Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

THE 10 Basic Facts of Peak Oil

General discussions of the systemic, societal and civilisational effects of depletion.

Re: 10 Basic Facts of Peak Oil

Unread postby dashster » Sun 28 Jul 2013, 23:42:26

AdTheNad wrote:Once oil has peaked, if population continues to rise the amount of oil per person reduces.

Or if population rises faster than oil production increases, oil-production-per-capita can peak. And it is supposed to have done that way back in 1979.
dashster
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby Anvil » Wed 09 Oct 2013, 06:38:58

1. Declining oil production will kill many billions of humans as well as the parasitic system it has created.
We will all probably die.
2. Declining oil production is happening right now making peak oil a cheap side show, detracting value of the real issues we all seem to be unable to accept.

Let us all now collectively stick our heads in the sand and pray to the oil gods, that these facts had never made the light of day.
Anvil
Peat
Peat

Unread postby ROCKMAN » Wed 09 Oct 2013, 07:56:08

Anvil – “We will all probably die.” Probably? I’ll bet you lunch that it’s a certainty.

“…pray to the oil gods”: Your sins are forgiven (except for buying that electric car)…go in peace, my child. LOL.

I’m pretty sure that many folks see the “light of day” regardless of where they have their heads stuck. In general I don’t think a lack of knowledge is as much of a problem as is the drive by self-interest.
ROCKMAN
Expert
Expert

Unread postby SeaGypsy » Wed 09 Oct 2013, 07:58:59

No we just need to listen to whoever Rune is listening to! (Or drink a bucket of Koolaid)
SeaGypsy
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Unread postby JV153 » Sat 23 Nov 2013, 05:41:08

kublikhan wrote:Pops, sorry to hijack your thread. Feel free to split this discussion into a separate thread.

Expatriot wrote:Point is, while the HD may have an extremely low FF input, it, like all other electrical production, has a FF input.

Windfarms and PV stations are so FF dependent so as to be laughable "nonFF" sources of electricity.

I hear tell that some wind farms actually burn electricity keeping the turbines spinning in low wind situations because the shafts will deform if they come to rest.

POer cornucopian fantasy includes cherry picking one of the few installations with a relatively small FF input.

Go figure out how much oil you need to burn to dig, purify, burn, and store U. Then let me know what % of nuclear is indirect oil. Same for PV.
What is laughable is the assertion that humanity cannot harness/generate energy without the use of fossil fuels. That fact that we don't today points more towards the incredible bounty of energy fossil fuels provide rather than some kind of technological impossibility. Windmills and water wheels have been used for thousands of years. Are you trying to say that once fossil fuels are completely gone, humanity will no longer be able to harness/generate energy? Our primitive ancestors licked that problem thousands of years ago. And humanity has learned a thing or 2 since then.

No, oil depletion will just reduce the scale that things operate at, with the transportation and construction industries being hit the hardest. Doesn't mean a gang with horses and fit people can't assemble a barn, or something like that.
Roads, streets and highways are a question where a material made from oil, asphalt, which is cheap and convenient (a road crew can resurface a road with asphalt within 16-24 hrs and the road is usable, unlike redoing a surface using concrete or stones) doesn't have a ready substitute. Same with plastics.
JV153

Unread postby Pops » Tue 10 Dec 2013, 09:09:21

I moved the "I disagree with everything" discussion to a new thread:
post1171496.html#p1171496
The legitimate object of government, is to do for a community of people, whatever they need to have done, but can not do, at all, or can not, so well do, for themselves -- in their separate, and individual capacities.
-- Abraham Lincoln, Fragment on Government (July 1, 1854)
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby dashster » Wed 11 Dec 2013, 06:31:37

spot5050 wrote:A suggestion for basic fact no. 11;

Short-termism
11. Humans think short-term.

We have labels for previous generations eg. "stone-age man" and "iron-age man". Future generations will call us "hydrocarbon-age man".

Yes, so true. And sadly, it will end due to a shortage of the resource, unlike the first two. The other difference is that they may jealously refer to us as hydrocarbon-age man, unlike the way we refer to stone-age man.
dashster
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby lasseter » Sat 11 Jan 2014, 20:44:57

kildred590 wrote:
First of all, you need to consider that conventional oil extraction peaked in 2005, so we have already past peak oil.

This is basically an economic argument.

A reality that is not often noted is that it takes oil to produce oil, and it takes a lot of oil to produce ethanol and shale oil etc. When they use oil and natural gas to recover shale oil, tar sands, or grow ethanol crops, they do not subtract the amount used from the total amount of oil produced. In other words the global production figure is misleading because the oil used to make new oil is not available to power our society.

When the ratio was 50:1 it didn't matter, but now this figure does matter. In the extreem we could open shale oil and tar sands projects all over the planet and have a massive increase of yearly production, yet have not a single barrel spare to power our cars and trucks and factories because all the refined oil would be used up in the expanding production of new oil.

Silly I know but it would be a reality. We need to ask ourselves the question. How much of the new hydrocarbons we produce is actually just replacing the older conventional oil reserves used up to produce them. We all know now that ethanol is basically a waste of oil and gas, but how many of these new ventures are likewise a waste.
Friends, good long lasting friends, these are worth more than gold
lasseter
Peat
Peat

Unread postby ROCKMAN » Sat 11 Jan 2014, 21:57:03

L - "...because the oil used to make new oil is not available to power our society." That's a good point. I can't quantify the magnitude but it isn't as big as some might think. But still a valid observation. And there are other factors reducing the net. One is the well known ELM factor. For instance how much oil the Saudi's produce isn't important...how much they export is. Along those same lines the next important question is how much of that net Saudi production (as well as from other exporters) will reach the open market. China (and some other players) have been tying up future oil production via long term contracts, direction ownership of in-ground reserves and refinery JV's.

Even in a world with more oil production then ever before the competition for what's out there is intense. The world has a thirst for energy far greater than whatever could be supplied. And some folks wonder why oil is bouncing around $100/bbl while we're producing so much. IMHO this is the reality of the PO world...not some date on a calendar.
ROCKMAN
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Lore » Sun 12 Jan 2014, 10:06:14

Pop's synopsis of the situation is still pretty solid.

Here is some recent thinking over at WUWT, in a guest post by Willis Eschenbach. Willis should probably concentrate on his usual shtick of climate change denial, but sometimes he just can't resist the occasional foray into the threat of Peak Oil on BAU. Denial runs pretty deep over there and it's telling that P.O. should be so closely tied to the idea of climate change. Pop's top ten with links would be the perfect rebuttal although I'm sure not many people there would accept those facts.

M. King Meets the EIA

Dramatis Personae:

The “EIA” is the US Energy Information Agency, the US agency in charge of data about energy production, consumption, and use. It has just released its January 2014 Short Term Energy Report, with current and projected oil production figures.

And “M. King” is Marion King Hubbert, the man who famously predicted in 1956 that US annual oil production would peak in 1970, and after that it would gradually decrease.

So why is the King meeting the EIA? Figure 1 shows why.
——–
Insert Figure 1. US crude oil production. Data from 1965 to 2013, projections for 2014 and 2015. As is customary, “crude oil production” includes what are called “natural gas liquids”. Data from the BP Statistical Review of World Energy and the EIA.
____

Now me, I see that as a testament to human ingenuity, as fantastic news for the planet, and as another example of the futility of betting against said ingenuity. As my dear dad used to say, “Imagination is free.”

[Talk is cheap too! Everybody's got ideas, but it takes money and resources to put them into some kind of action... "Lore"]

I don’t really have much more to say about this great news, other than I see it as a huge opportunity for the poor. The implications are clear. Cheap energy is the salvation of the poor, and this can only be good news for them … not to mention good news for the rest of us as well.

[Of course the oil is neither cheap nor plentiful. Throwing up just the US production stats says little about how the poor people on the rest of the planet will fare. ..."Lore"]

Best regards,

w.

PS—Folks, don’t bother telling me it is “unconventional oil”. That is a meaningless distinction, invented by supporters of Hubbert’s peak oil theory, to try to salvage Hubberts moribund claims. For example, when fracking was done in vertical wells for fifty years, it was counted as “conventional oil” … but now that the drilling is done horizontally, suddenly fracking produces “unconventional oil”. And given that for many centuries oil was collected from surface seeps, in historical terms all modern oil production is “unconventional”. See my post Conventional Wisdom, Unconventional Oil for a full discussion.

PPS—If you disagree with something that I or someone else said, please QUOTE EXACTLY WHAT THE PERSON SAID in the comment where you discuss your objections. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve been attacked over things that I never said … so quote it if you want to discuss it. I’m going to get more hard-headed on this one, I’m tired of picking spitballs off the wall. I’m happy to defend my words if I know which ones you are talking about … but I can’t defend your interpretation of my words. Quote it or lose it.

http://wattsupwiththat.com/2014/01/11/m ... s-the-eia/
The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life.
... Theodore Roosevelt
Lore
Fission
Fission

Unread postby ROCKMAN » Sun 12 Jan 2014, 11:46:26

Lore - A slow Sunday morning so I'll jump in and correct some of his statements. "...Hubbert, the man who famously predicted in 1956 that US annual oil production would peak in 1970, and after that it would gradually decrease." Rather irritating how often folks either don't understand his work or intentionally misrepresent it. Hubert did not predict US production "would gradually decrease". What he predicted was that the oil trends he based his analysis upon would reach peak production in 1971 and then gradually decrease. And that prediction has proven to be very correct. Deep Water GOM oil and the oil shales were not part of the population he based his stats on. And not to take anything away from his work he did make that projection rather late in the life of the trends he studied. Consider doing the same projection for the Eagle Ford or Deep Water trends of the GOM and Brazil. That would be a tad challenging today. But consider doing so 30 years from today. Which is exactly what Hubbert did: his stat was based on US oil trends that began developing 30 years before his projection. And that is what almost every person who refers to Hubbert's work misses: he wasn't predicting production from future trends...just from those rather mature trends he based his work on.

"...when fracking was done in vertical wells for fifty years, it was counted as “conventional oil” … but now that the drilling is done horizontally, suddenly fracking produces “unconventional oil". He is free to make up all the definitions he wants. But it doesn't change the way the folks in the oil patch who actually explore for oil define the dynamics. Despite all the confusion there is no such thing as "unconventional oil" for us. There are conventional and unconventional RESERVOIRS. In general a conventional RESERVOIR produces from interconnected pore spaces. Unconventional RESERVOIRS generally produce from fracture porosity for the most part and not the primary porosity seen in conventional RESERVOIRS. So no: vertical wells fractured fifty years ago were completed in unconventional RESERVOIRS. And those wells produced oil from unconventional reservoirs...not unconventional oil. And as far as the oil patch is concerned the current shale plays are producing oil (not unconventional oil) from unconventional reservoirs. The "conventional" portion of "conventional reservoir" specifically refers to how the well is completed...not the nature of the reservoir. Shooting holes in the casing and flowing oil out is a "conventional" completion. Shooting holes in the casing and pumping in a few hundred thousands pound of sand to fracture the reservoir is an "unconventional completion". And many unconventional completions done fifty years ago (and being done today) were not in fractured shale reservoirs. In fact most frac jobs done in the early days were in limestone reservoirs and not shales.

OK...I know that is a rather geogeek point. But if such yahoos are allowed to make up definitions just to further their agenda the conversation will only become more confusing IMHO.
ROCKMAN
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Lore » Sun 12 Jan 2014, 11:53:42

Thanks Rockman, the first point was caught by a smart cookie in the comments section there. Maybe you could educate them on the rest? Although I'm sure your facts won't jive with the belief of a lot of the faithful there. Of course WUWT is not known for fact checking, or admitting to the truth when caught on promoting bogus information.
The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life.
... Theodore Roosevelt
Lore
Fission
Fission

Unread postby ROCKMAN » Mon 13 Jan 2014, 10:51:50

Lore - I'll try to bounce over soon. I try to not hold such matters against most folks. Just about everyone gets their info from a blog and/or MSM. And those sources almost always have some or much of it wrong. Even a lot of geonerds don't keep matters in the correct context because they seldom go back to the source. Obviously what irritates me is when I sense someone, regardless of which side of the fence they're on, is intentionally using straw man argument. It's already difficult for many to appreciate the technicalities. Lies and misdirection aren’t going to help.

I was reading a report just last night that consistently used "conventional oil". But it's easy to understand why: that takes up a lot less space than "oil produced from a conventional reservoir using conventional drilling and completion methods". But the problem becomes serious when they start classifying Deep Water production as unconventional because of the water depths. Those reservoirs out there are just a conventional as the big onshore fields developed in the 50's. Obviously what isn't conventional is the water depth but that doesn't make it unconventional oil. And then add that some of the larger US onshore fields decades ago were from unconventional reservoirs.

Which goes full circle to the rant I always have trouble resisting: this is not a new age of "unconventional oil" nor a new age of shale production or a new age of horizontal drilling or a new age of frac'ng. It's a new age of sustained (so far) record high oil prices. If folks truly understood what driving the dynamics today they might be making more appropriate actions to prepare for the future. Like most geologists I learned a hard lesson early in my career: don’t over promise. Because even if you make a good well but it falls far short of your prediction management won’t be happy. And then consider how they’ll feel if it’s a dry hole.
ROCKMAN
Expert
Expert

Unread postby lasseter » Sat 01 Feb 2014, 08:17:44

ROCKMAN wrote: It's a new age of sustained (so far) record high oil prices. If folks truly understood what driving the dynamics today they might be making more appropriate actions to prepare for the future.

Quite right. Debate about oil reserves, types, etc is of little use now aside from an interesting academic exercise to me. We saw the consequences of $150 oil in the GFC and we now see clearly that recovery of our oil based economies is impossible at $100+ oil. At the end of the day, I like most people, just want to retire someday and grow old in relative comfort. To assure that I have to invest in a world that is not counting on cheap oil. I have to expect a world that will suffer from massive economic upheavel. And since 2007, I have not been disappointed in that expectation.

Solar Panels; Gold; farmland and kidney beans :lol
Friends, good long lasting friends, these are worth more than gold
lasseter
Peat
Peat

Unread postby StarvingLion » Thu 10 Jul 2014, 00:33:02

"If folks truly understood what driving the dynamics today they might be making more appropriate actions to prepare for the future."

The appropriate action around here is the 'Teepee Lifestyle'. It never occurs to these "rugged individualists" that they will simply be run off the land. There is no means of resistance to the Capital Machine. The bleeping Machine couldn't care less about the dynamics of peak oil or the so-called climate change.
StarvingLion
Permanently Banned

Unread postby StarvingLion » Thu 10 Jul 2014, 00:38:35

lasseter wrote:
ROCKMAN wrote: It's a new age of sustained (so far) record high oil prices. If folks truly understood what driving the dynamics today they might be making more appropriate actions to prepare for the future.

Quite right. Debate about oil reserves, types, etc is of little use now aside from an interesting academic exercise to me. We saw the consequences of $150 oil in the GFC and we now see clearly that recovery of our oil based economies is impossible at $100+ oil. At the end of the day, I like most people, just want to retire someday and grow old in relative comfort. To assure that I have to invest in a world that is not counting on cheap oil. I have to expect a world that will suffer from massive economic upheavel. And since 2007, I have not been disappointed in that expectation.

Solar Panels; Gold; farmland and kidney beans :lol

"Solar Panels; Gold; farmland and kidney beans:lol"

What are you laughing about buddy? Your "strategy" is bugging out of the system and turning over the land to the Capital Class eventually. Capital thanks you very much for your decision.
Outcast_Searcher is a fraud.
StarvingLion
Permanently Banned

Unread postby AgentR11 » Sun 17 Aug 2014, 10:05:09

Yall discount my comments about bicycles and scooters; this though, you're gonna have a hard time with.

http://www.indianagazette.com/news/reg- ... ,20419259/

At 84 mpg; you're talking a price point of over $15 (US 2014)/gallon before price of fuel becomes intrinsically more costly for commuting than it currently is. The most important feature though, is that not only is the commuter mileage high, but that the vehicle is cheap, enclosed, and has A/C; which are the basic requirements for getting a middle aged suit wearer from the suburbs into downtown.

Game, set, match, for the fast doomers ascribing to "The End of Suburbia". Adaptation is possible after all.

Doesn't change the slow doom though, and to an extent, helps guarantee the slow doom.. There might be oil that can't be economically produced at $120(US2014)/bbl; but $600(US2014)/bbl... You could probably produce at the North Pole in winter at that price. So don't read this as a corny post; this is doom on steroids; Hansenites should look at that vehicle and gasp in horror.
Yes we are, as we are,
And so shall we remain,
Until the end.
AgentR11
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby AgentR11 » Sun 17 Aug 2014, 10:13:01

StarvingLion wrote:The appropriate action around here is the 'Teepee Lifestyle'. It never occurs to these "rugged individualists" that they will simply be run off the land. There is no means of resistance to the Capital Machine. The bleeping Machine couldn't care less about the dynamics of peak oil or the so-called climate change.

There is only one way to stay on their land; they must participate in the Capital Machine. Now, fortunately enough, that machine doesn't demand a HUGE commitment, but it does require you to show up and toss the ball around. Taxes on my home for instance... a couple grand a year, not an unreasonable demand; we are social creatures, even the asocial amongst us. The tribe, as it were, wants me to show up, move the ball a bit to pay it tribute, and then is content to let me go my way. The tribe will get annoyed though, if I wish to occupy space, but not participate; and if it becomes annoyed enough, will remove me by force.

Really.. its always been this way with humans. I see no reason the rugged individualist can't sell some watermelons on the road side, or raise a couple cows, or push a broom at a warehouse for a few hours. Hardly a great insult to freedom and dignity.
Yes we are, as we are,
And so shall we remain,
Until the end.
AgentR11
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby StarvingLion » Mon 18 Aug 2014, 01:57:54

AgentR11 wrote:
StarvingLion wrote:The appropriate action around here is the 'Teepee Lifestyle'. It never occurs to these "rugged individualists" that they will simply be run off the land. There is no means of resistance to the Capital Machine. The bleeping Machine couldn't care less about the dynamics of peak oil or the so-called climate change.

There is only one way to stay on their land; they must participate in the Capital Machine. Now, fortunately enough, that machine doesn't demand a HUGE commitment, but it does require you to show up and toss the ball around. Taxes on my home for instance... a couple grand a year, not an unreasonable demand; we are social creatures, even the asocial amongst us. The tribe, as it were, wants me to show up, move the ball a bit to pay it tribute, and then is content to let me go my way. The tribe will get annoyed though, if I wish to occupy space, but not participate; and if it becomes annoyed enough, will remove me by force.

Really.. its always been this way with humans. I see no reason the rugged individualist can't sell some watermelons on the road side, or raise a couple cows, or push a broom at a warehouse for a few hours. Hardly a great insult to freedom and dignity.

And what makes you think you have the right to "push a broom at a warehouse for a few hours". You're not making that decision, now are you?

You're like Merlin the Magician...except your apathy is so astounding that the energy to wave the wand does not exist.

There is no knowledge of a financial system in your world, just a desire to pretend its not even there stripping resources away from YOU!
Outcast_Searcher is a fraud.
StarvingLion
Permanently Banned

Unread postby AgentR11 » Mon 18 Aug 2014, 09:52:51

StarvingLion wrote:And what makes you think you have the right to "push a broom at a warehouse for a few hours". You're not making that decision, now are you?

No such right has ever existed. The rest of your rant is based upon the assumption that I believe such a right exists, and is therefore invalid and irrelevant.

If you do NOT participate in the capital machine, your land WILL be taken away, by force. Your preps, regardless of magnitude, will be stripped from you or destroyed, by force. You are responsible for finding a way to participate. No one owes you that. No one is responsible for that, other than you. If you fail at that, you have no right to own land, eat, walk, drink, sleep, or breathe.

Stark enough for you?
Yes we are, as we are,
And so shall we remain,
Until the end.
AgentR11
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

PreviousNext

Return to Peak Oil Discussion