Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

How Much Energy Will the 2014 World Cup Consume?

What's on your mind?
General interest discussions, not necessarily related to depletion.

How Much Energy Will the 2014 World Cup Consume?

Unread postby Oilguy » Thu 12 Jun 2014, 21:20:25

Along with 3 billion other viewers around the world, I plan to tune in for the month-long World Cup to see whether the 22-year old Neymar can withstand the colossal pressure that has been put upon his shoulders to deliver a win for team Brazil.

Every time I turn on my television set, I’m using World Cup-related energy. And that’s just the start. Flying in teams, trainers, equipment, World Cup personnel and the estimated 500,000-plus fans will use enormous volumes of jet fuel.

Add to that powering the stadiums on game days, moving millions of spectators around host-country Brazil, and transmitting the event to billions of viewers worldwide, and you end up with millions of tons of carbon dioxide added to the atmosphere.

So while the 2014 World Cup is going to be bigger than ever -- it’s shaping up to be the most watched, most lucrative and expensive tournament in soccer history -- it’s also going to be one of the biggest energy-consuming, greenhouse gas-spewing World Cups in history.

Think about this as the music blasts through the stadium and the fans cheer and scream and the players race up and down the field chasing the ball: The 2014 World Cup tournament will burn through enough energy before it’s over to fuel almost every one of the 260 million cars and trucks in the United States for an entire day, or the equivalent of what 560,000 cars use in a year.

Full article at: http://oilprice.com/Energy/Energy-General/How-Much-Energy-Will-the-2014-World-Cup-Consume.html
Oilguy
Peat
Peat

Re: How Much Energy Will the 2014 World Cup Consume?

Unread postby dsula » Thu 12 Jun 2014, 21:27:27

Oilguy wrote:Every time I turn on my television set, I’m using World Cup-related energy.

If you don't watch the world cup, you'd watch something else. Or do something else that uses energy.

I'm hoping for a Switzerland vs Mexico final. Far fetched, I know.
Now how can I convince the farmers in my local dive to switch the TV from football or baseball to a real sport, soccer?
dsula
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby dolanbaker » Fri 13 Jun 2014, 02:41:31

Another way of looking at this is to say that the world cup will save energy because it will engage large groups of people into watching television together.
Rather than individuals doing their own thing, for some would involve using large amounts of energy like driving places.
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by rulers as useful.:Anonymous
Our whole economy is based on planned obsolescence.
Hungrymoggy "I am now predicting that Europe will NUKE ITSELF sometime in the first week of January"
dolanbaker
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby nocar » Tue 17 Jun 2014, 04:23:03

I wonder how much energy has gone into building all those great arenas. Anybody has an estimation?
nocar
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby dorlomin » Tue 17 Jun 2014, 04:55:08

Most of the energy is likely displaced from other sources rather than novel demand. And just so long as England are on an early flight home Ill be happy.
dorlomin
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Tanada » Sat 12 Jul 2014, 18:46:22

Brazil despite all the boasting has come in 4th in this years World Cup. Who expects rioting and random violence to spike as a result? How do you tell the difference between Happy riot, angry riot and just old fashion opportunistic rioting?
Alfred Tennyson wrote:We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Open Topic Discussion