Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Blackfish

A forum to either submit your own review of a book, video or audio interview, or to post reviews by others.

Blackfish

Unread postby dinopello » Mon 16 Dec 2013, 14:36:27

This documentaryis now streaming on Netflix, and I watched last night so I thought I'd post.

Basically, the story of a male Orca Whale, Tilikum, that was captured in 1983 and sent to Seaworld to perform and breed. Tilikum killed a couple people - some say due to psycosis brought on by the abduction and captivity. They keep him around still because his sperm is valuable.

If you already think the whole prospect of holding intelligent, social, free ranging sea creatures in a tub for the entertainment of the land whales is idiotic and immoral then there is not much new here, but the film is pretty well done and interviews a lot of the former sea world trainers.

Particularly emotional is the interview of one of the grizzled old seaman that was a hired hand when they originally captured Tilikum. He recounted how he started crying when Tilikum's family would not leave while they were lifting him into the boat and they were communicating back and forth.
dinopello
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Return to Book/Media Reviews