Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Enterovirus D68 spreading, polio-like limb paralysis

Discussions related to the physiological and psychological effects of peak oil on our members and future generations.

Enterovirus D68 spreading, polio-like limb paralysis

Unread postby Sixstrings » Tue 30 Sep 2014, 09:32:04

443 cases so far, per CNN maybe one death now. Seems to be spreading around the country, started out West but is now in 45 states, I noticed a report saying New Hampsire has its first case.

CDC Evaluating Limb Paralysis Associated With Enterovirus D68 Outbreak

The CDC is currently evaluating whether limb weakness, and in some cases paralysis, may be associated with the recent enterovirus D68 outbreak sweeping across the U.S.

According to data released by the CDC, nine children in Colorado who developed a respiratory virus subsequently developed limb weakness, and in some cases, varying degrees of paralysis.

According to recent reports out of Denver, six of the eight children tested positive for enteroviruses or rhinoviruses (cold viruses), with four of the six testing positive for enterovirus D68. The two remaining cases are still awaiting final test results.

At this time, the CDC is investigating whether the enterovirus D68 was the actual cause of the neurologic symptoms. Recent reports have indicated infection within spinal fluid samples, but no evidence of any specific virus within the fluid itself. Tests to evaluate for polio or west nile virus have also been negative thus far.
http://www.forbes.com/sites/robertglatter/2014/09/27/cdc-evaluating-limb-paralysis-associated-with-enterovirus-d68-outbreak/

Hm maybe not too concerning, if only 9 out of 277 have gotten paralyzed muscles. Anyone have an opinion on this thing though, is it a problem, could it mutate and all that?

We don’t know if this is a permanent muscle weakness syndrome or if this is something that is simply a temporary thing that will go away,” says Dallen Ormond a Nurse Practitioner with Families First Pediatrics.

There have been 277 cases of Enterovirus D68 reported to the CDC with 9 cases of limb weakness and paralysis in the 45 states Enterovirus has been found.
http://www.good4utah.com/story/d/story/cdc-looking-into-possible-links-between-enteroviru/21172/F7qT3aHmx0CL1EXaEK9ckA
Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Re: Enterovirus D68 spreading, polio-like limb paralysis

Unread postby steam_cannon » Wed 01 Oct 2014, 11:27:46

I was reading about this as well. It's concerning, like polio.

I'm also wondering about the mechanism of action and if there is a spectrum of symptoms. If some versions of the virus could be more severe. Quote: "only 9 out of 277 have gotten paralyzed muscles", a lot of problems from disease happen in a spectrum, so at one end 9 children are paralyzed, but the million dollar question to me, is there a spectrum of symptoms for the rest. Do the other children, never run as fast or have nerve issues later in life?

Also the articles I've read have said that the viral infection doesn't cause paralysis in adults, however I wouldn't be surprised if it still caused nerve issues. If not, why not? Anyway, those are the things I'm left wondering...
"The multiplication force of technology on cognitive differences is massive." -Jordan Peterson
steam_cannon
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Sixstrings » Thu 02 Oct 2014, 20:17:26

steam_cannon wrote:Also the articles I've read have said that the viral infection doesn't cause paralysis in adults, however I wouldn't be surprised if it still caused nerve issues. If not, why not? Anyway, those are the things I'm left wondering...

Informative response, steam.

Nobody seems too interested in this one. I'm guessing it's isolated and not "something to worry about." To your knowledge, how common are these viruses? I think I read somewhere that enterovirus is very common with millions getting it every year (what is it, basically a flue virus?).

What I wonder is how common is muscle paralysis and nerve damage, is that peculiar to this strain of enterovirus?
Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Sixstrings » Fri 03 Oct 2014, 16:14:23

Now two adults are dead from Enterovirus D68:

At least two Colorado adults have died from complications from what may be enterovirus-68, the same strain that has afflicted hundreds, mostly children, across the country.

Dr. Phil Emrie, a critical care pulmonologist at Lutheran Medical Center in Wheat Ridge, says he treated adult patients who suffered from conditions similar to the virus.

“We don’t know for sure that it’s the enterovirus-68, but we do know that it’s consistent with the illness that they’re seeing in children,” Emrie said.

Sheeler, 48, has spent five days in intensive care at Lutheran, undergoing treatments that open her lungs to allow her to breathe. Enterovirus’ symptoms are similar to severe flu.

She has improved significantly since last Friday, when she checked into the hospital’s emergency room.
“It felt like death,” she said. “I thought I was going to die.”
http://denver.cbslocal.com/2014/10/02/2-colorado-adults-die-from-respiratory-illness-similar-to-enterovirus-68/
Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Return to Medical Issues Forum