Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

PeakOil Bug Report

Having trouble? Is the forum having trouble?

Moderator: admin

Re: PeakOil Bug Report

Unread postby onlooker » Tue 23 Aug 2016, 14:11:29

pstarr wrote:
vox_mundi wrote:Good Luck

I know it's a thankless job but your work is appreciated.

I second that. Thank you very much, Admin.

I third that
"We are mortal beings doomed to die
onlooker
Fission
Fission

Unread postby dolanbaker » Wed 24 Aug 2016, 02:38:24

Here's the error I'm getting.
Code: Select all
Fatal error: SQL ERROR [ mysql4 ]

User j5f1d5a9_peakoil already has more than 'max_user_connections' active connections [1203]

An sql error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact an administrator if this problem persists. in /home3/j5f1d5a9/public_html/forums/includes/db/dbal.php on line 707
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by rulers as useful.:Anonymous
Our whole economy is based on planned obsolescence.
Hungrymoggy "I am now predicting that Europe will NUKE ITSELF sometime in the first week of January"
dolanbaker
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Cid_Yama » Thu 25 Aug 2016, 03:26:48

Admin admitted it's screwed. Old software not supported by the new server. Which probably means major downtime and a whole new look with new software, and I'll bet they are trying to figure out how to do this without losing everything.

C'est la vie.
"For my part, whatever anguish of spirit it may cost, I am willing to know the whole truth; to know the worst and provide for it." - Patrick Henry

The level of injustice and wrong you endure is directly determined by how much you quietly submit to. Even to the point of extinction.
Cid_Yama
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby admin » Thu 25 Aug 2016, 08:27:38

Here is an update on why this website has gone down so much this week.

On Monday, I made an emergency server move to a setup that works for my test/dev website: peakoil.biz

The new hosting setup could not handle real load and it died with the mySQL max connections error that most people have seen at some point this week.

Last night, I attempted to moved again to a server that was suppose to be better, and eliminate this error. That server failed, but I have some work-around and it should be more stable now.

During times of heavy load, our server is going to fail again with mySQL errors.
If you keep getting logged out, please try Chrome in Incognito mode.

Anyway, I will eventually move this site to a better server, and thank everyone for their patience.
admin
l33t
l33t

Unread postby onlooker » Thu 25 Aug 2016, 09:26:14

Thanks for the hard work administrator. Your efforts are greatly appreciated by I am sure more than a few here
onlooker
Fission
Fission

Unread postby rockdoc123 » Thu 25 Aug 2016, 09:47:01

still have the problem of being logged out when trying to access member view whether I am using Chrome in incognito mode or any other browser.
Also now have to enter my user name and password every time I go to the site.

Not a lot of people trying to access at this point either so doubt that is the problem.
rockdoc123
Expert
Expert

Unread postby KaiserJeep » Thu 25 Aug 2016, 14:43:49

There is of course, more going on here than a misbehaving or inadequate SQL server. I'm a hardware engineer, but even I can tell that.

Firstly, the PO.com Forum is spending a lot of time in the offline cache versus really being online. Perhaps this is the appropriate and even cost-efficient approach to forum operations on the now less-popular PO.com forum, keeping it on a virtual server that brings it online when accessed. Thus the initial delay when you first access the server as it is fetched from cache.

However the caching is too agressive. Most or all of us have had the frustrating experience of spending minutes or even tens of minutes in the offline editor and then having our prose swallowed up by the server SQL error when you post.

Add to that frustration the constant stream of SQL errors we are getting now from the database, which have kicked over another problem. The exception handling routines used by the forum application are very poor, and don't respond soon enough when the application is cached offline. This is my guess about the conniptions we are all experiencing now.

When running on a newer and faster server, this second problem will likely be masked but it will still be present. When the database issues are resolved, somebody needs to follow up on the application bugs we have encountered, and the vender of the application needs to fix these.

The available worarounds are not very enjoyable. I created these paragraphs in an offline text editor in case I have to try more than once to post them.
KaiserJeep 2.0, Neural Subnode 0010 0000 0001 0110 - 1001 0011 0011, Tertiary Adjunct to Unimatrix 0000 0000 0001

Resistance is Futile, YOU will be Assimilated.

Warning: Messages timestamped before April 1, 2016, 06:00 PST were posted by the unmodified human KaiserJeep 1.0
KaiserJeep
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby ennui2 » Thu 25 Aug 2016, 16:30:05

Cid_Yama wrote:Admin admitted it's screwed. Old software not supported by the new server. Which probably means major downtime and a whole new look with new software, and I'll bet they are trying to figure out how to do this without losing everything.

C'est la vie.

This site performed like shit 10 years ago when there was a fair amount of traffic and it performs even shittier with next to no traffic.

At this point maybe it would be better to just redirect to a yahoogroup or some other free hosting and be done with it.
"If the oil price crosses above the Etp maximum oil price curve within the next month, I will leave the forum." --SumYunGai (9/21/2016)
ennui2
Permanently Banned

Unread postby evilgenius » Fri 26 Aug 2016, 11:17:26

It still looks like a programming over a server error. For instance, when I clicked on this forum to view it, in the Member View, while looking at the first page I saw in the section to the left of the posts the log-in prompt instead of my avatar image and welcome greeting. Then, when I clicked to go to the second page, I saw my avatar image and welcome greeting. It acts like the session has set the cookie, but certain partial views have got something wrong in not recognizing the user level setting as appropriate to allow them to function as one would expect. It acts like the user level that is set is inappropriate to allow that. Before, this behavior was rampant. Now, it is more confined.

MySQL is practically the backbone of the internet. I can't see how you could have a problem migrating the old server instance to a new one, unless there is some kind of version conflict or setting gone wrong in the new setup. If the old server is still up you can export a sql script that will capture the entire site. Depending upon what type the old instance was, innodb or whatever, you can also copy the pertinent files over and put them into the proper places in the new instance as well. The files go into different places depending upon which type you are dealing with. You have to get them all as well, or you will only capture a portion of the information, like tables only, but table names only and no columns, or no data. Strangely, I was just looking up this very issue the other day for something I had to deal with on my own localhost, after upgrading to foul Windows 10. I found the answer using Mr. Google. My problem was I had already set up some other database instances for some other projects on the new server, and the innodb stuff I used to set them up is all in one file. I couldn't migrate the old instance with a file swap or my new stuff wouldn't be there. With just one database instance to worry about you shouldn't have that problem, though. However, since there is something of the history of the site here, it looks like you did get around that with no problems. I just offer that as a reassurance that you don't need to abandon MySQL. There is a config thing in MySQL where you can enable so many connections. I've seen it I don't know how many times when I've been poking around, but I was always doing something else. That could be what you have to do.
evilgenius
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby vox_mundi » Fri 26 Aug 2016, 11:28:06

Forum Posts Member View Works!

Thank You Admin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nl4sCOzr9U4
“There are three classes of people: those who see. Those who see when they are shown. Those who do not see.” ― Leonardo da Vinci

Insensible before the wave so soon released by callous fate. Affected most, they understand the least, and understanding, when it comes, invariably arrives too late.
vox_mundi
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby KaiserJeep » Fri 26 Aug 2016, 12:43:07

I notice that all the political BS threads about Clinton, Trump, the Republicrats and the Demicans are gone. I say good riddance, they were off topic at PO.com anyways.
KaiserJeep 2.0, Neural Subnode 0010 0000 0001 0110 - 1001 0011 0011, Tertiary Adjunct to Unimatrix 0000 0000 0001

Warning: Messages timestamped before April 1, 2016, 06:00 PST were posted by the unmodified human KaiserJeep 1.0
KaiserJeep
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby KaiserJeep » Fri 26 Aug 2016, 12:45:21

Nor is there any editing button for a post just made anymores. Everybody do a manual spell check before posting...

KaiserJeep
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby vox_mundi » Fri 26 Aug 2016, 12:48:24

KaiserJeep wrote:Nor is there any editing button for a post just made anymores. Everybody do a manual spell check before posting...

KJ? Editing Button Works fine for me.
“There are three classes of people: those who see. Those who see when they are shown. Those who do not see.” ― Leonardo da Vinci

Insensible before the wave so soon released by callous fate. Affected most, they understand the least, and understanding, when it comes, invariably arrives too late.
vox_mundi
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby rockdoc123 » Fri 26 Aug 2016, 13:20:00

good job admin folks!
give yourselfs an immediate raise!! :razz:
rockdoc123
Expert
Expert

Unread postby davep » Fri 26 Aug 2016, 13:24:29

Just seen this. Good luck Dan. If you need any help, you have my email.
What we think, we become.
davep
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Unread postby davep » Fri 26 Aug 2016, 13:29:39

It may be missing a few features, but it's massively faster. All hail the shiny new server!
What we think, we become.
davep
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Unread postby onlooker » Fri 26 Aug 2016, 13:40:55

[smilie=5thanks.gif]
onlooker
Fission
Fission

Unread postby vox_mundi » Sat 27 Aug 2016, 12:29:00

Aw shucks; Efforts to Add New Topic in Members sections fail due to LogIn request cycle bouncing back to PO Forums page (endless loop)

vox_mundi
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Previous

Return to Technical Support