Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Global oil exploration nears $1 trillion

General discussions of the systemic, societal and civilisational effects of depletion.

Global oil exploration nears $1 trillion

Unread postby Graeme » Thu 10 Jul 2014, 19:49:24

Global oil exploration nears $1 trillion - where are the finds?

Two years ago Total's chief Christophe de Margerie launched a "high risk, high reward" oil exploration strategy, betting he could hit a bonanza, even though his rivals had failed to make big discoveries.

But Total risks joining the industry trend of making only smaller and fewer finds, despite global investments in oil exploration heading to a record $1 trillion by 2017.

This week, Margerie told Reuters he gives himself until the year-end to find a major deposit or cut the exploration budget next year following several disappointing drilling campaigns.

Top players are struggling to find enough conventional oil. Majors are caught between growing pressure from investors to cut spending and boost profits and the increasingly costly need to replace declining onshore and offshore reserves.

"Over the last 10 years the rate of return from exploration has diminished with time," said Andrew Lodge, exploration director at London-listed explorer Premier Oil.

"In the heyday of 2001-2002 the average rate of return for the industry was 20 percent ... that dropped last year to around 10 percent," he said.

Disappointing exploration campaigns no longer make such big headlines as they were 10 years ago amid the "peak oil" debate.

In a measure of the success of drilling project, the number of new oilfield developments is set to drop below 50 per year in 2014 and 2015, compared with an average of 75 per year over the past decade, according to Nicholas Green, analyst at London-based Bernstein Research.

"This represents the lowest level of activity since 1999, lower even than the oil price crash of 2008-09," he said.

The declining rate of finds is now discouraging investment in certain areas, with drilling in the North Sea set to decline the most over the next two years. Southeast Asia is likely to be the only region to see increased activity, according to Green.

The complexity of "frontier exploration" such as the Arctic and the pre-salt deep waters of Brazil and West Africa has cut returns on investments.

reuters
Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe. H. G. Wells.
Fatih Birol's motto: leave oil before it leaves us.
Graeme
Fusion
Fusion

Re: Global oil exploration nears $1 trillion

Unread postby Strummer » Fri 11 Jul 2014, 06:03:01

Exploration and production spending has risen four-fold since 2000 to around $700 billion because of a rise in material and services prices, which in turn were driven to a large extent by a steep increase in global oil prices and inflation rates.

Look like someone has discovered the downward spiral of declining EROEI.
Strummer
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby westexas » Fri 11 Jul 2014, 09:34:02

"Over the last 10 years the rate of return from exploration has diminished with time," said Andrew Lodge, exploration director at London-listed explorer Premier Oil.

Based on the foregoing assumptions regarding the global Condensate to C+C Ratio and the estimated rate of increase in global condensate production, I estimate that actual global crude oil production (45 or lower API gravity crude) increased from about 60 mbpd in 2002 to about 67 mbpd in 2005, and then stagnated at 67 mbpd or less for 2006 to 2013 inclusive. In other words, actual global crude oil production probably peaked in 2005, but global natural gas production and associated liquids (condensates and NGL's) have so far continued to increase.

Basically, I think that Peak Oil has been hiding in plain sight, disguised by the continued increase in condensate production, NGL production and biofuels production.
westexas
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Pops » Fri 11 Jul 2014, 10:09:18

Disappointing exploration campaigns no longer make such big headlines as they were 10 years ago amid the "peak oil" debate.

This is an interesting observation. Is the ""peak oil" debate" is over?

If so, who won?
The legitimate object of government, is to do for a community of people, whatever they need to have done, but can not do, at all, or can not, so well do, for themselves -- in their separate, and individual capacities.
-- Abraham Lincoln, Fragment on Government (July 1, 1854)
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby westexas » Fri 11 Jul 2014, 10:59:13

Pops,

I guess that the story line is that global crude oil production has not peaked--it's just that trillions of dollars spent globally on upstream projects have almost certainly, and somewhat mysteriously, failed to cause a material increase in global crude oil production (45 or lower API gravity crude) since 2005.

Note that I estimate that a much smaller expenditure from 2002 to 2005 resulted in global crude oil production increasing from about 60 mbpd in 2002 to about 67 mbpd in 2005. At the 2002 to 2005 rate of increase, we would have been at about 90 mbpd (actual crude oil production) in 2013, versus my estimate of about 67 mbpd in 2013.
westexas
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Pops » Fri 11 Jul 2014, 12:43:31

That's right WT, anything but peak! LOL

It's been interesting watching PO develop over the 15 or so years that I've been paying attention and one of the many things I didn't see coming was that OilCos would run out of capital. Not that they are broke of course but I simply didn't think through the scenario where they actually believed money make oil and blew their wad trying to prove it.

I said "low fruit" and "demand destruction' and "EROEI" and "diminishing returns" and all the correct buzzwords but I suppose the reality of actual physical limits still seems so foreign here in the land of Babbit that it is hard to make the gut connection.
The legitimate object of government, is to do for a community of people, whatever they need to have done, but can not do, at all, or can not, so well do, for themselves -- in their separate, and individual capacities.
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby kuidaskassikaeb » Fri 11 Jul 2014, 16:35:32

My question is Is this exploration money for new fields or test wells in existing fields? Is it more expensive to explore or are they drilling more holes?
kuidaskassikaeb
Coal
Coal

Unread postby rockdoc123 » Fri 11 Jul 2014, 21:37:25

t's been interesting watching PO develop over the 15 or so years that I've been paying attention and one of the many things I didn't see coming was that OilCos would run out of capital. Not that they are broke of course but I simply didn't think through the scenario where they actually believed money make oil and blew their wad trying to prove it.

I don't think that is completely true. The oil companies all go through the budgeting process each year. Having been there I know there is no damn way that exploration spending is going to make up the majority of a large oil companies spend. Indeed I would be surprised to see the big companies putting more than 20% of their annual capital in that direction. Lots of failures out there though as one would expect as it gets harder and harder to find good pools at economic rates. I have been saying that for a long time.
rockdoc123
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Pops » Sat 12 Jul 2014, 07:12:11

What part isn't true? The go broke on exploration part?

You're right about the small percent spent exploration, I was surprised to read it's even less than the 20% you mention, although I can't remember if that was just one company or a broader number.
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby rockdoc123 » Sat 12 Jul 2014, 10:44:54

What part isn't true? The go broke on exploration part?

Yes. For most companies that are large enough the money allocated to reserve replacement is going to acquisitions and mergers. The rationale here is that exploration is a tough business and has serious risks entailed. They aren't prepared to risk that much of their free capital. As a consequence it makes more sense to find another company that is struggling for one reason or another (usually bad management or sometimes political issues) and buy them out either for money or share consideration. Of course this tactic will only last as long as there are smaller companies out there not doing so well and the rub often is that companies overpay for reserves when the market is hot. Right now seems to be a good buying opportunity in places that are politically stressed (eg. North Africa deals seem to be pretty cheap in comparison to those being done in SE Asia).

You're right about the small percent spent exploration, I was surprised to read it's even less than the 20% you mention, although I can't remember if that was just one company or a broader number.

Everyone of the companies I've been involved with had exploration as a low priority, indeed it would be a viscious fight to get much in the way of funds allocated to rank exploration. From a corporate risk perspective that approach makes sense.
rockdoc123
Expert
Expert

Return to Peak Oil Discussion