PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Airline Pilot to eat his Internet Hat

Discussions about the economic and financial ramifications of PEAK OIL

Re: Airline Pilot to eat his Internet Hat

Unread postby dolanbaker » Thu 06 Sep 2012, 18:58:10

OilFinder2 wrote:
OilFinder2 wrote:
AirlinePilot wrote: I would also suggest that if one is honest about it there appears to be serious resistance at the 13,000 level.

I would suggest that if one is honest about it there appears to be serious support at the 13,000 level!

Ahem.

>>> 13,292 <<<

Took a promise to print an infinite quantity of Euros to achieve that, plus the hint of a similar number of Dollars as well.

So now how do those figures relate to value?
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by rulers as useful.:Anonymous
Our whole economy is based on planned obsolescence.
Hungrymoggy "I am now predicting that Europe will NUKE ITSELF sometime in the first week of January"
dolanbaker
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby seenmostofit » Thu 06 Sep 2012, 19:27:44

dolanbaker wrote:
So now how do those figures relate to value?

Depends on how you define "value" doesn't it? Certainly buying stock tracking funds and mutual funds has been a better "value" than investing in real estate over the past 4 years, and much better than CD's and whatnot as well. When other forms of investment are returning 0%, those returning >0% certainly have more "value". Have gold tracking funds even done as well as the market since the Great Depression II which wasn't kicked off at the end of 2008?
seenmostofit
Permanently Banned

Unread postby dolanbaker » Thu 06 Sep 2012, 19:54:00

I would consider essential commodities (foodstuffs, fuel & raw materials) as being the best indicator of value, using that definition, most currencies are losing value. Compared to commodities, most stock markets appear to be slipping.
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by rulers as useful.:Anonymous
Hungrymoggy "I am now predicting that Europe will NUKE ITSELF sometime in the first week of January"
dolanbaker
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby seenmostofit » Thu 06 Sep 2012, 21:08:11

dolanbaker wrote:I would consider essential commodities (foodstuffs, fuel & raw materials) as being the best indicator of value, using that definition, most currencies are losing value. Compared to commodities, most stock markets appear to be slipping.

Well, essential commodities are certainly valuable, but so is a stock tracking fund which has doubled in value over the past 3-1/2 years or so? And commodities can substituted for and mitigated against, for example using less gasoline, even if the price is higher. Same with foodstuffs (eat less meat, save the planet!), electricity (mine has actually gone down with tiered pricing), and various other things. Or is it just that small increases in foodstuffs and whatnot don't sting as much as a doubling of paper profits in a stock account, which has a much higher happy-happy joy-joy feel about it?
seenmostofit
Permanently Banned

Unread postby rangerone314 » Sun 09 Sep 2012, 02:20:27

Was a dumb bet to pick a number in dollars anyway, which doesn't indicate value of the stocks. It indicates value of the dollar. Curious that gold is climbing back up also.

If the spot price of gold is $1736 and Dec 2011 it was $1600, does that mean gold is more valuable or that the dollar is LESS valuable?
An ideology is by definition not a search for TRUTH-but a search for PROOF that its point of view is right

Equals barter and negotiate-people with power just take

You cant defend freedom by eliminating it-unknown

Our elected reps should wear sponsor patches on their suits so we know who they represent-like Nascar-Roy
rangerone314
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby dolanbaker » Thu 15 Nov 2012, 07:10:47

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business/mark ... _month.stm

Code: Select all
index value        change        %            52 wk-h          52 wk-l
12570.95        -185.23       -1.45           13610.15          11231.78    

Looks Like AP can wear his hat again. ;)
dolanbaker
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby AirlinePilot » Fri 16 Nov 2012, 00:32:12

Hah!!!...never took it off! 8)
AirlinePilot

Previous

Return to Economics & Finance