Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

THE Global Dimming Thread (merged)

Re: An Idea On How to Mitigate Global Warming

Unread postby mos6507 » Wed 27 Apr 2011, 09:53:37

"I live in Australia and spend lots of time in Europe, neither here nor there is any warming. "

Why don't you visit the alps and ask them about the retreat of the snowcaps.

Here is an article from half a decade ago. You are grossly ignorant. That's an observation, not an ad hom.
mos6507

Unread postby vision-master » Wed 27 Apr 2011, 10:02:31

An Idea On How to Mitigate Global Warming

Move here - it's 38 F right now an it's almost MAY! :x
vision-master

Unread postby dohboi » Fri 29 Apr 2011, 15:36:49

Completely normal for MN.
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Re: THE Contrails &

Unread postby Tanada » Thu 29 Nov 2012, 09:44:26

Best solution, require short distance flights to remain below 25,000 feet and require long distance flights to fly at or above 40,000 feet. Contrails almost disappear, no more contrail pollution or global dimming caused.
Alfred Tennyson wrote:We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: THE Global Dimming Thread (merged)

Unread postby Econ101 » Sun 27 Jan 2013, 12:49:50

Do they see signs of the old forest when the glaciers retreat or is that all in the debris the glacier pushed forward?
Econ101
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby Tanada » Sun 27 Jan 2013, 14:46:29

Econ101 wrote:Do they see signs of the old forest when the glaciers retreat or is that all in the debris the glacier pushed forward?

It all depends on how quickly the glacier encroached on the forested area and how long the glacier has been on it. It takes decades of grinding forward over an area to strip away the preceding era soil layers, it literally moves at a glacial pace ;)

There are a few sites where a recently advanced glacier has gone into retreat revealing wooden debris from prior forested slopes, but it does not happen very often.
Alfred Tennyson wrote:We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Keith_McClary » Sun 27 Jan 2013, 15:29:25

Econ101 wrote:Do they see signs of the old forest when the glaciers retreat or is that all in the debris the glacier pushed forward?
Glaciers are flowing forward even when they are retreating. Land under the flowing part often gets scoured down many metres into the bedrock. "Old forest" remains would be a very tiny fraction of of glacial deposits found hundreds of km away.

I live in a glaciated valley that has filled with deposits about 100m deep.
Facebook knows you're a dog.
Keith_McClary
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Kylon » Wed 03 Sep 2014, 21:31:20

I've been reading some of Guy Mcpherson's work about how we will be extinct by 2030, due to global warming.

I thought that this solution to global warming that I thought of my still have some merit, even if it needs to be tweaked.

In hindsight I see there are two benefits from permanent ionization of the atmosphere,

1) increased global dimming due to increased cloud particulation, which in turn reflects light into space, thereby decreasing planet temperatures,
and
2) The elimination of a great deal of cloud vapor. The unwanted side effect would be drought, the benefit however, would be less water vapor means less global warming, as 75% of global warming from greenhouse gases is due to the increased water vapor in the atmosphere, which in turn acts as a greenhouse gas.

This wouldn't be the most ideal world to live in. A darkened world with increased drought and lots of lightning. But, it would be better than dying from drought due to global warming, or dying from overheating. Or dying from hydrogen sulfide gas being released by hydrogen sulfide gas producing bacteria in the ocean.

This is better than going extinct I think.

Anyway, what does everybody think?
Kylon
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Lore » Wed 03 Sep 2014, 21:46:55

I think we should just subsidies the hell out of wind and solar, right down to individual installations. Set a goal to eliminate half the motor vehicle transportation. Consolidate the human population into new efficient mega cities. Change the world's diet and last, but not least, go Chinese with " one" child families.
The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life.
... Theodore Roosevelt
Lore
Fission
Fission

Unread postby Kylon » Wed 03 Sep 2014, 22:01:21

I'm not saying we shouldn't, but as far as I know, the methane hydrate problem, the runaway global warming problem has gotten started, and that could potentially lead us to extinction.

At this point, even though overpopulation is a huge problem, that most other problems stem from, the global warming/climate change problem is really the number one threat to both humanity and to the rest of life on this planet.

This particular solution, the one I'm proposing isn't ideal. It's a last ditch effort to save ourselves from going completely extinct, and taking most complex life with us. The good part about this solution though, is that with the positive ions stored in containers, some day, if humanity ever got the greenhouse gas levels down, then the climate could go back to normal, as all they'd need to do is release the positive ions(slowly to prevent mass explosions).

Of course it would take the biosphere much longer to recover and adjust to higher precipitation and humidity levels.
Kylon
Expert
Expert

China smog in California

Unread postby onlooker » Thu 02 Apr 2015, 13:17:07

just showing it is a small world after all , what with Fukushima radiations supposedly affecting California now we have smog from China also. Maybe we will see soon One World government as somebodies problem is now everyone's problem. Here is link
http://news.yahoo.com/california-gettin ... 55042.html
"We are mortal beings doomed to die
onlooker
Fission
Fission

Re: China smog in California

Unread postby KaiserJeep » Thu 02 Apr 2015, 14:07:39

Yes, this is happening today. It was also happening 8 years ago when I was still commuting to work. There are seven Western states that often fail to meet Federal EPA air quality standards, and pollution blowing over the Pacific amounts to a significant portion of the problem.

As for one world government - no, not ever.
KaiserJeep 2.0, Neural Subnode 0010 0000 0001 0110 - 1001 0011 0011, Tertiary Adjunct to Unimatrix 0000 0000 0001

Resistance is Futile, YOU will be Assimilated.

Warning: Messages timestamped before April 1, 2016, 06:00 PST were posted by the unmodified human KaiserJeep 1.0
KaiserJeep
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby ROCKMAN » Thu 02 Apr 2015, 14:21:18

And this is the same issue that has led Texas to building the largest GHG sequestration project on the planet. The feds have been threatening to force Texas to shut down some of its coal-fired power plants since the pollution is drifting east over La. It's based on that concept of interstate pollution that the feds were claiming the authority to control coal consumption in Texas. This would have led to the Mother of All State's Right battles in the courts IMHO. I suspect the feds are happy that Texas is trying to prevent that future battle: it would be an very ugly affair regardless of who came out on top.
ROCKMAN
Expert
Expert

Unread postby onlooker » Thu 02 Apr 2015, 14:32:01

haha, they might threaten secession from the US like they once did.
"We are mortal beings doomed to die
onlooker
Fission
Fission

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Thu 02 Apr 2015, 15:25:54

ROCKMAN wrote:And this is the same issue that has led Texas to building the largest GHG sequestration project on the planet. The feds have been threatening to force Texas to shut down some of its coal-fired power plants since the pollution is drifting east over La

Since winds are generally prevailing westerly (coming from the west) in the U.S., how, pray tell, does a significant percentage of Texas pollution drift over L.A.?

When I try to Google this, I get that multiple hits that L.A. is the most polluted city in the U.S. (no surprise there), but no obvious links blaming Texas.

Is this the same kind of argument you make in your incessant AGW denial, by chance? Do you have meaningful attributions/links, or is this just your personal opinion?

Edit: I initially forgot to add the following links:

Prevailing wind map links:

http://hint.fm/wind/

http://maps.howstuffworks.com/world-pre ... ds-map.htm
Given the track record of the perma-doomer blogs, I wouldn't bet a fast crash doomer's money on their predictions.
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

Unread postby ritter » Thu 02 Apr 2015, 15:55:43

Outcast_Searcher wrote:Since winds are generally prevailing westerly (coming from the west) in the U.S., how, pray tell, does a significant percentage of Texas pollution drift over L.A.?

I think in this case, LA = Louisiana. :-D
ritter
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby efarmer » Thu 02 Apr 2015, 15:57:35

La (between So and Ti musically, is also Lousiana, whereas L.A. is "la la land" in California.
efarmer
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby GHung » Thu 02 Apr 2015, 17:27:58

LA => Lower Alabama (Mississippi doesn't count for much). As for the "states rights" thing, there's already precedent; multiple states sued TVA for emissions violations. They won. Some of that money is going to farm programs ( sulphur emissions acidifying soil and water; stuff like that). They didn't sue Tennessee, but it's the same principle.

BTW: I just got approved for my high tunnel (greenhouse) grant from this pool of money; keeps the Rockman's acid rain off of my garden :razz:

I wonder if the parts were made in China. What goes around comes around, eh?
Blessed are the Meek, for they shall inherit nothing but their Souls. - Anonymous Ghung Person
GHung
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby ROCKMAN » Thu 02 Apr 2015, 17:57:09

Outcast - "Is this the same kind of argument you make in your incessant AGW denial". Are you off you f*cking meds again? LOL. Or have you ever read a single word in any of my dozens of posts where I readily acknowledge AGW? Son, it might be time for you to seek some professional help.

Maybe it's your f*cked up neural pathways that make you see dots between the "L" and the "a". Either that or as the great Texas comedian Ron White has said: "You can't fix stupid." LOL.
ROCKMAN
Expert
Expert

PreviousNext

Return to Environment, Weather & Climate