Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Hello Pt 7

Say hello, learn how to register, read the rules, get staff announcements.

Re: Greetings from the Old World!

Unread postby Sir.Henry » Mon 01 Aug 2011, 19:11:50

Thanks Pops,

...and i'm already preparing for the time of tooth change and teenager habits when he will totally forget about everything tought so far.

Hm...
Code: Select all
Looking for doomstead to move in in 2 to 3 months for half a year. Can be of low quality with a leaking roof or whatever. Just get me away from this soon to become beast!
Sir.Henry
Wood
Wood

Unread postby Sir.Henry » Mon 01 Aug 2011, 19:56:55

Just FYI, i have not yet managed to activate posting notifications.
So i might miss some updates, please post a reminder here in this thread if you feel like i should bark at someone or something.

Heading bedwise now... and:
Thank you! :)
Sir.Henry
Wood
Wood

Unread postby DomusAlbion » Tue 02 Aug 2011, 00:45:00

We welcome you, great Sir.

It is rare to have a Peer amongst us and I'm sure your insights will be welcome to all.

BTW you're a handsome fellow to boot. Please do tell your handler to behave on the boards, make no unseemly messes and follow the COC.

Thank you,
The Management
"Modern Agriculture is the use of land to convert petroleum into food."
-- Albert Bartlett

"It will be a dark time. But for those who survive, I suspect it will be rather exciting."
-- James Lovelock
DomusAlbion
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Keith_McClary » Tue 02 Aug 2011, 02:57:01

Sir.Henry wrote:Just FYI, i have not yet managed to activate posting notifications.
We've been trying to do that for years. With the patience and persistence you applied to the chisel, you might succeed.
Facebook knows you're a dog.
Keith_McClary
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Quinny » Tue 02 Aug 2011, 03:48:21

Hi Henry

Know exactly how you mean. I have a set of old furniture planes which I'm working on. I've just used imagination, but would be interested in any tips you might have, or a guide if there is one.

The old world ? You mean England?
:-D
Live, Love, Learn, Leave Legacy.....oh and have a Laugh while you're doing it!
Quinny
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Sir.Henry » Tue 02 Aug 2011, 18:39:47

DomusAlbion wrote:Please do tell your handler to behave on the boards, make no unseemly messes and follow the COC.

There goes my plan to mess up insanely and blame it all on the dog!

Keith_McClary wrote:
Sir.Henry wrote:Just FYI, i have not yet managed to activate posting notifications.
We've been trying to do that for years. With the patience and persistence you applied to the chisel, you might succeed.

Oh. Well, maybe the chisel could help with that in some way.
Directions to the server room, please? :roll:

Quinny wrote:I have a set of old furniture planes which I'm working on. I've just used imagination, but would be interested in any tips you might have, or a guide if there is one.

The old world ? You mean England?
:-D

Got a few old wooden planes myself which i am trying to persuade out of retirement one by one. I can't be called a professional by any means but had some success restoring the blades to working order.
Also i bought a quality plane and one of the cheapest models available for comparison and am happily producing wood dust in order to find out what works best. And why!
How about discussing this in a seperate thread? If all else fails, we could at least post some images of lovely campfires fueled by our failed experiments! :)

As for the Old World, that was a joke i made up on the fly. Because of Henry i tried to sound a bit like an Englishman, but i'm actually German.
Bavarian to be precise, which is... hm... somewhat different. Just like a Scotsman not exactly being English or a Corse not exactly French.

(Note to self: Time to search around some Wiki to find out who i am)

See you around! :)
Sir.Henry
Wood
Wood

Unread postby Keith_McClary » Tue 02 Aug 2011, 22:43:30

Sir.Henry wrote:Oh. Well, maybe the chisel could help with that in some way.
Directions to the server room, please? :roll:
The Cloud.
Facebook knows you're a dog.
Keith_McClary
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Hello

Unread postby homeboy » Fri 05 Aug 2011, 21:56:08

Hello Peakers!
homeboy
Wood
Wood

Re: Hello

Unread postby timmac » Sat 06 Aug 2011, 00:09:24

Howdy, welcome to P.O. what brought you here..

:mrgreen:
timmac
Permanently Banned

Unread postby Sys1 » Sat 06 Aug 2011, 02:14:54

Homeboy : You arrive too late!
Take quick one or two days of hollidays and buy canned food, gold, and ammunitions.
If you have more time and money, dig a bunker under your house. :mrgreen:
Sys1
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Another new user

Unread postby Alan Cain » Sat 06 Aug 2011, 17:02:22

Hi. My name is Alan Cain. I attended the University of Oil (err, Oklahoma) back in the '70s, after Vietnam and being a medic, starting in Geology and Chemistry and ending in Geography when I saw the handwriting on the wall, and found I liked map making more than working with oil companies.

I worked on the coal reserves studies of the eastern part of Oklahoma with Dr. Friedman (as a slave), drew pretty pictures and worked for the tourism folks in OK for a while; I went to Colorado, worked for Peabody Coal and for a Uranium exploration company and realized that I really did not LIKE extractive industries all that much. I landed briefly in Missouri working in city planning, going to grad school in Resource Management, and doing organic homesteading before changing careers to Nursing.

Seems like too much school to me. :P

I spent time in critical care and in surgery (ran a surgical suite for a while) until I, as many do, developed serious allergies to antibiotics and latex/neoprene. I became a computer repair dude, and started an Internet service business doing wireless and fiber optics in a very small town (2000 people in the community with 100 Gigabit connections) until the next sparkly thing came along - now I am raising grapes and making wine in Washington. My vineyard uses water pumped from 500 feet down (a lovely crushed granite substrate, clear tasty water) via solar panels and we are organic; I am too lazy to find effective deadly poisons, and I like to drink my wine without lead or arsenic, thank you.

My, what a strange trip it has been! My wife is a Certified Nurse Midwife and Family Nurse Practitioner, and we still tolerate each other. :wink:

I'm a bit of an amateur naturalist; I have 140 acres to study and describe, which is really pretty blissful. I don't claim any great insights, but I do like what I do. :)

I am alarmed at our global blindness, and look forward to starving to death while the temperatures go up to 120 on a cool day. :-D

I strive for optimism, and think that the journey will be chaotic as we go wherever it is we are going. I once thought I knew, and planned for utopia. Now I plan for chickens and grapes. At least I'll have coq au vin. And just think! It'll cook itself! :roll:
Remember that in a population group, the number of individuals that are below average is equal to (the total number, divided by two), minus one. And that one is not swift.
Alan Cain
Peat
Peat

Re: Another new user

Unread postby Pops » Sat 06 Aug 2011, 17:48:56

Hi Alan, welcome.
The legitimate object of government, is to do for a community of people, whatever they need to have done, but can not do, at all, or can not, so well do, for themselves -- in their separate, and individual capacities.
-- Abraham Lincoln, Fragment on Government (July 1, 1854)
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby Pretorian » Sat 06 Aug 2011, 21:32:18

another post of yours brought me to this one, i rarely say this, but i'm glad you're here
Pretorian
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby drgoodword » Sat 06 Aug 2011, 22:44:02

A belated hello and welcome to PO.com. Your life story and varied work/study experiences sound like quite an adventure!
drgoodword

Unread postby DomusAlbion » Sat 06 Aug 2011, 22:48:10

You are welcome here Alan. I like your outlook and writing style.
"Modern Agriculture is the use of land to convert petroleum into food."
-- Albert Bartlett

"It will be a dark time. But for those who survive, I suspect it will be rather exciting."
-- James Lovelock
DomusAlbion
Expert
Expert

Unread postby John_A » Tue 09 Aug 2011, 00:43:16

homeboy wrote:Hello Peakers!

Peakers? This is a political discussion website, haven't you noticed? :lol:

Welcome anyway. So do you believe Obama is innocent of peak oil, knew about it and didn't tell anyone so he could profit by it, or helped plan it during his ACORN days, and caused it to happen after he became Prez?
45ACP: For when you want to send the very best.
John_A
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Greetings from the desert...........

Unread postby mamalu » Sun 21 Aug 2011, 15:17:22

Been aware of peak oil for quite a few years.....
Because of that fact...
I have saved my sanity,
saved myself from useless endeavors
and not lost much money in the rigged money system...
but can we save ourselves from a corporate takeover of our country and the world.
I keep hearing the big sucking sound of all we have being extracted.
mamalu
Wood
Wood

Re: Greetings from the desert...........

Unread postby RedStateGreen » Tue 23 Aug 2011, 22:58:45

Welcome! :)
efarmer wrote:"Taste the sizzling fury of fajita skillet death you marauding zombie goon!"

First thing to ask: Cui bono?
RedStateGreen
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Re: Hello.... during interesting times!

Unread postby bella10388 » Fri 26 Aug 2011, 21:14:00

Hello, I am new too, I like this forum! I think I will make lot of friends here :)
bella10388
Wood
Wood

Re: Hello.... during interesting times!

Unread postby timmac » Sat 27 Aug 2011, 02:34:39

pstarr wrote:I am zookeeper. I watch many things. Ladies pocketbooks and ostrich boots.

[smilie=bduh.gif]
timmac
Permanently Banned

PreviousNext

Return to Welcome