Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Hello Pt 7

Say hello, learn how to register, read the rules, get staff announcements.

Hello everyone

Unread postby Jimmods » Tue 11 Mar 2014, 13:15:09

Hello forum members i am new here and wanted to say hi to everyone I hope I can gain some useful knowledge and possibly be helpful to others.
Jimmods
Wood
Wood

Re: Hello everyone

Unread postby Subjectivist » Tue 11 Mar 2014, 13:48:49

Welcome to our corner of the world wide web! Pull up a browser and explore, there is a decade of ideas here that have been growing and evolving the whole time so look, and ask, and argue. Pretty soon you will find your understanding of the fundamentals sound and your debating skills going up.
II Chronicles 7:14 if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.
Subjectivist
Volunteer
Volunteer

Hello Peakoil, greetings from Sweden!

Unread postby TheVirus » Tue 11 Mar 2014, 16:19:45

Hello everyone!

I'm a University mathematics student from the 28% oil powered country of Sweden and have been interested in energy and environmental issues for the last couple of years.

I have been using this site for a few years mostly for the enormous amount of interesting information that is available here. I have decided to register and to become a part of the forum to learn more and hopefully to contribute to this forum myself. If you ever have any questions about energy in my corner of the world I will do my best to answer them!

Have a nice day!

/TheVirus
TheVirus
Wood
Wood

Re: Hello Peakoil, greetings from Sweden!

Unread postby Pops » Tue 11 Mar 2014, 18:08:11

Hi TV, welcome!
The legitimate object of government, is to do for a community of people, whatever they need to have done, but can not do, at all, or can not, so well do, for themselves -- in their separate, and individual capacities.
-- Abraham Lincoln, Fragment on Government (July 1, 1854)
Pops
Elite
Elite

Re: Hello everyone

Unread postby Pops » Tue 11 Mar 2014, 18:08:44

Hello Jim, welcome.
The legitimate object of government, is to do for a community of people, whatever they need to have done, but can not do, at all, or can not, so well do, for themselves -- in their separate, and individual capacities.
Pops
Elite
Elite

Hello~quick question

Unread postby P A U L » Fri 21 Mar 2014, 19:36:03

hi fellas,

just had a quick question. most of my work takes place in the gulf of mexico and so i have a RigPass and HUET to go offshore. i may be going offshore in the north sea and i was wondering if HUET/RigPass is accepted on the boats out there. i've heard that BOSIET is all i need, but wanted confirmation from people that actually work in the north sea.

thanks!
P A U L
Wood
Wood

Re: Hello~quick question

Unread postby ROCKMAN » Sat 22 Mar 2014, 00:29:02

Paul - I don't believe you'll need HUET working in the N Sea since you have zero chance of surviving a chopper crash out there. LOL. Just a bit of dark humor from one hand to another folks. I don't know the answer but good luck amigo and watch out for those Scottish women. Heard they are tougher than our S La cher's.

If you don't get an answer here drop an email to Ralph Steen with Stag in the UK. I worked thru them when I did my offshore Africa hitches. He's at [email protected]. Tell him BJ in Houston says hi.
ROCKMAN
Expert
Expert

Unread postby P A U L » Thu 27 Mar 2014, 19:04:59

thanks rockman!

since there are no other replies i'll give mr steen a shout.

cheers
P A U L
Wood
Wood

Unread postby Newfie » Thu 27 Mar 2014, 21:17:33

If that doesn't work you can try cruisers forum dot com. There are a few oil rig guys there and an international crowd.

Good luck.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby ROCKMAN » Thu 27 Mar 2014, 22:09:04

Paul - Are you working contract thru someone? Geo or eng? I was very pleased the way Stag handled my contracts in Africa. Good luck and watch out for those tail rotors, amigo.
ROCKMAN
Expert
Expert

Unread postby P A U L » Fri 28 Mar 2014, 13:56:23

got a response from Steen. confirmed BOSIET is required in the UK. thanks rockman!

i am a contractor, but neither geo or eng really. just visual inspections, and all my work takes place on boats. only been on a rig once to be basket carried to a boat :p that was fun.

thanks for the input also newfie!
P A U L
Wood
Wood

Unread postby ROCKMAN » Fri 28 Mar 2014, 21:27:36

Paul - Working boats in the N Sea...you're a tough one for sure. Or about to get real tough. LOL. A calm day in the NS can be worse than a rough day in the GOM...so I've heard.
ROCKMAN
Expert
Expert

Hullo from urban Seattle

Unread postby RobinJane » Sat 05 Apr 2014, 21:15:08

Greetings to my fellow PO-ers!

I'm a 47-year-old woman from Seattle WA. I stumbled upon Michael C Ruppert and the Peak Oil concept recently via Vice News' update story. Then I had to order the movie Collapse from my library, and now I have just picked up his books, too (also from the library).

It's been such a relief to learn about PO... Not because I'm happy to learn about the coming collapse, but because it's the only way things make sense!! Before knowing about PO, I was always scratching my head, wondering why nothing seems to make any sense any more. I thought maybe it was just me getting older, but nope! There is a real reason for it!!

Anyway... there's not a lot I can do from where I am, but I'll do what I can and keep my eyes open.

Nice to be here!
RJ
RobinJane
Wood
Wood

Re: Hullo from urban Seattle

Unread postby ROCKMAN » Sat 05 Apr 2014, 21:46:51

Welcome RJ. It will be good to have some more local eyes on the NW coast. As the potential for more oil sands and LNG exports from your part of the world increases we'll look forward to your inputs.
ROCKMAN
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Pops » Sun 06 Apr 2014, 08:34:19

Hi, RJ.
Just looked at Gas Bubby for Seattle, $3.75/gal for unleaded, triple the price of a decade ago. But if you were to google "US Oil" to find out what's going on, you'd see nothing but story after story about the US oil glut, it looks like an oil-stock-fluffers' PR archive!

No wonder you were confused. LOL

Don't get the idea that we know any more about it, tho, we're just stumbling along too, it's just that unlike everyone else, we know that we don't know what we don't know.
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby ROCKMAN » Sun 06 Apr 2014, 08:58:24

RJ - As Pop says you've come to the right place. And if you're a romantic at heart you might want to create a vision of all of us here as the band playing on the deck of the HMS Titanic as she went down. We are an heroic lot as we stoically watch ourselves slowly get flushed down Mother Earth's energy toilet. LOL. You'll be less confused. But not any happier in all likelihood. As I've mentioned long ago I belonged to a small tribe that tried to instill the belief that we shouldn't desire to live forever. Doing so might get in the way of doing our duty. A good philosophy IMHO but difficult to follow when the sh*t hits the fan. LOL.
ROCKMAN
Expert
Expert

Re: Cheers from Cascadia

Unread postby ROCKMAN » Thu 15 May 2014, 17:42:42

Welcome Big G. I've decided the format here is more efficient then what we had at TOD but did take a little time to get used to it.

Don't know exactly where you fit in the transport grid but I suspect you'll be seeing a lot more coal and oil transiting your region. Can't do much about the noise but hopefully they'll beef up those tank cars. The potential big game changer for folks out there would be very big increase in coastal tanker traffic if those new pipelines are built and the exiting ones are upgraded.
ROCKMAN
Expert
Expert

Hi from Mississauga Ont

Unread postby Sitting Bull » Sat 17 May 2014, 11:44:00

Hi, Sitting Bull here from Mississauga, just west of Toronto. I just joined yesterday after finding this site completely by accident, and am enjoying reading the posts. I'm interested in the study of international relations, but in order to have a grasp on modern day geopolitics one must have some knowledge of the oil and gas industry and how that translates into national power.
I look forward to having some great discussions here and learning from those in the know about the industry. Thanks for having me and all the best!
Sitting Bull
Wood
Wood

Re: Hi from Mississauga Ont

Unread postby ROCKMAN » Sat 17 May 2014, 13:39:11

SB - I'll second pstarr's comment. But you have no worries: Canadians are so nice no one would give you any troubles. That and billions of bbls of oil sands production makes you our very bestest friend for life. Of at least until you begin shipping it to China. But that will be OK...we're already working on the design of a 51 star flag. Or maybe we'll just swap you for Maine and save the money for new flags for both of us.
ROCKMAN
Expert
Expert

Welcome me from Kitchener Ontario

Unread postby DesuMaiden » Mon 06 Oct 2014, 21:11:17

I'm from Kitchener Ontario. I recently learned about Peak Oil. I'm very interested in the subject, because there is simply so much to learn about it. I want to acquire as much knowledge on peak oil as possible. That's because I want to survive when the oil supply starts to decline after peak.

I know peak oil is a very historically significant event. It means our oil production is at its maximum capacity. We simply can't produce anymore oil than we are currently producing.

I'm basically looking for advice on how to survive in a post-oil world. I know it will be difficult, but I think I will survive.
History repeats itself. Just everytime with different characters and players.
DesuMaiden
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

PreviousNext

Return to Welcome