Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Plague or The Black Death

Discussions related to the physiological and psychological effects of peak oil on our members and future generations.

Is plague really carried on the wind?

Unread postby cmlek » Fri 09 Sep 2005, 11:39:16

This should perhaps go under Current Events, but I saw an article out from New Orleans (see summary below) that got me thinking: I can provide clean water and sanitary conditions for myself and my family, but what do you do about all those that can't, and come through carrying disease? Do you try and help them? Do you shoot them before they can get near you? Do you try to keep on the run ahead of the new disease du jour?

I haven't really thought this far ahead, and I'm curious to see what thoughts you guys have. I'm somewhat monkish by nature, preferring to just have a small group of friends and hang out away from everyone else. And while that has worked so far in my life, I have to consider a future where people start seeking "us" out again, but I'm mentally ill-equipped to consider it without reverting back to high school geeks vs. jocks mentality.

Peace.
Melissa

P.S. Article:
http://thememoryblog.org/archives/000588.html

A quick summary of the article:
There are several infectious disease and bioweapon research labs in and around NOLA. Some of these labs have been flooded out, and many of the cages with their research animals are outside. What has happened to all this disease? Are dead animals floating in the water? Have the vials and samples been stolen? Have they been washed into the water? No one knows so far, but the author would like to.
Last edited by Ferretlover on Tue 06 Oct 2009, 10:26:49, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Moved to Medical Issues forum.
cmlek
Peat
Peat

Re: Is plague really carried on the wind?

Unread postby Ludi » Fri 09 Sep 2005, 12:37:04

Most diseases are transmitted by contact, such as contact with contaminated water, or transmission by animals such as fleas (in the case of plague) or rodents (Hantavirus). Only if there is a dispersal agent, as with powdered or aerosol Anthrax, can diseases be easily transmitted by the wind, as far as I know...
Ludi

Unread postby Aaron » Fri 09 Sep 2005, 12:54:44

Air borne disease vectors don't last long enough to be a real threat.

They kill the hosts too quickly to continue spreading effectively.

The deadly diseases don't kill everyone, or infect everyone rapidly, giving their hosts time to spread them around. (& kill many more)
The problem is, of course, that not only is economics bankrupt, but it has always been nothing more than politics in disguise... economics is a form of brain damage.

Hazel Henderson
Aaron
Resting in Peace

Unread postby WhistleWind » Fri 09 Sep 2005, 12:59:19

Plague comes in different forms. One form is a respiratory disease.
We all exhale minute particles of water when we breath, cough or sneeze. They can hang in the air in confined spaces for many minutes. These can contain the virus particles which transmit the
disease. TB is also spread this way, as is influenza. This makes airliners
(which typically recycle air 7 times through the cabin before flushing it ) a very good place to get sick.
WhistleWind
Wood
Wood

Bubonic plague in Denver USA! animals dead

Unread postby KevO » Tue 22 May 2007, 07:15:19

WTF?? 8O

A Denver Zoo monkey has died of bubonic plague, apparently after eating a squirrel stricken with the disease, Colorado health and zoo officials said on Monday.

Five squirrels and a rabbit found dead on zoo grounds tested positive for the flea-borne disease in recent weeks, Denver Zoo spokeswoman Ana Bowie said.

Zookeepers on May 15 noticed the 8-year-old hooded capuchin monkey was lethargic, and the next day it was found dead in its enclosure. Zoo veterinarians sent tissue samples to a state laboratory where it was determined the animal died of the plague. The death was announced on Monday.

Zoo veterinarian Dave Kenny said that the risk of plague spreading to humans was extremely low but that visitors were being urged to avoid squirrels and rabbits.

avoid them like the plague!

full article

thing is, wasn't bubonic plague wiped out?
and we KNOW how how easy it is for humans to catch thanks to history

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Death

close Denver f***** zoo like now!
Last edited by KevO on Tue 22 May 2007, 07:56:42, edited 1 time in total.
KevO
Expert
Expert

Re: bubonic plague in Denver USA!

Unread postby Madpaddy » Tue 22 May 2007, 07:23:52

Initiate Code Red.

Kill EVERYTHING
Madpaddy
Expert
Expert

Unread postby KevO » Tue 22 May 2007, 07:31:56

Madpaddy wrote:Initiate Code Red. Kill EVERYTHING

bubonic is about as close you'd get to a 28 weeks later scenario and here we are!
KevO
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Ebyss » Tue 22 May 2007, 07:32:43

8O Oh dear.
We've tried nothin' and we're all out of ideas.

I am only one. I can only do what one can do. But what one can do, I will do. -- John Seymour.
Ebyss
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Tanada » Tue 22 May 2007, 07:51:16

Before you go haring off please be aware pestis pestis is endemic in rodent populations in the intermountain west.

Its been that way since the 1850's and it won't be changing any time soon. Learn some history fellahs.
Alfred Tennyson wrote:We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby KevO » Tue 22 May 2007, 07:55:57

Ebyss wrote:Oh dear.

thing is. this is already airborne. Has Denver been closed off yet?
KevO
Expert
Expert

Unread postby lawnchair » Tue 22 May 2007, 08:00:54

Yersinia pestis is widespread though infrequent in rodents of the US Southwest (and much of the subtropics elsewhere). There are always signs in the National Parks in New Mexico explaining that plague was still around, and if you got sick when you went home you should offer it as a possibility to your doctor who might otherwise be unsuspecting.

It's low-enough frequency and rat populations are low enough that it rarely gets into the cities. In any event, it's quite treatable, and at least for now, suffering humans are likely to be in hospital and not re-transmitting the disease through flea vectors.
lawnchair
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby KevO » Tue 22 May 2007, 08:11:55

Why is the US so slow in reacting to a potential disaster. 911, New Orleans, the university shootings and now airborne bubonic plague that is crossing species! At the very least the zoo should be quarantined.
KevO
Expert
Expert

Re: Bubonic plague in Denver USA! animals dead

Unread postby Newsseeker » Tue 22 May 2007, 08:24:21

Just when I thought this summer couldn't get anymore doomer we get this.
Newsseeker
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby gnm » Tue 22 May 2007, 08:46:51

Relax... theres a few cases every year in NM - rarely fatal if you catch it early. Bubonic plague is not "airborne" and can only be passed by the bite of the carrier flea. Although I wouldnt go cleaning wounds or anything without careful precautions. The "airborne" version you are thinking of is pneumonic plague and it occurs in a percentage of bubonic plague infected victims generally when they are near death. Pneumonic plague can then be passed airborne and is very dangerous.

-G :-D
gnm

Unread postby KevO » Tue 22 May 2007, 09:46:27

gnm wrote:Relax... theres a few cases every year in NM - rarely fatal if you catch it early. Bubonic plague is not "airborne" and can only be passed by the bite of the carrier flea. Although I wouldnt go cleaning wounds or anything without careful precautions. The "airborne" version you are thinking of is pneumonic plague and it occurs in a percentage of bubonic plague infected victims generally when they are near death. Pneumonic plague can then be passed airborne and is very dangerous.

-G :-D

yeah but fleas are airborne when not nuzzling :)
KevO
Expert
Expert

Unread postby smallpoxgirl » Tue 22 May 2007, 10:23:36

Yeah. No big deal. Plaque is endemic in ground squirrels in that area. Always has been.
"We were standing on the edges
Of a thousand burning bridges
Sifting through the ashes every day
What we thought would never end
Now is nothing more than a memory
The way things were before
I lost my way" - OCMS
smallpoxgirl
Expert
Expert

Unread postby KevO » Tue 22 May 2007, 13:13:42

smallpoxgirl wrote: Plaque is endemic in ground squirrels in that area. Always has been.

then they should see dentists more often
KevO
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Chaparral » Tue 22 May 2007, 14:59:30

KevO wrote:
smallpoxgirl wrote: Plaque is endemic in ground squirrels in that area. Always has been.

then they should see dentists more often

I agree. I mean, the chubby little fuckers only got two front teeth. How hard is it to brush and floss two teeth? There is no excuse for squirrel plaque. They should be shot, all of 'em!
Chaparral
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby highlander » Tue 22 May 2007, 15:15:50

Come on guys (and gurls) cut the doomers some slack. How can folks have panic attacks when you keep throwing facts at them.
I was hoping to add to the hysteria by speculating the plague came up with the illegals, but you blew that for me.
Well, there is always leporsy
This is where everybody puts profound words written by another...or not so profound words written by themselves
Highlander 2007
highlander
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Next

Return to Medical Issues Forum