted daylight savings time across the board in 2006.

Kotchen compared the 15 Indiana counties that had observed daylight savings time before 2006 with the rest of the state’s counties that were new to the practice.

His findings: Daylight savings time actually led to an increase in energy use.

“The world has changed [since World War I, when daylight savings time was first adopted],” Kotchen said.

No longer is light the main use of electrical power.

“Lighting is a small amount of energy and electricity use in households,” Kotchen said. “The big things are heating and cooling, particularly as air conditioning has become more prevalent. We’re fooling ourselves to continue calling [daylight savings time] an energy policy given the studies that show it doesn’t save energy.”

Moving clocks backwards and forwards may or may not save electricity, but at least in the fall an “extra” hour gives most of the U.S. a chance to catch up on work, take an extra hour of sleep or, like public officials have been advising for decades, change the batteries in your smoke alarms.

I loath DST and wish they would just leave the clock alone. Any power saved on one end of the daylight period is just moved to the other end, changing the clocks twice a year is stupid. It is like cutting an inch off an eight inch string to glue it on the other end.
II Chronicles 7:14 if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.
Subjectivist
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby yellowcanoe » Sun 02 Nov 2014, 22:54:01

Standard time should be renamed Daylight Wasting Time. The switch to standard time means that it is getting dark at around 5pm. Yes, we now have an extra hour of daylight in the morning but I'd much rather have that daylight time in the evening. My preference would be to stay on DST all year round.
"new housing construction" is spelled h-a-b-i-t-a-t d-e-s-t-r-u-c-t-i-o-n.
yellowcanoe
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Shaved Monkey » Mon 03 Nov 2014, 03:56:17

Im all for everywhere else having it but here.
My sat tv now has 5 time zones so I can shift forward and backwards in time.
I missed the last 5 minutes of Dr Who while watching it out of Victoria an Hour ahead of Qld and was able to re-watch it in SA half an hour later.

Rest of its pretty lame here the sun gets up at 5ish in Summer I dont need it waking me up at 4 in the morning and fading my carpets. :mrgreen:
Ready to turn Zombies into WWOOFers
Shaved Monkey
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Quinny » Mon 03 Nov 2014, 05:40:31

Agree with SM another solution is to move onto Rooster/Cockerel time :) Oh and don't wear a watch!
Live, Love, Learn, Leave Legacy.....oh and have a Laugh while you're doing it!
Quinny
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Sixstrings » Mon 03 Nov 2014, 05:54:06

I read something about Putin just changed all the time zones in Russia. They had more times zones, then fewer, now more again.

And they're going to have "winter" time all year long now, and before that they were on permanent "summer time."

Permanent winter: Russia turns back clocks for last time
http://rt.com/news/199464-winter-time-russia-clocks/
Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Tanada » Mon 03 Nov 2014, 07:09:32

I can't speak for anyone else but I know the twice a year shift of an hour on the clock messes with my biorhythms. I end up with three weeks of bad sleep every time we switch the clocks until the sunrise/sunset is closer to what it was before the change. Around here where I grew up and live the day length changes about 2 minutes on the clock pretty much all year. When we move the clock 60 minutes it takes about 21 days for me to adjust and during that time the sunrise/sunset moves 22 minutes just from the Earth changing its position around the sun.
Alfred Tennyson wrote:We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Quinny » Mon 03 Nov 2014, 07:26:27

6 you are just so funny! LMAO.
Live, Love, Learn, Leave Legacy.....oh and have a Laugh while you're doing it!
Quinny
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Subjectivist » Wed 05 Nov 2014, 22:29:51

RATS!

Just discovered I forgot to reset my board preferences to Standard Time Sunday so my board clock was an hour off schedule.
II Chronicles 7:14 if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.
Subjectivist
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby Shaved Monkey » Thu 06 Nov 2014, 03:32:17

I woke up at 4.30 this morning and the sun was up without daylight savings.
Ready to turn Zombies into WWOOFers
Shaved Monkey
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Subjectivist » Sat 08 Nov 2014, 11:20:14

So I was playing with the solar calendar for where I live,
http://www.timeanddate.com/sun/usa/toledo

And something occurred to me. Here where I am the length of daylight varies from just over 15 hours in June to just over 9 hours in December, a variation of 6 hours. What is it like where you live?

Quito, Peru right on the equator more or less goes from 12 hours 6 min 32 seconds min to 12 hours 8 min 18 seconds max over the same six months.

Close to the other extreme Edinburg, Scotland goes from 17 hours 36 min 29 seconds in June to just 6 hours 57 min 35 seconds, a variation of over ten and a half hours.
Subjectivist
Volunteer
Volunteer

Previous

Return to Book/Media Reviews