Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Hello Pt 7

Say hello, learn how to register, read the rules, get staff announcements.

Hi everyone nice to meet you all :)

Unread postby fionagriffin17 » Fri 14 Dec 2012, 04:00:45

I'm Fiona Griffin 21 years old from United Kingdom. :)
fionagriffin17
Wood
Wood

Re: Hi everyone nice to meet you all :)

Unread postby Quinny » Fri 14 Dec 2012, 04:45:24

Hi Fiona nice to see another Brit :) Hope you learn and enjoy?
Live, Love, Learn, Leave Legacy.....oh and have a Laugh while you're doing it!
Quinny
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Hi

Unread postby sirAnthonyKlein » Tue 18 Dec 2012, 02:28:14

Good Day !!
This is Anthony McKlein, 29, a newbie.first time to join in a discussion like this.
sirAnthonyKlein
Wood
Wood

Re: Hi

Unread postby SeaGypsy » Tue 18 Dec 2012, 03:20:03

And what have you to say about peak oil and it's ramifications on- (take pick-) your life, the future of the planet, the economy in general or specific, or any other thing which takes your fancy?
SeaGypsy
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Re: Hi

Unread postby Quinny » Tue 18 Dec 2012, 03:31:59

Hi Sir, Enjoy and may I request what the monarchy of your abode?
Live, Love, Learn, Leave Legacy.....oh and have a Laugh while you're doing it!
Quinny
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Not new, just back from a long hiatus

Unread postby DoomerUndoomer » Tue 08 Jan 2013, 14:56:14

I think my old screen name on here was happygunlover... anyway, it's been years since I was a member and posted on here. So much has changed between my perspective and where I'm at in life right now. The short of it is I've been a PO'er since about 2004/2005. I currently own a farm and raising a family, still way too reliant on fossil fuels, the grocery store and other technology. Still working on that. I have a lot to learn but also a lot to share. Peak Oil still scares the crap out of me, but I'm not preparing for TEOTWAWKI (of course your version of teotwawki and mine might differ)

So that's me.

Doomer Undoomer
DoomerUndoomer
DoomerUndoomer
Wood
Wood

Re: Not new, just back from a long hiatus

Unread postby Pops » Tue 08 Jan 2013, 15:56:42

Hi DU, welcome back

I agree, no EOTW.

But I think the AWKI part is still up in the air.

;^)
The legitimate object of government, is to do for a community of people, whatever they need to have done, but can not do, at all, or can not, so well do, for themselves -- in their separate, and individual capacities.
-- Abraham Lincoln, Fragment on Government (July 1, 1854)
Pops
Elite
Elite

Re: Not new, just back from a long hiatus

Unread postby DoomerUndoomer » Wed 09 Jan 2013, 13:19:41

I can see a slow grind, how many have had to cut back or make adjustment due to lack of income in the last few years. How long until people realize this is the new normal and that things just might not ever make it back to the idealized "way they used to be"

So that's why I'm here, trying to figure out the new normal ;)
DoomerUndoomer
DoomerUndoomer
Wood
Wood

Greetings from Colorado!

Unread postby Buddy_J » Sun 03 Feb 2013, 16:20:03

Hey everyone, after a recent dinner party conversation with some rather arrogant and ill informed relatives, I arrive here looking for some hope and sanity related to powerdown and localization.

Without information, it was a difficult task to rebut the relatives, so learning about the decline of the fossil fuel age looks to be in order.
Buddy_J
Peat
Peat

Re: Greetings from Colorado!

Unread postby SamInNebraska » Sun 03 Feb 2013, 16:22:51

Welcome aboard Buddy! My situation was similar to yours, and while the waters have been a might confusing, there is certainly information all over the place. Enjoy!

So what angle did the relatives present you with that would cause an internet information epiphany?
SamInNebraska
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby SeaGypsy » Sun 03 Feb 2013, 16:52:47

Probably everyone here but a few hermits (?) has been through (and/or) is perpetually going through the same kinds of issues when it comes to communicating the status of our runaway train society.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/K%C3%BCbler-Ross_model

1/ Denial — "I feel fine."; "This can't be happening, not to me."

Denial is usually only a temporary defense for the individual. This feeling is generally replaced with heightened awareness of possessions and individuals that will be left behind after death. Denial can be conscious or unconscious refusal to accept facts, information, or the reality of the situation. Denial is a defense mechanism and some people can become locked in this stage.

2/ Anger — "Why me? It's not fair!"; "How can this happen to me?"; '"Who is to blame?"

Once in the second stage, the individual recognizes that denial cannot continue. Because of anger, the person is very difficult to care for due to misplaced feelings of rage and envy. Anger can manifest itself in different ways. People can be angry with themselves, or with others, and especially those who are close to them. It is important to remain detached and nonjudgmental when dealing with a person experiencing anger from grief.

3/ Bargaining — "I'll do anything for a few more years."; "I will give my life savings if..."

The third stage involves the hope that the individual can somehow postpone or delay death. Usually, the negotiation for an extended life is made with a higher power in exchange for a reformed lifestyle. Psychologically, the individual is saying, "I understand I will die, but if I could just do something to buy more time..." People facing less serious trauma can bargain or seek to negotiate a compromise. For example "Can we still be friends?.." when facing a break-up. Bargaining rarely provides a sustainable solution, especially if it's a matter of life or death.

4/ Depression — "I'm so sad, why bother with anything?"; "I'm going to die soon so what's the point?"; "I miss my loved one, why go on?"

During the fourth stage, the dying person begins to understand the certainty of death. Because of this, the individual may become silent, refuse visitors and spend much of the time crying and grieving. This process allows the dying person to disconnect from things of love and affection. It is not recommended to attempt to cheer up an individual who is in this stage. It is an important time for grieving that must be processed. Depression could be referred to as the dress rehearsal for the 'aftermath'. It is a kind of acceptance with emotional attachment. It's natural to feel sadness, regret, fear, and uncertainty when going through this stage. Feeling those emotions shows that the person has begun to accept the situation.

5/ Acceptance — "It's going to be okay."; "I can't fight it, I may as well prepare for it."

In this last stage, individuals begin to come to terms with their mortality, or that of a loved one, or other tragic event. This stage varies according to the person's situation. People dying can enter this stage a long time before the people they leave behind, who must pass through their own individual stages of dealing with the grief.

Those of us who have reached the stage of perception of the problems of our age being terminal, go through the same kind of grief as a person diagnosed with a terminal disease. There have been many threads here discussing communications issues with family & friends re. these devastating perceptions. The most common reactions are denial and questioning the sanity of the observer.

Some of us have been in this kind of limbo for years (me included).
A few of us have been able to get a team approach happening with loved ones to prepare for the crash/ dwindling of our society.

This site is a nexus point for communications about the key issues of our era. It is also a community of folk who mostly agree that we are in deep doo-doo one way or the other.

Welcome, enjoy; don't expect rapid conversion from anyone.
SeaGypsy
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Unread postby Buddy_J » Mon 04 Feb 2013, 09:58:20

SamInNebraska wrote:So what angle did the relatives present you with that would cause an internet information epiphany?

Well, it was political discussion night and it veered into economic growth, the high price of gasoline, those sorts of topics. I popped my head up for just an instant by showing a concern that forever growth in a planet of known size wouldn't end well, and got landed on like a ton of bricks.
Buddy_J
Peat
Peat

Unread postby Buddy_J » Mon 04 Feb 2013, 10:01:46

SeaGypsy wrote:Welcome, enjoy; don't expect rapid conversion from anyone.

Rapid conversion? Heck, I'd be happy to see some slow recognition. So anyway, I figure anything I learn here can be applied in the next conversation which hints at politics or perpetual economic growth, and I'll just see how it goes.
Buddy_J
Peat
Peat

Unread postby davep » Mon 04 Feb 2013, 11:20:42

Hi Buddy, you may want to look at the youtube link in the first post here: http://peakoil.com/forums/if-you-re-not-listening-to-chris-martenson-t64153.html

He discusses the nature of exponential systems and how it's not just energy that is a problem.
What we think, we become.
davep
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Unread postby evilgenius » Mon 04 Feb 2013, 13:24:59

Albert Bartlett, google him and watch some of the videos on growth as well. He is a great starting point in addition to what's been mentioned. As far as turning small scale goes, you might benefit from going over to the archdruid's (John Michael Greer) blog.
evilgenius
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Hello

Unread postby MarkH » Sun 03 Mar 2013, 05:09:54

I have been reading Peak Oil News for several years and have only just now registered. I have moved to the countryside in Sweden from the US (abandoning my job as criminal defense lawyer) within the last year. My wife and I are working toward a sustainable lifestyle on 5 hectares on which we are engaged in soil restoration and permaculture design. I am hoping that I will benefit more from Peak Oil by registering!

MarkH
MarkH
Wood
Wood

Re: Hello

Unread postby Pops » Sun 03 Mar 2013, 16:14:32

Hi Mark,

We too have a small place and try to be sustainable with greater and lessor success.

Feel free to post up your experiences in the Planning forum. Gotta show us some pictures!
The legitimate object of government, is to do for a community of people, whatever they need to have done, but can not do, at all, or can not, so well do, for themselves -- in their separate, and individual capacities.
-- Abraham Lincoln, Fragment on Government (July 1, 1854)
Pops
Elite
Elite

Re: Hello Newbie Here

Unread postby davep » Fri 17 May 2013, 08:52:51

It's spammer central here...
What we think, we become.
davep
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Re: Hello Newbie Here

Unread postby skootre » Sat 01 Jun 2013, 11:42:11

Brand new as of today. Love the info found here. It's amazing how much disinformation is being sold by the popular press nowadays. But you all know that. :)
skootre
Wood
Wood

Hi

Unread postby Ageostrophic_Wind » Thu 04 Jul 2013, 10:23:55

Hi All,

I have been following Peak Oil on The Oil Drum since 2006. Moving over here now that TOD is going archival at the end of July. I do not not tend to be a frequent poster, but do much reading. Good to see some familiar names here. I look forward to continued discussion about resource depletion, especially fossil fuels and Peak Oil.

-best,
"Men argue; Nature acts." -Voltaire
Ageostrophic_Wind
Wood
Wood

PreviousNext

Return to Welcome