NEW! Members Only Forums!

Access more articles, news & discussion by becoming a PeakOil.com Member.
Register Today...
It's FREE!

QUOTE O’ THE DAY

"It is not possible to continue infinite consumption and infinite population growth on a finite planet.”
-- Michael Ruppert, WSJ, 4/11/09

Login

Peak Oil is You

donate bitcoins ;-) or paypal :-)

THE "Telling Others About Peak Oil" Thread pt 2 (merged)

General discussions of the systemic, societal and civilisational effects of depletion.

Moderator: Pops

Re: Educating the muscle car masses?

Unread postby Fishman » Thu 12 May 2011, 12:42:01

Sorry, experience wil be the best and only education for most.
Obama, the FUBAR presidency's second term
Fishman
Fission
Fission

Unread postby ColossalContrarian » Thu 12 May 2011, 13:40:38

evilgenius wrote:Wow, that's cool, I'm in Denver too. I can vouch for the really cheap prices seen around here in '08 for muscle cars and trucks. Many had for sales signs on them for prices way below what the blue book said.

Yeah that is cool, we need to have a peakoil barbque around here sometime!

It can be tough deciding on a car in Colorado too because most of the time I do city travel and my Altima gets 27-32 miles per gallon but when I go up to the cabin in Silver Plume I need 4 wheel drive and good clearance. We have a Scout in the mountains but getting to it can be a bitch and there's no way that thing will do 55mph on the highway so it's reserved for plowing snow and getting deeper back in the high country.
ColossalContrarian
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby AgentR11 » Sat 14 May 2011, 12:00:37

Read through there a bit, what struck me as odd was the number of people that were obviously not just blindly filling up; but even going so far as to be thinking thoughts like, 'Maybe I can afford to put $20 in her today...'.

I just don't get why all those folks who are obviously economically stressed, would choose to feed a toy that furthers enhances their economic stress! Then they make a derisive comment about bicycles, as if they would die horribly if they rode their bicycle to work. A very different mindset I suppose. Gonna suck to be them at $10/gal gasoline.

It does make me cherish my 20mpg small pickup!! WOOT! Maybe I'll give it a bath...

not.
Yes we are, as we are,
And so shall we remain,
Until the end.
AgentR11
Fission
Fission

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Sat 14 May 2011, 16:16:39

AgentR11 wrote:I just don't get why all those folks who are obviously economically stressed, would choose to feed a toy that furthers enhances their economic stress! Then they make a derisive comment about bicycles, as if they would die horribly if they rode their bicycle to work. A very different mindset I suppose. Gonna suck to be them at $10/gal gasoline.

And it's not like a bicycle is the only answer. What about a ten year old Corolla? What about a bus? About Carpooling? About moving closer to work or changing jobs if you live, say, over 40 miles from work?

But no, such suggestions get embraced with all the warmth of dry ice. Too bad it will probably take the serious economic slap in the noggin to wake them up. Then, of course, it will be everyone else's fault...
Outcast_Searcher
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby nightmonkey17 » Sat 14 May 2011, 17:49:22

Money talks louder than words. When prices begin to skyrocket people will begin to change their consumer demand to efficiency over power and size and all the other meaningless attributes American car elitists want. Many won't want to change, some will be FORCED to change due to simple mathematics. You can't pay for something you don't have the money for.

Car elitism can be thrown in the trash for the 21st century for all I care. I've head people laugh at me for walking rather than driving. I've had driver shout insults at me from their cars for being a pedestrian. No exaggeration. Good thing I know the last laugh is on them.
nightmonkey17
Coal
Coal

Unread postby vision-master » Sat 14 May 2011, 17:57:15

I went through that muscle car stuff decades ago. B & B, 30 thousands over with TRW pistons 429 Corba Jet SCJ with 3.01 gears. Rev limiter hit @ 6,200 RPM'S. Idle speed wuz about 1,100 RPM's. She wuz one HOT car....... :)

1st gear wuz good til 70 mph, with 3 left to go! :lol:

Hot Rod Lincoln
vision-master

Unread postby Thralen » Sat 14 May 2011, 22:15:03

Another Denverite here (pretty darn close now anyhow, in Conifer just up the 285 corridor. Used to be in Aurora). What is even worse than all the cars around here for sale (muscle, 4X4, and just generally fuel inefficient cars) is that our prices tend to stay below the national average because I-25 is a major route out of the refineries. So figure even more people in other areas selling their fuel inefficient vehicles.

Irritating to me is that in the recent revamping of GM which took out the Saturn line. I have a 2002 Saturn station wagon (needed some hauling capacity for my business, but not enough to get a truck). I get 26 mpg city and 31 mpg highway on it. My wife has one of their SLs (a 1996 I think) that gets about 40 mpg highway. So what did GM do? They did away with the Saturns when they revamped. A made in the USA car with decent gas mileage that didn't cost an arm and a leg. I don't think that can be found any more, can it?

Anyhow, yeah... muscle cars for the middle class/poor are a dying hobby and will continue that way so long as the gas prices stay high.

Thralen
Common sense is not all that common - Twain

Nowadays, common courtesy is even less common than common sense - Me
Thralen
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby MarkJ » Wed 18 May 2011, 07:38:45

Muscle Cars used to be popular when I was a kid, but these days people tend to spend their money on 4WD trucks, SUVs, boats, waverunners, motorcycles, snowmobiles, quads etc.

I buy and sell vehicles and toys, but surprisingly, they're aren't many bargains although gas is over $4 per gallon locally.

Many people just don't have enough garage space for more vehicles, toys and equipment.
MarkJ
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Maddog78 » Wed 18 May 2011, 09:44:19

Muscle Cars used to be popular when I was a kid

Hmmm, depends on what circles you run in I suppose.
Ever heard of the Barrett-Jackson auctions?

A lot of my friends and neighbours (late 40's, early 50's) are still really in to them.
3 recent purchases of 3 of my friends all within the last 2 months.
1968 Pontiac GTO
1968 Chevelle SS
1966 Oldsmobile Convertible
Maddog78
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby vision-master » Wed 18 May 2011, 11:43:15

an those things will go on the wayside like the Model T's have.

Muscle car's, Boomer's last wet dreams, overpriced old junk. :lol:
vision-master

Unread postby pstarr » Wed 18 May 2011, 12:11:35

vision-master wrote:an those things will go on the wayside like the Model T's have.

Muscle car's, Boomer's last wet dreams, overpriced old junk. :lol:
Really. What's the point? You can't even go muddin' in them.

Yikes!
pstarr
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Maddog78 » Thu 19 May 2011, 10:22:18

I don't discuss peak oil with my friends that are into muscle cars.
No point. They love them. Heck, I still like them, too.
They are buying the cars they wanted when they were kids and can now afford them.
They are not alone. Like I said, check out a Barrett Jackson auction some time.
Still a lot of lust out there for '65-'71 muscle cars.
Maddog78
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby pstarr » Thu 19 May 2011, 11:04:21

Maddog78 wrote:Still a lot of lust out there for '65-'71 muscle cars.
Not coincidentally when the Japanese compact invasion began in earnest. In 1966 I convinced my dad to buy a Mercury Comet Caliente (hot!) with a small bore 8 cylinder engine (289cu). In the early 1970's my tastes changed (I became a conscious human ) and I got my first car--a piece of sh#t Opel Kadet. Never looked back. The classy girls (~"snookie") wouldn't be caught dead in them, they were for "greasers," Jersey Shore Guys. (The "Situation" oils himself while gazing on their visage.) Funny thing is Muscle Cars morphed into Muscle Guys in the 1980's. Kinky stuff :razz:
Yikes!
pstarr
Expert
Expert

Unread postby GASMON » Thu 19 May 2011, 14:26:49

Yank cars - all wind & piss.

Get a REAL muscle car, and learn how to drive it !!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSlkKO-E ... re=related

Gas
The truth is sometimes incorrect
GASMON
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Nefarious » Thu 19 May 2011, 15:14:39

Gasmon Baby.....Only in a JEEP!!

It's a JEEP THING!
'By the pricking of my thumbs,Something Wicked This Way Comes."
Nefarious
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby GASMON » Thu 19 May 2011, 15:35:10

Well I have to say it, before someone else does.

The TVR (and many other Brit cars) has a highly modified & tuned Rover V8.

Now this V8 is (next to the Jag XK6 cyl) probably the best engine ever built in the UK. But -----

I'ts an ex-yank Buick design !!!!!!!!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rover_V8_engine

Enjoy them while you can. Have you heard the current fiat / mitsubishi 3 cylinder shyte ???!!! Gawd help us - I'd sooner walk.

Gas
GASMON
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Maddog78 » Fri 20 May 2011, 07:45:29

Ahh, British cars. The thing to drive if you absolutely don't give a shit about resale value.

Trying to sell your 5 yr. old Jag or Range Rover?
That price you have in your mind?
Cut it in half. There we go, it might move now. :-D
Maddog78
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby GASMON » Fri 20 May 2011, 08:58:39

Maddog 78 - Nobody in their right mind (unless they have LOADS of money) buys a new brit (or any other) prestige car - yes, your correct - depreciation is a key factor.

BUT - buy a good used s/hand car, look after it and it may even make you a small profit. TVR's appreciate (no longer made after the new toyboy Russian boy owner f****d up the company. Jag sports cars a good buy these days, though not for everyday use. My next door neighbor has just retired, bought a really nice 10 year old 3 litre Jag saloon for £1200. Fully stamped service book, 80,000 miles on the clock. This was a £30,000 car when new.

In 1982 I bought a 1973 Rover 3.5 litre V8 (yes, the above mentioned engine) for £850. Looked after it - allways garaged, just use it summer weekends. I still have it, never spent too much on it over the years, now worth around £3500 - £4000. Yes, a 1973 BRITISH LEYLAND Rover, complete with lucas (prince of darkness !!) electrics.

Big new cars are a waste of money, buy a small new one or big old 'un.

Like others say, all cars will be redundant sometime soon.

Gas
GASMON
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby z28colt » Fri 20 May 2011, 09:44:00

I've been reading this board since 2004, though I rarely post. I also agree with the idea of Peak Oil. However, I've also owned a V8 Camaro since 99. Anyway, I'm a bit confused by the bashing of the new muscle cars. Has anyone looked at the mpg ratings? No they are not as good as a focus or a prius, but they are a lot better than the 20 mpg small pickup truck that an earlier poster was bragging about. If you want to bash mpg, I think you need to stick with the full frame SUV's weighing 5k lbs or more.

Besides, haven't we already determined that it takes as much oil to make the car as the car burns in its life?
z28colt
Coal
Coal

Unread postby graham » Fri 20 May 2011, 11:15:45

If you think thats funny you should see the responses to my posts on citydata.
graham
Coal
Coal

PreviousNext

Return to Peak Oil Discussion