Login

Peak Oil is You

Donate Bitcoins ;-) or Paypal :-)

THE Precious Metals: Gold Thread pt 4 (merged)

Discussions about the economic and financial ramifications of hydrocarbon depletion.

Re: THE Precious Metals: Gold Thread pt 3 (merged)

Unread postby Pretorian » Thu 15 Dec 2011, 18:34:19

Heineken wrote:
Revi wrote: The biggest ingredient is a community you can trust.

I wonder if there's any way to know in advance whom we can truly trust, or how communities will react when facing massive change and life-and-death situations. Hell, I don't even know how I will react.

It's one thing for neighbors to share food when there's plenty to go around; it's another matter entirely when the stink of starvation is in the air.

I can enlighten you on this part : You can trust nobody. Even people that have your interests in their hearts before their own ( like some parents for example ) can lose, or change their mind and become dangerous.
Consider how many kids were snatched and eaten during famines by their neighbors and even by their own relatives, this question is really rhetorical.
www.olpejetaconservancy.org
Appeal to China to stop ivory and rhino horn trade
http://www.change.org/petitions/china-s ... oss-africa
Pretorian
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Revi » Thu 15 Dec 2011, 21:47:07

I agree with you. There is no safe place to be when things get nasty. There was no safe place to be in Central American in the 80's, but for some reason it didn't bother me as much then.

Getting back to the topic of PM's they seem to be recovering today. I still don't see any silver dollars on sale. The price seems to be around $38 a piece still. Half dollars are going for around $15-20, or 30 times face value. Maybe physical silver is holding its value, while SLV and GLD is going down with the market.
Deep in the mud and slime of things, even there, something sings.
Revi
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby anador » Fri 16 Dec 2011, 14:23:41

I figure 29 was a good low to buy on... im a nearly broke college graduate.... but I figured I could afford 5 Eagles at 1 dollar over spot from the local shop.... so i guess im one of those people that buys silver now.
@#$% highways
anador
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Mesuge » Mon 19 Dec 2011, 17:37:52

Heineken wrote: I wonder if there's any way to know in advance whom we can truly trust, or how communities will react when facing massive change and life-and-death situations. Hell, I don't even know how I will react.

The trends are increasingly suggesting that the US still has got some hidden opportunities in the SHTF scenario, the country is still relatively young, and relatively "less populated". Should there be a window of opportunity to duke it out in another civil war for lack of better term, you might get another run to rebuild various regional republics (based on divergent philosophies) from the ashes. Yes, messy, bloody, very destructive on all un/imaginable fronts, but in less than 5-15yrs it could be over.

Unfortunately, this is most likely not in store for most of Europe, what we likely get would be in first stages some kind of protofascism ala current gov. in Hungary today (member of EU) with later prolonged stages in decades/centuries of increasingly oppresive/totalitarian governments and slowmotion decay. May lead to armed inter regional/national conflicts but hardly into traditional quick fix civil wars.. I've got nothing against asians, but sooner or later they will have to body by body move on to "greener pastures", and that means either east-central-south Africa and/or Europe. Mentally, Europeans are too degenerate at this stage of history to face up to another physical opression without their fossil dipped toys (jets and missiles). It will end up badly, colony, semi-colony, wasteland..

So, to get back on topic, the prediction is clear, pm/goldbugging for European theatre is just plain silly, perhaps benefitial only to outliers like nordic countries, or people with longterm plans to move "elsewhere" in last minute anyway.
Mesuge
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Revi » Thu 22 Dec 2011, 12:07:13

I don't think it's a bad idea to sew a few 5 rouble gold coins into a pair of jeans you might need to bug out in. Or put 5 or 10 silver thalers in your bug out bag. Europe is not immune to trouble. I'm not saying you want to count on PM's for much, but as a small and portable store of wealth they are very useful.
Deep in the mud and slime of things, even there, something sings.
Revi
Fusion
Fusion

Farmers Will Drive Ferraris: Jim Rogers. Gold $6000

Unread postby Everything » Wed 28 Dec 2011, 21:54:18

”Agricultural commodities are the place to be in for investors,” points out Rogers saying that it will be farmers not bankers driving Ferraris in the coming decades.
Rogers and Faber argue that the US dollar is on a path to death and Gold prices will continue to rise on the declining dollar value.
According to Rogers, governments have not addressed the underlying problems which triggered the crisis, but instead have "flooded the world with money." He argues that trying to solve the problem of too much consumption and too much debt with more consumption "defies belief," and will result in epic failure.

NOTE: Everything, please check your private messages before posting anymore. -Ferretlover
Everything
permanently banned

Re: Farmers Will Drive Ferraris: Jim Rogers. Gold $6000

Unread postby prajeshbhat » Wed 28 Dec 2011, 23:39:04

”Agricultural commodities are the place to be in for investors,”

Possibly true. That's the next frontier for our brave speculators and all those who pretend to have a real job.

it will be farmers not bankers driving Ferraris in the coming decades.

Oh yeah sure.

I don't know. Maybe in America, farmers are given a VIP treatment.
prajeshbhat
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby SeaGypsy » Thu 29 Dec 2011, 02:45:34

Agriculture provided the basis for military capacity and a ruling class, who always lived in fortresses, besides having the best chariot of the given time. Never have the ruling class wished to dirty their hands with such filth as goes on in farming.

If what he is really saying is invest in mega-corp ag/ chain conglomerate, he is right. Will these guys pay the actual farmers enough to drive Ferari's? IPMSL :lol:
SeaGypsy
Expert
Expert

Unread postby EnergyUnlimited » Thu 29 Dec 2011, 06:26:16

Everything wrote:”Agricultural commodities are the place to be in for investors,” points out Rogers saying that it will be farmers not bankers driving Ferraris in the coming decades.

Bankers will end up replaced by feudal overlords, that's about it.
Many of them will invest in land while money are still worth something and rest will perish.
Farmers will end up to be semi-slaves.
Good old past is coming back, maybe without Crusaders on horizon but with many other features already forgotten.

Rogers and Faber argue that the US dollar is on a path to death and Gold prices will continue to rise on the declining dollar value.

That is an obvious trend.
Paper money are just *printed* commodity of no intrinsic value.
EnergyUnlimited
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Cloud9 » Thu 29 Dec 2011, 08:02:06

When the riots start, the Stalinist approach will make short work of farmers.
Cloud9
Fission
Fission

Unread postby EnergyUnlimited » Thu 29 Dec 2011, 15:46:32

Cloud9 wrote:When the riots start, the Stalinist approach will make short work of farmers.

But it won't feed urban population...
EnergyUnlimited
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Keith_McClary » Fri 30 Dec 2011, 02:09:42

I'm told by an unreliable source that the mixed salads are embalmed in the plastic clamshells right in the field. Also, the irrigation water is pumped up from the Colorado River for free (US taxpayer$). Yuma AZ produces 9X% of your lettuce.

IIRC the unreliable source.
"Western meds aren't working any more"
-Dmitry Orlov
Keith_McClary
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Cloud9 » Sat 31 Dec 2011, 10:42:21

That never bothered Stalin. A political hack runs the farms because he is a party favorite. The fact that he has no agricultural experience does not matter. Consequently millions starve. That is the way thugocracies work. For a case study, look at Zimbabwe.
Cloud9
Fission
Fission

Unread postby SeaGypsy » Sat 31 Dec 2011, 11:22:22

It's more complex than that. Mugabe trained hundreds of thousands of nurses, accountants, industrialists and farmers. Most of whom went forth and became remittance submitters. It's not easy to run a farm by Western Union and email. When he crashed the economy remitters had no way to get money through, this had as much to do with the near famine aftermath as dearth of precious white farmers. There are many remitters now who have figured out how to completely circumvent the Zim government, this will be Mugabe's real undoing. Meanwhile South Africa does nicely in the trade.
SeaGypsy
Expert
Expert

Unread postby ralfy » Tue 03 Jan 2012, 09:41:17

When that happens, there'll be no more Ferraris.
http://sites.google.com/site/peakoilreports/
ralfy
Fission
Fission

Unread postby Keith_McClary » Tue 03 Jan 2012, 11:29:40

Cloud9 wrote:A political hack runs the farms because he is a party favorite. The fact that he has no agricultural experience does not matter.
Does he have an MBA?
"Western meds aren't working any more"
-Dmitry Orlov
Keith_McClary
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby copious.abundance » Thu 24 May 2012, 13:47:43

Daniel_Plainview wrote:Holy crap ... Gold just soared to $1660 ...

What's going on? What's happening?

Could it be that the sheeple are finally beginning to realize that FIAT CURRENCIES are worthless puke? ...

Could it be that the sheeple now realize that the US Govt's dysfunctionality has reached lethal levels ... followed closely by Greece, Portugal, Ireland, Spain, Italy ... and a host of other utterly dysfunctional regimes ... and it's all downhill from here ...

And QE3 hasn't even been announced yet ... Holy crap ...

Holy crap. Gold just can't seem to hold onto $1660. Could it be the gold bugs are finally realizing that GOLD is worthless puke?

Could it be that the gold bugs are finally realizing the gold bubble is OVER and that it's all downhill from here?

Funny, a short time ago the gold bugs were trying to tell us the USD was worthless puke ... just in time for it to begin rallying.

The dollar has now gained 19% against gold since August. Holy crap, how stupid can the gold bugs be?
Stuff for doomers to contemplate:
http://peakoil.com/forums/post1190117.html#p1190117
http://peakoil.com/forums/post1193930.html#p1193930
copious.abundance
Master
Master

Unread postby mattduke » Thu 24 May 2012, 15:16:41

I've been expecting this price downturn given the impending bank runs in Europe. The banks, desperate for Euros, are jettisoning assets, including gold. A similar thing happened during the Wall Street bank runs. Just accumulate dollars for a while, wait for blood on the streets, or FED/ECB bailouts, then buy like crazy.
mattduke
Fission
Fission

Chinese Gold Imports Leap

Unread postby mattduke » Mon 04 Jun 2012, 19:44:54

Gold shipments to the mainland climbed in March to 62,913 kilograms, the Hong Kong data showed. That compares with 39,668 kilograms in February and 9,166 kilograms in March 2011. China doesn’t publish gold-trade data. Last year, imports from Hong Kong more than tripled to 431,226 kilograms.

The purchases through Hong Kong may signal that the mainland is accumulating reserves, London-based brokerage Sharps Pixley Ltd. said in February. The nation last made its reserves known more than two years ago, stating them at 1,054 tons.

They are buying low. You should too.
http://www.businessweek.com/news/2012-0 ... ggest-user
mattduke
Fission
Fission

Re: Chinese Gold Imports Leap

Unread postby SeaGypsy » Mon 04 Jun 2012, 22:00:00

You are onto it Matt. Whoever accumulates the most gold at the end game of fiat, is the one most likely to win. I find it funny when people talk about the gold price as if 'it' were the 'real' price and that it can be treated the same as any other commodity. Fact is it cannot. If the Chinese have any brains, this gold they are buying is actual real physical and shiny. The many people holding the other kind of 'gold' are going to find out the hard way, it does not exist.

(in fact this shows the Chinese are way in front of the BS they are supposed to be believing in. The huge mess in the gold market is possibly the biggest single hole in the current investment market. When the public realize how much 'gold' doesn't exist, the price is going to go absolutely crazy. This is a given. I would happily bet they are drilling every single bar/ ingot.
SeaGypsy
Expert
Expert

PreviousNext

Return to Economics & Finance