Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

From Putin, a Blessing in Disguise

For discussions of events and conditions not necessarily related to Peak Oil.

Unread postby Graeme » Wed 19 Mar 2014, 19:37:48

There are a lot of people who seem intent on restarting the Cold War — in both Moscow and Washington. I am not one of them. But if we’re going to have a new Cold War, then I have one condition: I want a new moonshot.

The Space Race and the technologies it produced weren’t purely an offshoot of the U.S.-Soviet missile competition, but they were certainly energized by that competition. Well, if we’re going to go at it again, this time I want an Earth Race. I want America to lead in developing an energy policy that will weaken the oil-and-gas-autocracy of Russian President Vladimir Putin, and, as a byproduct, produce the technologies that will mitigate climate change, make America a global technology and moral leader and ensure that the next generation can thrive here on Earth.

And as opposed to the stimulus/deficit debate, in the energy case, there really is now the raw material for a “Grand Bargain” between Democrats and Republicans — if President Obama wants to try to forge it. Such an energy grand strategy would be a first. It’s shocking how devoid of strategic intent U.S. energy policy has been. Both political parties have repeatedly let our economy be hostage to Middle Eastern and Latin American oil despots and to energy booms and busts.

The key ingredients for a new U.S. energy strategy, argues Hal Harvey, the C.E.O. of Energy Innovation, is, first, “to optimize affordability, reliability and clean together, rather than one at the expense of the other.” Second to “take advantage of new technology, we finally have the capacity to build an energy system we can be proud of, and by choosing this future, we will stimulate even more technologies that deliver energy that is indeed affordable, reliable and clean.” And, third, to “ensure that our natural gas bonanza actually ushers in a truly clean future.”

Here’s the deal Obama should offer oil-patch Republicans and Democrats. “You really want to open up the country to the exploration of natural gas? You really want to be free to export oil and gas to global markets — so long as it’s consistent with our national interests — and affect global markets in ways that could weaken Putinism? You really want the Keystone pipeline? Fine, I’ll give you all of it. And in return you’ll give me a bridge to a secure, clean-energy future for America.”

Harvey argues that such a deal should include the following: First, to ensure that natural gas is a boon rather than a curse, the oil and gas industry — and the lawmakers they control — have to accept national rules for extracting natural gas based on known best practices, including strategies that eliminate the leakage of methane, which is so much more potent a greenhouse gas than carbon dioxide.

Second, we need to set a national clean energy standard for electricity. One popular approach is to require utilities to raise the fraction of their electricity from zero-carbon sources — such as wind, solar or nuclear — by, say, 2 percent per year. Such a standard creates a market for renewables, which drives down costs, and helps ensure that natural gas is a transition fuel that replaces coal, not solar, wind and other clean power sources. Thirty states have some variant of this, and it has been hugely successful in stimulating development of new technology.

Third, we have to accelerate energy efficiency and clean power technologies by building up our research and development programs to the levels they merit, probably triple today’s levels. This is the source of our long-term advantage.

Fourth, we have to impose a revenue-neutral carbon tax — a Republican idea, championed by one of America’s most respected statesmen, Reagan’s secretary of state, George Shultz — that would replace payroll and corporate taxes.

I don’t like Keystone. Extracting oil from tar sands leads to even higher carbon emissions than drilling and devastates the landscape. But, if approval is the price for a truly transformational clean energy policy, I’m in. You’re not going to move the vested interests without a trade, but it has to be a smart trade.

This is a grand bargain on energy that would advance our growth, national security and climate policy. If paired with similar efforts by our NATO allies, it would, in time, sharply reduce Putin’s ability to blackmail his neighbors, using energy. It would also protect Americans from price shocks, as both the sun and the wind are free, make our farmers, our coastal cities and our public health system much more resilient and tilt our energy policy toward exploiting our advantage — technology — rather than oil.

Nader Mousavizadeh, the co-founder of Macro Advisory Partners, recently recalled for me what a U.S. energy company executive once told him: “The one thing we’re never going to run out of is technology.” We need to play to our strength.

I would hate to see Obama spend the next two and a half years just counting healthcare.gov sign-ups. He needs to recognize that Putin’s Crimea adventure has created the opportunity for a legacy project of moving America into a clean energy future — a move that would make us stronger, Putin weaker and the world safer.

nytimes
Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe. H. G. Wells.
Fatih Birol's motto: leave oil before it leaves us.
Graeme
Fusion
Fusion

Re: From Putin, a Blessing in Disguise

Unread postby Plantagenet » Wed 19 Mar 2014, 20:19:19

Graeme wrote:Here’s the deal Obama should offer oil-patch Republicans and Democrats. “You really want to open up the country to the exploration of natural gas? You really want to be free to export oil and gas to global markets — so long as it’s consistent with our national interests — and affect global markets in ways that could weaken Putinism? You really want the Keystone pipeline? Fine, I’ll give you all of it. And in return you’ll give me a bridge to a secure, clean-energy future for America.”

Its a nice idea, but making deals isn't Obama's forte.

Maybe Hillary could make this deal when she gets elected in 2016, but given Obama's past track record its more likely that he'll pick the winner of the NCAA March Madness basketball tourney then that he'll do the hard work of putting together a deal on US energy policy.

Obama is already basically a lame duck----just hope nothing else goes wrong before Hillary gets elected in 2016.

Obama schedules in time to watch ESPN SPORTSCENTER every day. It really pays off when its time for him to make the big decisions on his NCAA Presidential bracket. This year Obama predicts MICHIGAN STATE is going to win the big dance. SisBOOM Booooo-YAH!
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Graeme » Wed 19 Mar 2014, 20:35:28

If he approves KXL construction, then I'll agree with you - he's a lame duck. This will be a major policy decision and set the stage especially for climate policy for the rest of his term. Is he going to continue to support fossil fuels or renewable energy? His "all-of-the-above" policy is not working for the vast majority of the world's population. It's time to choose one over the other and not both.
Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe. H. G. Wells.
Graeme
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Lore » Wed 19 Mar 2014, 21:02:54

I will be shocked...shocked I tell you. If he does not advocate for the KXL pipeline.
The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life.
... Theodore Roosevelt
Lore
Fission
Fission

Unread postby Graeme » Wed 19 Mar 2014, 21:29:45

I didn't want this thread to be about KXL; more to do with a Manhattan-style renewable policy from the Obama administration. The Sunshot initiative is closest to this. However, he has to make a decision re-KXL that is in the best interests of the American people and for that matter the planet. Approving it is not in our best interest. I've just found this survey. Hopefully, his decision will be influenced by educated Democrats.

Democrats Split Over Keystone XL Pipeline: Pew Research Center

Democrats are divided over whether to support the Keystone XL pipeline, according to a Pew Research survey released Wednesday.

The national survey, conducted Feb. 27- March 16 among more than 3,300 adults, found that about half of Democrats favor building the pipeline (49 percent), and 38 percent oppose the pipeline.

Since the State Department concluded in a review early this year that the extension on the pipeline stretching from Canada to Texas would not significantly impact the environment, Keystone supporters have pressed President Obama to approve the project. Obama has said he must consult other agencies before making a decision, a move many have speculated is meant to give Democrats time to rally and unite voters before midterm elections in November.

ibtimes
Graeme
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby ROCKMAN » Wed 19 Mar 2014, 22:29:16

Graeme - To get back to original point about the potential or the US punish Putin by destroying his NG exports let me lay out the simple reality again:

2013 US NG production: 24,279,569 million cubic feet
2013 US NG consumption: 26,034,354 million cubic feet
2013 US NG exports: 1,572,351 million cubic feet
2013 US NG imports: 2,883,115 million cubic feet
2013 US LNG imports: 96,589 million cubic feet
2013 US LNG exports: minimal

And I should add the EU NG consumption figure to put it all into the proper perspective: 18,700,000 million cubic feet per year. So supplying the EU with just half its NG consumption the US would have to export 38% of its NG production. Of course, that ignores the fact that the US currently can’t meet its current demand for NG by our own production: we had to import 1,754,785 million cubic feet in 2013 to meet domestic demand. IOW it’s rather ridiculous for a country that is a net importer of NG to think they can become an exporter that will hurt the market for Russian NG. Again, it ain’t rocket science: despite all the foolish hype about how much NG we’re getting from the shale: according to the EIA we are only producing 93% of our domestic NG demand. All I can assume is that the folks talking about such potential to punish Russia by flooding the market with US NG is that they haven’t even looked at the numbers because even a 12 yo can tell that 26,034,354 is a larger number than 24,279,569.
ROCKMAN
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Graeme » Wed 19 Mar 2014, 23:00:32

R, Thanks for not talking about KXL. Yes I've seen various reports about using US natural gas as a "weapon". Here's one. And this one by Resilience.org.

“The Oil and Gas Weapon Won’t Work”: Davis & Leggett on Ukraine

Lt. Col. Daniel Davis & Jeremy Leggett in The National Interest: “After many weeks of political chaos and bloodshed in Kiev, Moscow sent soldiers across the frontier into the Crimea on February 27, claiming it aimed to protect the Russian-speaking population.” “Writing in the Washington Post on March 7, former US Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice captured the essence of many in the US who advocate using oil as a weapon against Russia. She wrote that “soon, North America’s bounty of oil and gas will swamp Moscow’s capacity. Authorizing the Keystone XL pipeline and championing natural gas exports would signal that we intend to do precisely that.” Secretary Rice’s assumptions regarding the state of US tight oil and gas as “bountiful” are common among many opinion leaders in the West. They also happen to be wrong.

Before contemplating the use of US oil and gas as a strategic weapon, it might be useful to review a few key fundamentals. First, consider the following oil production, consumption and import/export numbers reported by British Petroleum for 2012. Russia produced 10.6 million barrels per day (mbd), consumed 3.2 mbd, leaving 7.4 mbd available for export. The United States produced 8.9 mbd, consumed 18.5 mbd, and imported 10.5 mbd.

All the talk of America “soon overtaking Russia” as the world’s largest oil producer comes with a rather sizeable asterisk: even if that eventually occurs, the US will still be required to import an additional five to six million barrels of oil per day, while Russia would have an additional 7 to 8 mbd to export. This fact places the Russian Federation in a considerably stronger energy-security position than the United States.

Exporting oil and gas now would undoubtedly give oil companies a huge spike in profits, but then in just a few years when the US need for imports will grow, the cost per barrel will likely be much higher than it is now, and that cost will be borne not by the richer oil companies but primarily by middle- and lower-class Americans. The situation in the Crimea is serious and deserves to be dealt with in a responsible manner. But in the emotion of the moment we must avoid making decisions that may not accomplish our international objectives while perversely causing harm to the citizens of the United States.”

So now we're back to Friedman's original premise in op. Thanks.
Graeme
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby ralfy » Wed 19 Mar 2014, 23:23:15

The catch consists of incredible levels of military spending and wars needed to justify that.
ralfy
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Graeme » Wed 19 Mar 2014, 23:34:47

Security issues are important especially highlighted recently but energy policy is paramount. We don't want any more wars but we prefer to have a planet that is comfortable to live on.
Graeme
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby ROCKMAN » Thu 20 Mar 2014, 08:11:18

Graeme - You're welcome. I'm just as willing to knock those fools that offer KXL as some sort of great advancement in US security/economic benefit. BS is BS regardless of which side of the political spectrum it's coming from.
ROCKMAN
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Paulo1 » Thu 20 Mar 2014, 09:05:16

For the last 13 days CNN has been reporting 24/7 on a missing plane, tragic, but of consequence only to the missing passengers and crews family and friends. Nary a word on Ukraine, for the most part. BBC is a bit better. I'm thinking the US bluster is really no more than face saving, plus no one believes them anymore.

Now, there is palpable sarcasm directed towards Obama, calling him an 'underwear model' or worse. Congressional leaders are publicly hated and this is expressed continually. The crisis is so great...no one seems prepared to return to Washington from their 1 week holiday.

This is supposed to start a Cold War? An arms race? I think the west will collapse in economic rot before that happens. Meanwhile, Israel is making plans to bomb Iran. As a ex-bush pilot with many friends still in the business, missing aircraft is nothing new in our lives. Stolen ones, yes...stolen jumbo jets, for sure. Nevertheless, it shouldn't eclipse the take over of Crimea or distract from the economic, energy, and climate realities of the day. It also shouldn't continue to distract us from the truth. They are playing the general population for chumps...they being the punks in power.

Paulo
Paulo1
Coal
Coal

Unread postby ROCKMAN » Thu 20 Mar 2014, 09:47:51

Paolo - I wish I could disagree with your tone but sadly I can't. I wonder how many folks, glued to their TV's helping to look for that 777, even know Israel aircraft just attacked and killed some of the Syrian military. Hmm...I guess not really important. Syria is so 2013 and thus not very important these days. Not very news worthy even though civilians are still being slaughtered.
ROCKMAN
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Graeme » Thu 20 Mar 2014, 17:10:40

Thought was article is very appropriate to this thread.

Will the US Choose the Right Road to a New Energy Future?

The United States is currently facing a very unique situation — the first of its kind — as we decide how to upgrade and expand our energy infrastructure. Many are afraid that investing in a new energy system is too expensive and would cost trillions of dollars. The truth is that the investment choices we make today will determine whether we build a resilient, reliable energy system. What we need is a modern system that will maximize economic benefits, put the consumer in control, and utilize innovation and technology all while attaining steep reductions in greenhouse gas emissions.

For example, in 2001, governors and premiers set regional emission reduction targets for the New England states and the Eastern Canadian provinces. Eight northeastern states subsequently adopted emission reduction targets, either through state law, statute, or voluntary goals. These goals, based on widely accepted science, call for reductions around 80 percent by 2050.

As complicated — and expensive — as it may sound to hit that mark, a clean, affordable energy future is within reach. If we leverage new and emerging clean energy technologies, U.S. consumers can start to enjoy a customer-centered, cost-effective, safe and secure energy system within the next decade.

To pave the path and achieve these goals, we need to change the way we think about our energy system. Our existing energy system operates in outdated ways giving us less control and inadequate protection from the risks of climate change. Because of this, all states have to spend billions of dollars on traditional infrastructure — electric lines, natural gas pipelines, distribution expansions, etc.

The new path toward sustainable clean energy & climate improvement is centered on consumers, homes and businesses. The idea is to give consumers the power to:

Generate electricity from clean, renewable sources
Connect to clean, local or on-site electricity supplies (rooftop solar panels, community wind turbines, etc)
Plug in our cars and heaters

Use more efficient appliances and smart controls at homes and businesses
How do we begin to find our sustainability path? It can be found. For instance, the cost of solar energy fell by 60 percent between 2010 and 2012, and recent studies in Massachusetts for example show that there is huge potential to expand solar PV installation in the state. If we opt to plug in our cars, we’ll save about 10 cents per mile and cutting emissions by more than half.

renewableenergyworld
Graeme
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby steam_cannon » Fri 21 Mar 2014, 17:11:29

Graeme wrote:From Putin, a Blessing in Disguise

There are a lot of people who seem intent on restarting the Cold War — in both Moscow and Washington. I am not one of them. But if we’re going to have a new Cold War, then I have one condition: I want a new moonshot.

I agree, I want a moonshot too!

Back To the Moon — In Four Years

Space X - Falcon Heavy

Mining the Moon for Helium-3
"The multiplication force of technology on cognitive differences is massive." -Jordan Peterson
steam_cannon
Expert
Expert

Return to Geopolitics & Global Economics