Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Hello Pt 7

Say hello, learn how to register, read the rules, get staff announcements.

Re: Hello

Unread postby Rune » Tue 29 Oct 2013, 18:42:17

Peak oil was a scary story about 15 years ago.

The Party's Over now though. But there are still plenty of things to be scared about so welcome.
It takes courage to watch a film so well-done as September 11 - The New Pearl Harbor. You will never be the same. It is a new release. Five hours. Watch it on YouTube for free.
Rune
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Re: Hello

Unread postby ralfy » Wed 30 Oct 2013, 04:02:16

The party was over almost four decades ago:

http://cassandralegacy.blogspot.com/201 ... k-oil.html

The global population is starting to realize this only because of growing demand:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-22956470
ralfy
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

just to introduce myself

Unread postby onlooker » Sun 10 Nov 2013, 15:05:29

Hi everyone:
I am from the US. I have over the last 5 years informed myself about various subjects which some refer to as "doom", though i prefer to think of as stark reality. I am here to read and also post in an engaging and mutually informative manner. I am enthusiastic as I consider this a worthwhile site and forum to read the viewpoints of others. Glad to be here. :)
"We are mortal beings doomed to die
onlooker
Fission
Fission

Re: just to introduce myself

Unread postby ROCKMAN » Sun 10 Nov 2013, 15:49:12

"...stark reality..." I like that. An expression older than many of the folks on the site. I still occasional drop "ice box" myself. A little background from you would help to know what stereotype box to drop you in. LOL. We got all types here and we need to know which of our various fringe groups you'll be assigned to.

WELCOME!
ROCKMAN
Expert
Expert

Re: just to introduce myself

Unread postby onlooker » Sun 10 Nov 2013, 15:57:27

Well, thanks for the welcome Rockman, well you can assign me to the concerned human group , now I do not know if that is a fringe group 8), but I would say that is my group.
"We are mortal beings doomed to die
onlooker
Fission
Fission

My lonely walk into the future

Unread postby lasseter » Sun 12 Jan 2014, 07:45:03

As I sit here typing this tonight, I find myself alone again. A partner that had shared my life for 7 years has moved on and the home is empty. Another forum in another place, where I had tried to discuss the matters central to my existance has rejected me too. They didn't want to hear my doom and gloom as they put it. And I have separated from them as I separated from the girlfriend who believed as they believe. That's ok, I have a tough skin now. You have to develop one if you want to go against what 99.9% of what the population choose to believe.

My life changed forever in 2004. That was when I left the 99.9 I was trolling the internet and I landed on the wrong site, as you sometimes do. It was dieoff.org, and there I read for the first time the reality of where we were heading as a species. I read and read, day after day, consuming the data and the archived explanations of how our amazing techno world had been constructed on the coat tails of a century of cheap abundant oil. My amazement though quickly turned to fear as I learnt the consequences of what we had done. Fear then led to action, I had to be prepared for this, I had to find a path to future security.

Our instinct for security grows as we I age I found, just as our instinct for sex deminishes. I found the financial-sense website where they had multiple podcasts on peakoil, there I learnt more, and about money, the folly of the stockmarket, and about gold and silver. It became very obvious then what I needed to do. I began to save and pour money into secure assets, I began to plan to live away from the city, to become self sufficient.

As time passed I watched as the housing meltdown across the globe unfolded, just as I had read it would. I watched as the stock markets collapsed, saw the great recession grip the world, just as predicted. All the while I saved and planned and stored. Nothing had changed for me and in fact my finances got better, but the 99.9% took big hits, saw their future retirement plans devastated.

Years have passed since then and it seems that they have forgotton, at least around where I live in Australia. But I haven't forgotton, I see in the future what we experienced in the past, and no doubt many here see the same. So I am alone still, an outsider in a nation of hopefulls who don't want to hear a message of future doom. They want to believe in collective recovery instead, cheaper petrol, bigger retirement accounts. They want the future to unfold replete with highways full of electric cars and fields full of solar arrays. I would love to see that as well but I can't delude myself that it is even remotely possible now.

I have listened to too many political lies, corporate lies, and media lies and I no longer believe any of their hopeful prognostications. I trust only myself now, what my own eyes an ears tell me. There is little need to learn anymore either, I already know enough. All I lack is the understanding of how best to apply the knowledge to my own life, to ensure my future is secure.

This is a good forum btw, good natured people, and good moderation. Perhaps I'll find a home here where I can settle in. Thank you all for making the site possible.
Friends, good long lasting friends, these are worth more than gold
lasseter
Peat
Peat

Re: My lonely walk into the future

Unread postby Ibon » Sun 12 Jan 2014, 08:09:19

lasseter wrote:As I sit here typing this tonight, I find myself alone again.

You are lucky to have this opportunity. It is a portal toward deeper humility. You come out on the other side less cynical and more compassionate toward your planet and fellow human.
Patiently awaiting the pathogens. Our resiliency resembles an invasive weed. We are the Kudzu Ape
blog: http://blog.mounttotumas.com/
Ibon
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Subjectivist » Sun 12 Jan 2014, 08:53:38

I have been divorced, and married, and I certainly hav been lonely, but I do not walk this Earth alone.
II Chronicles 7:14 if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.
Subjectivist
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby Pops » Sun 12 Jan 2014, 09:20:10

Hello Lasseter,

DieOff - Jay Hansen also crystallized my vision (here is a snapshot from the wayback machine). I came to it in researching the causes of 9/11 (bin laden - not shadow.gov) and it fit right into my acceptance of "Limits" and the population growth problem "popularized" when I was a kid in the '60's & '70's. I'd been able to ignore all that and make payments on the American Dream for 20 years but by the time of 9/11 and certainly after the gov's reaction to it, I became more and more anxious and finally convinced my dear wife to make a move.

So 10 years ago we moved from the vicinity of masses of people on the US West Coast to the center of the country. The trade was one of earning less than in the population grinder out west but because of a lower cost of living, much less need, to earn so potentially more independence.

We've been very successful in earning less, LOL. But seriously it has been exactly what we planned, I earn a fraction of my previous income but have no debt and spend only a small amount of my time in "billable" work. We are much more resilient than I could ever have been living relatively close to some of the highest cost of living areas in the country.

Then 5 years ago I developed type I diabetes, which is not a big deal at 51 with modern drugs but does tend to put a damper on most survivalist fantasies, LOL. Don't get me wrong, I never went in for the running-gun-battles-with-starving-suburbanite-moms, race war, collapse of government variety of survival; more the permanent shrinking economy, asset erosion, stagflation type of financial survival.

So now, a dozen years later I find myself much more sanguine about the world and it's direction even though decline actually looks more real and imminent than ever.

I sympathize with your loneliness, I would miss my wife terribly (although I get along fine without most other folks, LOL). My loving wife however does become lonely down on the farm, even with my scintillating companionship, amazingly enough. And that has prompted us lately to begin rethinking our situation. I own what is for me the perfect homestead and I could never reproduce in the west if I were to lose my senses and decide to return and (I'd have a hard time replicating it here for that matter). But we're going to make some type of move soon I believe.

So yeah, things change and I've always worried about getting caught out. But I need to remember that if all I do is keep my ear to the ground, eye on the horizon, nose to the grindstone and finger in the wind, I'll be in no position to smell the roses.

Good luck and welcome.
The legitimate object of government, is to do for a community of people, whatever they need to have done, but can not do, at all, or can not, so well do, for themselves -- in their separate, and individual capacities.
-- Abraham Lincoln, Fragment on Government (July 1, 1854)
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby SeaGypsy » Sun 12 Jan 2014, 09:34:20

Nice blurb Lasseter. Got some connection to the center?- I grew up in Alice, so the Lasseter's reef legend is part of my heritage. 7 year itch hey- I had one of those 7 years ago. Had a partner, step kids, a lot of things on the surface in common but some big fundamental flaws. Since then got married to someone who almost couldn't be more different on the surface, but with sound fundamentals. We live and learn.

There are a few of us here who use our own lives as fodder for our work here in sometimes intimate style, others choose to hold very dearly to anonymity not just in name but in steering completely away from the personal. After the number of years and numbers of posts by long term posters- I find the lack of personality in some posters writing restricts the quality and enjoyability of their work.

Good old dieoff.org hey! Join the club- pretty sure we are all well familiar here. A great one to refer the excessively cornucopian who show up from time to time. I guess you are familiar with the application of Kubler-Ross 5 stages of grief in application to peak oil, peak everything and the rest of the emerging and building calamity?- Where would you rate yourself at present I wonder? (your post suggests quite a mature perspective to my view)
SeaGypsy
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Unread postby Ibon » Sun 12 Jan 2014, 12:12:06

Pops wrote: My loving wife however does become lonely down on the farm, even with my scintillating companionship, amazingly enough. And that has prompted us lately to begin rethinking our situation. I own what is for me the perfect homestead and I could never reproduce in the west if I were to lose my senses and decide to return and (I'd have a hard time replicating it here for that matter). But we're going to make some type of move soon I believe.

Well Pops, my wife and I were sitting here in our cabin today at Mount Totumas and I read her your post. Tears came to her eyes. And she said, "See, I am not the only one! "

Our situation is a little different. We are in an even more rural area than you and bordering a huge 1.5 million acre national park to the north and west of us. Wind howls and so do the howler monkeys. The cloud forest, draped with epiphytes and often shrouded in mist, is dark and evokes a mystery that together with the immensity of the place can at times feel intimidating. Just 2km from the continental divide, and the Pacific Ocean and Atlantic oceans each only about 40 miles away, the weather is a constant shifting from vertical tropical rains, mist to the clash of the titans as weather systems collide from both oceans. It is beautiful beyond compare, but truly out on the edge.

It is the pulse of guests that provide us with social contact, but like migratory birds they come and stay a few days and leave. Our employees are also an important part of our social lives, but for my wife, she feels an absence of intimate female friendships, our daughters are away in big cities, and there is no real village or shops for her to go to in order to have a break now and then.

Like you I have found the perfect homestead. But I am not sure what the intermediate future brings because in the end I am not sure my wife can handle this longer term. If either of my daughters has a child (If you read the OP on advising millenials you know I am advising them not to) I fear my wife will be on the next plane to be with them. In the end this might be the solution, that she divides her time between here and with our daughters.

Anyway, thanks for your post, my wife felt a digital sisterhood with your wife...... let her know that....
Patiently awaiting the pathogens. Our resiliency resembles an invasive weed. We are the Kudzu Ape
Ibon
Expert
Expert

Unread postby ROCKMAN » Sun 12 Jan 2014, 13:43:34

L - Touching that you should share such personal thoughts. Unfortunately, depending on your age, you may not be as alone in the future. When the folks around you run headlong into that truly painful energy wall ahead of them you may find more company to share the pain. Denial is a powerful drug. And I don't necessarily condemn folks for using it to claim some piece of mind. You don't want to start each day contemplating your future death. OTOH you can't ignore the future either and expect to have a problem free existence. A while back I mentioned a philosophy some mentors in my misspent youth tried to drum into me: Don't be one of those folks who want to live forever. Some here didn't understand the point. If you focus too much on not dying you won't accomplish your mission. OTOH if you f*ck up and get wasted you won't get the job done either.

And thus the challenge: balance. No...you can't go running thru life with your eyes closed. But you can't curl up into a fetal position in the bottom of a hole either. We all have an expiration date. Might come later than we expect...sometimes sooner. None of us can escape the future whether we correctly see what's coming or if we ignore it. But the difficulty arises between folks when it comes to preparing for the future one anticipates. And IMHO it doesn't matter in our current lives which future actually develops in: we live in the now...not the future. By the time the poof of your expectations are proven correct or not it won't matter. All any of us have is the satisfaction of believing we're on the right path. By the time you get to the end of the path it will be too late to make a course correction.

If you are satisfied where you are today then good for you. But is your life close to perfection? If you're like the vast majority of us then it isn't. Personally I don't live my life with expectations that it will ever be perfect. Nor that I'll live forever. Something else those mentors tried to teach me: when you find yourself in the sh*t just keep your mouth shut. That way you won't swallow so much. LOL. IOW I also live in a world of nonbelievers be it PO or climate change. Seldom do I try to point out their misconceptions. For the same reason I don't try to teach pigs to roller-skate: it would just frustrate me and piss off the pigs. So me and the pigs get along OK.
ROCKMAN
Expert
Expert

Unread postby lasseter » Sun 12 Jan 2014, 16:01:51

SeaGypsy wrote:Nice blurb Lasseter. Got some connection to the center?- I grew up in Alice,

Good old dieoff.org hey! Join the club- pretty sure we are all well familiar here. A great one to refer the excessively cornucopian who show up from time to time.

I guess you are familiar with the application of Kubler-Ross 5 stages of grief in application to peak oil, (your post suggests quite a mature perspective to my view)

No, the username just popped into my head SG, I'm near brisane and 53 years old now. Yes 10 years of awareness about peakoil and the end of western consumer civilization is long enough to go through the grief stages, in fact it's long enough to wonder why you bothered preparing at all in fact. I know of a few that were on the aussurvivalist forum who went back to normal life, debt, city jobs etc, because they got sick of waiting for the "collapse"

I hope it takes as long as possible myself. I do have one good friend who believes as we do, unfortunately he makes no preparations so he is more just a spectator than a player. I have a few other friends but none who share my future thoughts, that's what makes the going forward lonely. The EX believed for a while but like many partners I think she was just going along because the relationship was new and wanted to fit in, to share my life. But a few years down the track I was asked to stop talking gloom and doom as we once did.

Don't get me wrong, I don't obsess about it, but to me you do need to keep a weather eye out for events. I remember the night of the Brisbane floods in 2011' I had predicted them for some years as they always come no matter what new "permanent solution" the government claims it has taken. I woke her up at 1am and we drove down to the river, diverted here and there by creeks that had already broke their banks and flooded major roads. It was weird to see all the houses in darkness, new cars still in the driveways as the water crept up the streets to consume the homes.

I wondered why the police and emergency services were not driving around with their sirens on, warning people to get out. I suppose they didn't care, or didn't want a panic? Just leave it till the morning and then we can have a press conference. I had warned 2 lots of people down there about an impending flood, one lot were renters and could have left anytime. I had been warning them for at least 2 years. They didn't seem to care, figured they would take action when it occured. Well they did. They lost a lot of gear (no insurance) and the owner couple saw their house value cut in half. It may never come back. Then there was the weeks of cleaning up, the months of living in a house that smelt like sewage.

This is what concerns me most, the fact that no one cares about anything important, all they care about is their daily lives and the persuit of money or pleasure. Anyway I will get past all this and move on as before. I would just be nice to live among people who look to the future and have a plan as well, a plan that does not hinge on house prices doubling every ten years.

Well off to work now to make some money and get some exercise. Have a good one SG. I'll pop back this arvo and comment on some of the other posts to my gloomy topic :)
Better out than in hey.
Bill.
lasseter
Peat
Peat

Unread postby Pops » Sun 12 Jan 2014, 17:26:38

Ibon wrote: . . .If either of my daughters has a child (If you read the OP on advising millenials you know I am advising them not to) I fear my wife will be on the next plane to be with them. In the end this might be the solution, that she divides her time between here and with our daughters.

Anyway, thanks for your post, my wife felt a digital sisterhood with your wife...... let her know that....

First great grandson, Connor, born 1/5/14; 1,500 miles away from Gram (who doesn't fly alone)

The legitimate object of government, is to do for a community of people, whatever they need to have done, but can not do, at all, or can not, so well do, for themselves -- in their separate, and individual capacities.
-- Abraham Lincoln, Fragment on Government (July 1, 1854)
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby SeaGypsy » Sun 12 Jan 2014, 18:37:28

Congrats Pops! :)
My little punk girls about a year ago.
(7 years ago if I was asked- no way would I have more kids, having a son in a broken family already, having been burned too many times)
SeaGypsy
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Unread postby Ibon » Sun 12 Jan 2014, 19:00:23

Congratulations Pops, hopefully your grandchild arrives at your doorstep soon.
Hmmm, now I understand better your last post. Nobody wants to be 1500 miles away from their grandchild especially if you are in a rural area. Good luck in finding a compromise. There is one if you don't mind spending some time alone.
Ibon
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Scrub Puller » Sun 12 Jan 2014, 19:12:32

Yair . . . Truly moving. This is quite an amazing website to evoke such emotion.

Cheers.
Scrub Puller
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby lasseter » Mon 13 Jan 2014, 02:15:13

Pops wrote:
So 10 years ago we moved from the vicinity of masses of people on the US West Coast to the center of the country. The trade was one of earning less than in the population grinder out west but because of a lower cost of living, much less need, to earn so potentially more independence.

Then 5 years ago I developed type I diabetes, which is not a big deal at 51 with modern drugs
So now, a dozen years later I find myself much more sanguine about the world and it's direction even though decline actually looks more real and imminent than ever. ..

I sympathize with your loneliness, I would miss my wife terribly (although I get along fine without most other folks, LOL). ..
So yeah, things change and I've always worried about getting caught out. But I need to remember that if all I do is keep my ear to the ground, eye on the horizon, nose to the grindstone and finger in the wind, I'll be in no position to smell the roses.

Good luck and welcome.

Thanks pops, looks like you have been through more of a mill than me lol. I think I may have misnamed the thread, I'm a selfsufficient type and am rarely lonely, I am a tad now the GF has moved but my thoughts above were more about the fact that it can be very hard finding like minded people, especially in the city. The old days of getting together with mates for BBQ's are long gone for me. I just can't stomach all the shallow conversation. I do have a few good hobbies and these allow me to smell the roses as you put it but I do keep close to the serious developments in the world rather than the cricket scores and lady gaga's exploits.

Anyway I'll have a mosey around the rest of the forum now and see what is being discussed. Catch ya round.
Frank.
lasseter
Peat
Peat

Unread postby mburrow » Tue 21 Jan 2014, 18:27:28

You should not break yourself due the pettiness or attitude of a former spouse, lover or friend. It is abundantly clear that alone is all we are - even in the presence of others. So chin up and eyes open for there are plenty of fish upon which to dine...

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid. - Al Einstein
mburrow
Wood
Wood

Unread postby sparky » Wed 22 Jan 2014, 05:14:33

For the non Aussie, the Lasseter reef is about this old prospector
who came from the nowhere ( pretty much most of the outback ) with gold bearing rocks
claiming he had found this incredible reef ( hard rock gold seam )
he got a bit of cash went back out there and never came out again
looking for Lasseter reef became a bit of a treasure hunt and a great legend to yarn about
while sinking a few cold ones .

Cheer up mate ,life is a loosing battle , just enjoy the view while you are here
and remember the bushy eternal word of wisdom ,
" women are a weird cattle " :? :?
sparky
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

PreviousNext

Return to Welcome