Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

France has 'less than one year' of fossil fuels left

General discussions of the systemic, societal and civilisational effects of depletion.

Unread postby Graeme » Thu 15 May 2014, 23:01:30

France will run out of its natural gas, oil and coal supplies within the next year, according to experts.

The Global Sustainability Institute at Anglia Ruskin University also found:

Italy has less than a year of gas and coal, and only one year of oil.

Some Eastern European members fare much better, with 73 years left of coal in Bulgaria and 34 years of coal in Poland.

Germany has over 250 years left of coal but less than a year of oil and only two years of gas.

Russia has over 50 years of oil, over 100 years of gas and over 500 years of coal, based on their current levels of internal consumption.

itv
Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe. H. G. Wells.
Fatih Birol's motto: leave oil before it leaves us.
Graeme
Fusion
Fusion

Re: France has 'less than one year' of fossil fuels left

Unread postby PrestonSturges » Fri 16 May 2014, 01:37:10

As Hitler knew, France has the best farm land in Europe. At the end of the day, France will get its oil because everyone has to eat. That's basic macroeconomics.
PrestonSturges
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Subjectivist » Fri 16 May 2014, 07:53:27

PrestonSturges wrote:As Hitler knew, France has the best farm land in Europe. At the end of the day, France will get its oil because everyone has to eat. That's basic macroeconomics.

Where did you get this idea from? Poland and Ukraine are known for having deep rich soils just as much as France. The difference post World War Two had more to do with management than basic resources.
II Chronicles 7:14 if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.
Subjectivist
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby ROCKMAN » Fri 16 May 2014, 11:09:20

"France will run out of its natural gas, oil and coal supplies within the next year, according to experts." Well, double Da!. LOL. I wonder how much they pay these experts to figure out the obvious: France has never had a meaningful fossil fuel reserve base. And thus their early expansion of nuclear power. So they are essentially predicting France will run out of what they never had:

France has the second largest economy in Europe and the fifth largest economy in the world. As France produces very little domestic energy, it relies heavily on imports from bordering countries to meet the majority of its natural gas demands (EIA). France is currently the fourth largest consumer of natural gas in Europe, preceded by Germany, Italy, and the UK. France imports the vast majority of its gas from Algeria, Nigeria, Norway, Russia, and the Netherlands. Domestic natural gas production in France has always been negligible.
ROCKMAN
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Quinny » Fri 16 May 2014, 14:52:19

Exactly - RM - you are destroying the myth of Yanks being geographically and economically illiterate. Behave!
Live, Love, Learn, Leave Legacy.....oh and have a Laugh while you're doing it!
Quinny
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby TheDude » Fri 16 May 2014, 16:25:46

Cogito, ergo non satis bibivi
And let me tell you something: I dig your work.
TheDude
Expert
Expert

Unread postby ROCKMAN » Fri 16 May 2014, 17:26:28

Quinny - Thanks to the Internet and me being trapped in a chair almost 24 hours a day I can pretend to be almost as smart as you dang foreigners.
ROCKMAN
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Graeme » Fri 16 May 2014, 19:21:35

Dude, Thanks. Yes, Italy and UK are in same boat as you and Independent noted.
Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe. H. G. Wells.
Graeme
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Shaved Monkey » Fri 16 May 2014, 19:49:52

Subjectivist wrote:
PrestonSturges wrote:As Hitler knew, France has the best farm land in Europe. At the end of the day, France will get its oil because everyone has to eat. That's basic macroeconomics.

Where did you get this idea from? Poland and Ukraine are known for having deep rich soils just as much as France. The difference post World War Two had more to do with management than basic resources.

Probably a warmer climate and a longer growing season in France would give it an advantage.
Ready to turn Zombies into WWOOFers
Shaved Monkey
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Graeme » Sun 18 May 2014, 17:07:17

EU Facing Severe Fossil Fuel & Natural Resource Shortages In Near Future

Of course, even with such a push, it seems unlikely that the current economic status quo can be maintained for many of the countries currently on the receiving end of the industrial world’s wealth pumps. That said, there isn’t much of an alternative for many countries, is there? So, why the political deadlock? Is political disfunction, and a largely apathetic populace, just in the nature of a prosperous country (or countries) on the decline?

Considering that many of the leading military think-tanks of the world have openly acknowledged these issues, as well as the issues surrounding climate change and its effects, why are said issues continually brushed off in public and political discourse, with the ever-present phrases: “They’ll think of something” and “Technology will fix that” and so on?

Simple denial?

Those interested can find the full report at the Global Sustainability Institute’s website. The full-report also explores other issues, such as food and water insecurity in North Africa and the Middle East, and economic inequality in South and Central America.

The full GRO database of social, environmental, and economic data will be made available to download this summer.

cleantechnica
Graeme
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby sparky » Mon 19 May 2014, 02:20:53

Japan has an infinitesimal amount of coal in Hokkaido , no gas or crude whatsoever
Germany has some coal but nothing much compared to their need
Spain is bare , some coal in the Asturias province
Sweden is an energy desert , Swizterland has mountains and Fu...k all fossil carbon
the list goes on ,
what exactly is the point ,
the world trading network doesn't exist because it's politically correct
it exist because it is a life and death necessity for plenty of countries
sparky
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby ChilPhil1986 » Fri 30 May 2014, 00:02:28

Does anyone else here of the opinion that France will serve as the bellweather for the rest of Europe with regard to the impacts of peak energy and the resulting economic contraction? Already with the EU voting, I'm seeing the same rise in nationalistic sentiment that arose from crushing economic conditions Germany experienced in the 1930's. The key difference being that there won't be the resources for that type of discontent to organize and vent itself like the Nazis. This next decade or so, reality feels more like history working in reverse.
ChilPhil1986
Wood
Wood

Unread postby ROCKMAN » Fri 30 May 2014, 00:13:12

Chil - I noticed the same general trends in most of the EU swing right except for Greece and couple of others where times are so bad with few options folks swung left presumably hoping the gov't will feed them. You can already see where the right is arguing against sharing with the weak side of the EU. IOW "brotherhood" no longer appears to be the program. More like "me first" and I don't have enough to share.
ROCKMAN
Expert
Expert

Return to Peak Oil Discussion