Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Fuel Economy Continues Upward Climb to New Record

How to save energy through both societal and individual actions.

Unread postby Graeme » Fri 10 Oct 2014, 16:52:18

The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency has crunched the numbers and the fleet of cars and light trucks sold with model year 2013 hit a new record of 24.1 miles per gallon (mpg). The latest Fuel Economy Trends report finds that automakers are producing more fuel-saving vehicles to keep up with clean car and fuel economy standards.

This is good news for the environment. By burning less fuel, the more efficient new car fleet also avoids emissions of millions of tons of carbon pollution each year.

Consumers benefit too. Just five years earlier, in 2008, passenger cars averaged 21 mpg. Assuming gas prices of $3.50 per gallon, a 3-mpg jump to 24 mpg will save a typical driver over $300 in the first year of driving.

It’s no surprise that consumers want better fuel economy. According to a recent survey by the National Automobile Dealers Association, fuel economy is the number 1 factor considered by shoppers during a new car and light truck purchase. The Consumer Federation of America expects this to be an on-going trend where car buyers seek higher fuel efficiency with each new purchase.

theenergycollective
Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe. H. G. Wells.
Fatih Birol's motto: leave oil before it leaves us.
Graeme
Fusion
Fusion

Re: Fuel Economy Continues Upward Climb to New Record

Unread postby dolanbaker » Sat 11 Oct 2014, 06:59:22

Those figures are still appalling when compared to other countries!
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by rulers as useful.:Anonymous
Our whole economy is based on planned obsolescence.
Hungrymoggy "I am now predicting that Europe will NUKE ITSELF sometime in the first week of January"
dolanbaker
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby ROCKMAN » Sat 11 Oct 2014, 08:42:37

And let's not forget this is just the average of new vehicles...not the current fleet on the road. Given the roughly 10 year cycle of vehicle replacement. The typical change in total fleet mpg over the last 10 years has been about 0.1 to 0.2 mpg/year. Going the right direction but very slowly. It has always been more affordable to keep the old vehicle and pay more for fuel then buying a new one. Thus only upgraded when the old one wore out.
ROCKMAN
Expert
Expert

Unread postby marmico » Fri 17 Oct 2014, 08:30:46

Has motorization in the U.S. peaked? Yep, in about 2004.

http://deepblue.lib.umich.edu/bitstream ... sequence=1
marmico
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby yellowcanoe » Fri 17 Oct 2014, 09:18:15

ROCKMAN wrote:And let's not forget this is just the average of new vehicles...not the current fleet on the road. Given the roughly 10 year cycle of vehicle replacement. The typical change in total fleet mpg over the last 10 years has been about 0.1 to 0.2 mpg/year. Going the right direction but very slowly. It has always been more affordable to keep the old vehicle and pay more for fuel then buying a new one. Thus only upgraded when the old one wore out.

Well it doesn't help that people are still fixated on buying SUV, minivan and pickup truck type vehicles. While manufacturers are making progress in improving the fuel efficiency of these heavy vehicles, there is no way around the fact that it takes a lot of energy to move a big, heavy vehicle. Improving the fuel efficiency of larger vehicles comes at a high cost -- for example the extensive use of aluminum in the new Ford F-150 truck would require a lot more energy than what would have been required to produce the steel for the previous version of the truck.
"new housing construction" is spelled h-a-b-i-t-a-t d-e-s-t-r-u-c-t-i-o-n.
yellowcanoe
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Henriksson » Fri 17 Oct 2014, 12:15:03

It should be mentioned that ~20% of energy spent on a car goes towards the building phase. Older cars have the eminent advantage that they already exist, and don't need that energy investment.
Henriksson
Peat
Peat

Unread postby ROCKMAN » Fri 17 Oct 2014, 13:59:25

Yellow - I'm sure you know with fuel under $3/gallon in Texas p/u truck sales (which weren't doing too bad before) will jump. And I'm one of those butt holes buying a new minivan. LOL. But at least I have a decent excuse: it's a handicap conversion I can roll my new power chair into. But the good news is that the power chair is electric and I can brag that I recharge it with some of our big RENEWABLE energy supply from wind turbines. LOL.

And to be honest I saw a four door crew cab p/u handicap conversion I salivated over. LOL. And it was 4wd too. I don't need a p/u but so what: many Texans with p/u's don't really need them. LOL. But in addition to doing my part to limit GHG emissions I'm cheap and didn't want to go an extra $20k. But has it been the same price as the minivan... hmm? I can handle higher fuel prices. And the handicap conversion was very cool. LOL.

But that's really the point: many folks that can buy a larger (and more expensive) vehicle can afford to pay higher fuel prices. And folks with old less fuel efficient vehicles can afford higher fuel prices better then buying even a relatively small and cheap car with much better mpg. Which leads to the inevitable fact that no matter how quickly they improve mpg on new vehicles the rolling fleet average changes very slowly. Last time I saw the stat it took several years to improve the fleet average by just 1 mpg.

And with cheaper fuel those less affluent folks with old poor mpg vehicles can afford to drive more and the affluent can afford larger vehicles. I really liked that p/u. LOL
ROCKMAN
Expert
Expert

Return to Conservation & Efficiency