Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Is this the most Amazing Living Artist?

A forum to either submit your own review of a book, video or audio interview, or to post reviews by others.

Is this the most Amazing Living Artist?

Unread postby SeaGypsy » Wed 23 Oct 2013, 03:12:01

Please folks check this out-
(From a professional arts background this is the first thing which has blown my mind since I leaned how to make sand into glass)

http://vimeo.com/59126287
SeaGypsy
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Re: Is this the most Amazing Living Artist?

Unread postby Shaved Monkey » Wed 23 Oct 2013, 03:53:44

Have you seen some of Ron Muecks work ?
Another Australian hyper realist sculptor.
https://www.google.com.au/search?q=muec ... 24&bih=616
Ready to turn Zombies into WWOOFers
Shaved Monkey
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby SeaGypsy » Wed 23 Oct 2013, 04:22:41

Same school- TV sets- I had seen a couple of Muecks' he's done more since- came up withe this list of awesome contemporary hyper-realists. What's the bet this is the 3D first stage of 'Singularity'?- How much of a leap to make one of these full animated replicas? How much will people pay to have one and make a hobby of programming it as their 'ideal replicate self'?

Rune- I have to admit these artists have added a dimension of respect for the possibilities I'm not sure I could otherwise have found. 'Soul' or actual self transference- I have my doubts- but this seems to make the next best thing that much closer-. Ching, ching.... :)

http://www.webdesignerdepot.com/2009/11 ... culptures/
SeaGypsy
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Unread postby Pops » Wed 23 Oct 2013, 06:28:27

Pretty amazing.
The legitimate object of government, is to do for a community of people, whatever they need to have done, but can not do, at all, or can not, so well do, for themselves -- in their separate, and individual capacities.
-- Abraham Lincoln, Fragment on Government (July 1, 1854)
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby Tanada » Wed 23 Oct 2013, 07:58:48

When I saw Jurassic Park at the theater I predicted that within my life time you would see movies made with famous actors as they appeared at the height of their careers. Think Marylin Monroe, and Cary Grant as the leads in 50 Shades of Grey-The Movie. We now have the technology to make that happen.
Alfred Tennyson wrote:We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Timo » Wed 23 Oct 2013, 11:17:58

The Atlantic Magazine recently sent out an e-mail blitz of his sculptures, and i absolutely agree that his work is stunning. I also submit that the understanding of what art is and what art isn't is entirely up to the individual. The tired, old cliche that if i can do it, then it isn't art, in no way applies here. Very, very few people have the capabilities to create sculptures like that, absolute duplicates of the human physical form, so in that sense, it is truly art. However, part of me denies that claim, as well. When i see his work, i see a duplication, or a recreation of the human form, and in this sense, it is not original. He starts with a photo or a drawing, and goes about making the 2D image into a 3D sculpture. He got his start in film making, which has the tangible requisite need for his work. He's simply exporting his medium from films to the art gallery. Again, stunnig work, absolutely! But art? That question is really making me search for an answer, which is one of the primary definitions of what art is supposed to do for those who view it, right? Interpretation. Contemplation. Personal reflections. OK. It's art. My only critique of his work is that the realism he employs can, at times, be downright creepy. TMI!!!! Can you create an impressionist sculpture of a woman and infant child? Please????
Timo

Unread postby SeaGypsy » Wed 23 Oct 2013, 17:41:03

Timo, go back and click the other links- Jinks is one of this 'new breed' of hyper-realists. I find his conceptual development quite deep. For example- the sculpture with the old lady and a baby- both are based on the same person- it's her holding and being held by herself- at the beginning and late stages of life. There are more and less profound concepts explored by these artists. The quality of their work is nothing short of phenomenal and it appears only a handful of people in the whole world have their abilities. Compared to some of the absolute garbage conceptual art over the last 20 years- there is no comparison.
SeaGypsy
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Unread postby dinopello » Wed 23 Oct 2013, 19:13:04

I generally like art that I would be happy displaying on my property. I'll do some pretty dark and creepy stuff but I wouldn't want these people in my house. The realism is well done though.
dinopello
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Shaved Monkey » Wed 23 Oct 2013, 22:05:09

Tanada wrote:When I saw Jurassic Park at the theater I predicted that within my life time you would see movies made with famous actors as they appeared at the height of their careers. Think Marylin Monroe, and Cary Grant as the leads in 50 Shades of Grey-The Movie. We now have the technology to make that happen.

I went to school with Ron Mueck,so am quite familiar with some of his stuff.
He did work for Jim Henson and was involved in a fair bit of hollywood puppetry and early Australian TV stuff.
Ready to turn Zombies into WWOOFers
Shaved Monkey
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Loki » Thu 24 Oct 2013, 00:34:39

dinopello wrote:I generally like art that I would be happy displaying on my property. I'll do some pretty dark and creepy stuff but I wouldn't want these people in my house. The realism is well done though.

Have to agree with this.

I have a lot more respect for expert craftsmen than I do for "artists." Not that I don't appreciate art, but it's generally too uselessly self-indulgent. I prefer practicality with a flair.

The technical mastery of the OP link is impressive, though.
A garden will make your rations go further.
Loki
Expert
Expert

Unread postby yeahbut » Thu 24 Oct 2013, 18:29:33

Wonderful to look at, thanks for the link SG. I have to say, tho, that it doesn't really move me much. When I look at it, I think something along the lines of 'wow that's amazingly realistic, what incredible skill, I wonder how he makes it?' And that's pretty much it. When I see a really wild piece of sculpture, on the other hand, I might spend half an hour looking at it and thinking about it. It will move me in a way that this simply does not. So my answer to your question would be- no, not even close. I would love to see an exhibition of his work, tho, I'm sure it is powerful when you are in the room and can examine it up close.
yeahbut
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby SeaGypsy » Thu 24 Oct 2013, 18:44:33

Part of why I began this thread I didn't spell out; I welcome anyone wants to post anything however different- they define as fine art.

My last professional glass project:

http://news.aboriginalartdirectory.com/ ... us-gla.php
SeaGypsy
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Return to Book/Media Reviews