Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Canadian political poll

For discussions of events and conditions not necessarily related to Peak Oil.

Canadian political poll

Unread postby Rod_Cloutier » Thu 24 May 2012, 00:18:52

Today I picked up the phone to a automated computer political poll about current political issues and events. (Canadian politics)

Given that the poll was automated I could only choose 'Yes' or 'No' to the questions being asked and I could not give independant feedback. I would usually just hang up to calls like this; but I thought participating in the poll would give me some insight into what the political 'leaders' in the country are actually thinking about.

Besides the age, gender, income sorting questions they asked me yes or no on the following (important) social issues:

1) Should enviromental groups be banned from attending public hearings on the Keystone oil pipeline project and other similar projects?
2) Should refugees arriving in Canada without Identification be automatically jailed for six months?
3) Should Canada participate in the purchase of the new F-35 fighter jets to enhance our security?
4) Is the leadership of the opposition policial parties good? (We have 3 opposition political parties- yes/no for each)
5) Is the current Prime minster is doing a good job?
6) Should the Canadian government be favouring a strong dollar which is good for consumers purchasing power or should they be pursuing a weak dollar which is better for manufacturing? (yes/no to each question)

None of these issues would even make the top 100 of my personal political concerns. I'm worried about catastrophic climate change, peak oil, the prospect of social and/or economic collapse. The limits to growth. Global financial fraud and potential for monetary collapse. The Japan nuclear disaster, ect, ect.

I don't like the political platforms of ANY of the existing political parties in Canada, including the Green party. If an election was held today I'd be tempted to decline my ballot at the poll. (I've done this before)- but of course that option wasn't presented in the telephone poll.

If these are all the 'Major' concerns the 'leadership' of the country is worrying about- we're all doomed! (Even if we weren't doomed already). Its sad how shallow and empty political 'leadership' really is! :cry: :cry: :cry:
Rod_Cloutier
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Return to Geopolitics & Global Economics