Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

These 6 states are most dependent on oil, gas, and coal prod

Discussions of conventional and alternative energy production technologies.

These 6 states are most dependent on oil, gas, and coal prod

Unread postby Graeme » Fri 08 Aug 2014, 19:58:56

These 6 states are most dependent on oil, gas, and coal production

The industries that extract oil, coal, and natural gas only make up about 2 percent of the US economy. But some states are much more reliant on mining and energy production for their livelihoods:

The chart above comes from the Energy Information Administration (EIA), which looks at the states that are most reliant on mining and fossil-fuel extraction. A short breakdown:

Wyoming's mining sector has seen a large boom in the past decade, particularly as US coal production continues to shift from Appalachia to Wyoming's Powder River Basin. Advanced fracking and horizontal drilling techniques have also allowed companies to extract oil and gas from the Niobara formation.

Alaska is the one big state bucking the trend — whereas lots of other energy states have seen a boom in fossil-fuel production due to fracking, Alaska's mining industry actually declined last year. One big factor: conventional oil production is declining in the state's crucial North Slope oil fields.

West Virginia's massive coal industry has also faced a decline — particularly as US coal plants shut down and production moves to Wyoming. But the state's mining sector is still growing, in part because shale-gas production has risen sharply in the state.

North Dakota has seen the biggest boom, in large part due to tight oil production in the Bakken region. In 2003, energy production made up just 2 percent of the state's economy. Now it makes up 14 percent. (That's also a big reason why North Dakota's unemployment rate is now a minuscule 2.7 percent.)

Oklahoma has seen a big jump in its energy production sector — growing 19 percent last year (and 7 percent annually over the past decade). Fracking and other new drilling techniques are a big story there.

Texas actually has the largest mining sector of any state. But because the rest of its economy is so large, mining only makes up about 11 percent. Still, that state has also seen a big fracking boom.

vox
Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe. H. G. Wells.
Fatih Birol's motto: leave oil before it leaves us.
Graeme
Fusion
Fusion

Re: These 6 states are most dependent on oil, gas, and coal

Unread postby Graeme » Fri 08 Aug 2014, 20:29:09

But only contribute 2% of US economy?
Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe. H. G. Wells.
Graeme
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Fri 08 Aug 2014, 20:36:47

I'd much rather be producing and exporting energy then importing it and paying for it through "Service Jobs"!!
vtsnowedin
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby kublikhan » Fri 08 Aug 2014, 20:41:28

That's Rockman down there in Texas slaving away to get us oil so I can putter around in my Corolla. Thanks Rockman!
The oil barrel is half-full.
kublikhan
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Unread postby ROCKMAN » Fri 08 Aug 2014, 21:09:47

Graeme - "But only contribute 2% of US economy?". One way to phrase it. But consider what would happen to the economies of all the other states without that 2%. If the folks in CA suddenly lost half of their motor fuel and NG what % of the national economy would they be contributing? If NYC lost a lot of their energy sources how much would they be contributing to the economy?

Symbiotic dynamics comes to mind. The US economy is a system in which different components bring certain strengths to the table. We're sort of like the 50 musketeers...all for one and one for all. Except for Minnesota...those freaking leeches.
ROCKMAN
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Graeme » Sat 09 Aug 2014, 00:04:48

ROCK, It just goes to show that once the power and transport sectors are carbon-free, the fossil-fuel industry won't be missed. Coal is being phased out now; oil will be next. . .
Graeme
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby ROCKMAN » Sat 09 Aug 2014, 09:54:02

Graeme - "...once the power and transport sectors are carbon-free, the fossil-fuel industry won't be missed." Today many economies are suffering with an insufficient amount of carbon based energy. They miss us already. LOL.
Trust me: I've got no problem with a carbon-free society. It will happen long after I'm gone. But I'm pretty sure much of the decline will be due to a lack of such energy sources then by substitution. As you point out the alts are coming on...but slowly. I would offer that the higher cost of oil has reduced carbon based energy consumption to a greater degree then all the alts combined. Just imagine your worse nightmare: oil, NG and coal selling for half their current price. Increased GHG production and the alts kicked to the curb.
ROCKMAN
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Synapsid » Sat 09 Aug 2014, 11:03:04

Graeme,

How do you figure that coal is being phased out now? Is that globally or in the US or what?
Synapsid
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby ROCKMAN » Sat 09 Aug 2014, 15:38:53

Syn - Do you mean you don't think we're turning away from coal just because global consumption increased more then 70% between 1999 and 2012. Perhaps you share the same uninformed thoughts of the IEA:

"Tougher Chinese policies aimed at reducing dependency on coal will help restrain global coal demand growth over the next five years, the International Energy Agency (IEA) says in its annual Medium-Term Coal Market Report released today. Despite the slightly slower pace of growth, however, coal will meet more of the increase in global primary energy than oil or gas – continuing a trend that has been in place for more than a decade."

King Coal is dead...long live Kind Alt. LOL
ROCKMAN
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Gavia » Sat 09 Aug 2014, 17:38:26

ROCKMAN wrote: Except for Minnesota...those freaking leeches.

ROCK, Can you elaborate, is there something going on in Minnesota economically that makes you say this? Or perhaps just a walleye fishing joke?

I'm from there (Gavia=Loon=MN state bird)

Cheers from Cascadia
Gavia
Wood
Wood

Unread postby ROCKMAN » Sat 09 Aug 2014, 20:44:39

Gavia- Just plucked Minnesota out of the air. Just wondered how many would come to their defense. LOL.
ROCKMAN
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Graeme » Sat 09 Aug 2014, 21:12:56

I have two threads (China and USA emissions) and Dohboi has one on coal's decline by 2020.

As for oil, there are numerous threads on this board indicating that oil production in the US and globally will start to decline during the next decade.

Oil demand will decline during same decade.

There will be substitution of oil by biofuels, gas-powered trucks and cars, BEV and FCV's; the latter are growing very fast especially BEV's. RE is displacing FF in the power sector also rapidly. In ten years, the world will be well on the path to be carbon-free.

The biggest pressure against oil is the growing recognition of the deterioration of the environment and the impact this will have on negotiations at COP21 in Paris.

Also the recognition that our global economic system has to change.

So the contribution that FF will have in the US and globally will decline one way or another sooner than you think. They won't be missed.
Graeme
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Synapsid » Sun 10 Aug 2014, 15:30:00

ROCKMAN,

Yeah, I understand that part; that's the reason I asked.

You'd think by now I could tell a non-topic from an error, but Oh no! I start to wonder if what was said was what was intended, but that wouldn't... It's all downhill from there.
Synapsid
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby AgentR11 » Sun 10 Aug 2014, 16:26:25

Graeme wrote:But only contribute 2% of US economy?

I agree! We're getting ripped off; you leaches need to be paying much more for your oil, coal, and gas!
Yes we are, as we are,
And so shall we remain,
Until the end.
AgentR11
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Henriksson » Sun 10 Aug 2014, 17:34:03

Advertisement "contribute" ~1% of the US economy. GPD is a pretty poor indicator of wealth, all things considered.
Henriksson
Peat
Peat

Unread postby SILENTTODD » Tue 12 Aug 2014, 10:48:41

What's interesting to me about this list is my home state California which usually listed as #3 in oil production (ahead of Oklahoma), and certainly with more real "mining" operations than either Texas or Oklahoma, does not even appear.

California's population is so large and it's economy so diverse, oil and mining are a minor part of the economy. Agriculture is larger.

Californian is also listed on a per capita energy consumption basis near the bottom. 49th among states on one list I saw. But of course we have high gas prices too.
Skeptical scrutiny in both Science and Religion is the means by which deep thoughts are winnowed from deep nonsense-Carl Sagan
SILENTTODD
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Return to Energy Technology