Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Peak Oil: The Tip of the Iceberg

General discussions of the systemic, societal and civilisational effects of depletion.

Is peak oil the tip of the iceberg?

Yes, it is a symptom of a greater disease.
84%
No, it is just a stepping stone in energy history.
16%

Total votes : 231

Re: Peak Oil: The Tip of the Iceberg

Unread postby EnergyUnlimited » Wed 04 Jul 2007, 09:29:19

RdSnt wrote:I would truly hope that we can maintain some connection to advanced technology, so that we can populate the rest of the solar system.

Yep, we will achieve it with old rusting electricity generator, which will survive coming turmoil.

Anyway I cannot localise any suitable place in Solar System, which we possibly could populate...
Nearest such place may well be few thousands (or millions...) light years away.

I do not believe we should go backwards, retreat to some balanced harmony with nature shit.

But we are just about to begin that journey...

We will die out completely if we pursue that path.

We will die out in any case, albeit if we don't pursue that way we will die out faster...

I believe we need to move beyond this planet and expand our capabilities.

So take your rocket and move...

Our sensible route off the planet is with space elevators. Not at all science fiction, they are currently being developed and are a practical solution.

Some investor fraud schemes are always available.
You may pick one of them.
Realistically any space elevators are non starters because materials necessary to make such constructions simply don't exist and cannot be made by the same.
EnergyUnlimited
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby RdSnt » Wed 04 Jul 2007, 11:16:23

EnergyUnlimited wrote:Realistically any space elevators are non starters because materials necessary to make such constructions simply don't exist and cannot be made by the same.

Hahah! famous last words;
"Everything has already been invented"
"Going faster than sound is impossible"
"64 bytes should be enough for anyone"

Nobody is selling anything, it's just research.

http://www.elevator2010.org/
Gravity is not a force, it is a boundary layer.
Everything is coincident.
Love: the state of suspended anticipation.
To get any appreciable distance from the Earth in
a sensible amount of time, you must lie.
RdSnt
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby MonteQuest » Thu 26 Jun 2008, 00:45:43

Bumped up for the newbies to the site.
A Saudi saying, "My father rode a camel. I drive a car. My son flies a jet-plane. His son will ride a camel."
MonteQuest
Expert
Expert

Unread postby MonteQuest » Tue 08 Jul 2008, 19:52:26

For all those who say I never post about solutions.
A Saudi saying, "My father rode a camel. I drive a car. My son flies a jet-plane. His son will ride a camel."
MonteQuest
Expert
Expert

Unread postby dinopello » Tue 23 Sep 2008, 08:50:39

Salt Shortage !

A shortage of road salt and skyrocketing salt prices could mean slippery roads this winter in communities across the nation as officials struggle to keep pavement clear of snow and ice without breaking their budgets.

And, wow there are a lot of forum topics on "Peak Everything".
dinopello
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby allenwrench » Tue 23 Sep 2008, 09:42:13

MonteQuest wrote:Is peak oil the "tip of the iceberg?"

How many see peak oil as a symptom of a greater disease? ?

The main problem is we have built our society on steroids. We have built an artificial, non sustainable model for our world. There is not much alternative either way when it comes to billions of people.

Do we make gargantuan hell hole cities and pile every one in these concrete high rise monsters? Or spread the people out and use some fuel to cart em around?

Either way we are sunk.

I posted about population control to another group and one responder commented "if eating babies is right I want to be wrong."

Well, I have no answer as to how to go about pop control, but I can see we have too many people in our world for the limited resources that are available.

If the world was a perfect entity, no, the gov should not dictate pop control...but we are far from perfect.

Our future existence on this planet will demand some form of pop control, but I think nature will take care of that problem in the not so distant future.

The public just won't not go for pop control...too UN-American...goes against our religious upbringings...too controversial and all of the rest. I can hear the cries now...Communist!...Atheist!...Baby Killer....Hitler....Impeach the President!!!!

I think nature will help us humans out with that hard decision - for nature does not discriminate nor find the truth too controversial or provocative or opinionated to be true. And in the end, nature will settle the dispute of population control with even handed justice by removing excess population just as it does with all its species, ever reminding us all that nature does not bow to man...it is always man that bows to nature.
allenwrench
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby allenwrench » Tue 23 Sep 2008, 09:46:22

MonteQuest wrote:For all those who say I never post about solutions.

Nothing wrong with that.

Realizing and defining the problem is 50% of the battle.

No one says that one person has to do it all.

And it is not written down anywhere that all problems we human face can be solved by the human ego either.
allenwrench
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Subjectivist » Wed 05 Aug 2015, 18:11:08

seldom_seen wrote:The downslope of hubberts peak will humble many people to the bone. It will shake them to the core. They will question everything they thought they knew. Many people's ego and identity will be shattered and in pieces. Some may never recover. Many will die.

What I love about nature it that it is warm and tender but at the same cruel and indifferent. It provides everything we need to live a happy healthy life, but doesn't give a flying poop what happens to us. We have gotten so far out of balance a correction is in order. It is just the way things work. Sorry, there's no space capsules waiting for a hasty escape. "You're runing and you're running and you're running away, but you can't run away from yourself." The tide ebbs and flows, our narcissism and arrogance will be rewarded with humility and suffering. Maybe some day we will find a middle ground?

I'm sick and disgusted at seeing every forest and green field around me bulldozed and paved over for condos and shopping malls. Endless growth is a terminal disease that ends in death. What will people eat? parking lots? Will they eat the composite siding off of their new condo?

You can't have your cake and destroy it too.

I was reading Jared's Diamonds Collapse last night. He was discussing being at the quarry on Easter Island where they made all the statues. Many statues stand half finished with tools scattered about the quarry. As if one day everyone just got up and walked off the job.

Systems breakdown does not follow a a smooth logarithmic curve. One day we might all be sitting back enjoying a cold one debating when and if the peak will occur. The next day we could wake up in a completely different world.

This fascinating lecture is about 25 min long about the difference between how a scientist understands exponential endless growth.
https://youtu.be/o_8b6ej0U3g
II Chronicles 7:14 if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.
Subjectivist
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby ROCKMAN » Thu 06 Aug 2015, 04:08:14

"The downslope of hubberts peak will humble many people to the bone." I doubt it. LOL. The production profile for oil wells, oil fields, oil trends, oil producing regions, etc exhibit the same asymmetry: the decline side of the production rate curve isn't as steep as the increasing side of the bell curve. FYI: a "bell curve" doesn't have to be symmetric to be a bell curve. Mother Earth very rarely allows a symetric distribution.

I'm not saying how steep the backside will or won't be. Just that the decline will be much slower than the increase. And that won't begin until we slide off the undulating plateau.
ROCKMAN
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Keith_McClary » Thu 06 Aug 2015, 23:50:37

ROCKMAN wrote: The production profile for oil wells, oil fields, oil trends, oil producing regions, etc exhibit the same asymmetry: the decline side of the production rate curve isn't as steep as the increasing side of the bell curve.
Sometimes.
Facebook knows you're a dog.
Keith_McClary
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby StarvingLion » Fri 07 Aug 2015, 02:06:05

The House of Saud is Collapsing

“Saudi Arabia plans $27bn in bond issues”

http://www.ft.com/intl/cms/s/0/e9e197fe ... z3hzfNyMYn
Outcast_Searcher is a fraud.
StarvingLion
Permanently Banned

Unread postby Tanada » Fri 07 Aug 2015, 11:23:32

StarvingLion wrote:The House of Saud is Collapsing

For a country producing over 3 BILLION bbl/y that works out to less than a $10.00/bbl increase in the average sale price of oil over the life of the bonds. Chump change IOW.
Alfred Tennyson wrote:We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Timo » Fri 07 Aug 2015, 11:39:46

Tanada wrote:

For a country producing over 3 BILLION bbl/y that works out to less than a $10.00/bbl increase in the average sale price of oil over the life of the bonds. Chump change IOW.

They are playing a dangerous game, but the idea is to allow themselves to stay afloat longer than anyone else in the oil game. These bonds can easily kill off a lesser financed nation's ability to produce at substantially lower prices, with substantially lower ROI. SA isn't goin broke. They're just making sure that everyone else does. Last one standing wins control of pretty much everything.
Timo

Unread postby Subjectivist » Fri 07 Aug 2015, 15:20:18

Timo wrote:
Tanada wrote:

They are playing a dangerous game, but the idea is to allow themselves to stay afloat longer than anyone else in the oil game. These bonds can easily kill off a lesser financed nation's ability to produce at substantially lower prices, with substantially lower ROI. SA isn't goin broke. They're just making sure that everyone else does. Last one standing wins control of pretty much everything.

Generally speaking the last one standing wins and those that fall lose.
II Chronicles 7:14 if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.
Subjectivist
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby ROCKMAN » Sun 09 Aug 2015, 00:43:17

pstarr - Are you saying N Sea production will decline as fast or faster then it increased? Is that what you mean by plumit? Be a dear on ost the N Sea oil production curve so we can all see it. BTW from 2 days ago:

Oil & Gas
North Sea production expected to rise to highest level next month
Industry news . Written by Energy reporter - 07/08/2015 2:42 pm

North Sea oil production will rise to its highest level so far this year in September, up 5.6 percent on August at 1.988 million barrels per day (bpd), according to loading schedules. These large volumes are likely to pressure North Sea price differentials and weigh on Brent crude futures LCOc1, which are trading below $50 a barrel due to a global supply glut
ROCKMAN
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Tanada » Sun 09 Aug 2015, 08:20:22

ROCKMAN wrote:Oil & Gas
North Sea production expected to rise to highest level next month
Industry news . Written by Energy reporter - 07/08/2015 2:42 pm

North Sea oil production will rise to its highest level so far this year in September, up 5.6 percent on August at 1.988 million barrels per day (bpd), according to loading schedules. These large volumes are likely to pressure North Sea price differentials and weigh on Brent crude futures LCOc1, which are trading below $50 a barrel due to a global supply glut

That is very deceptive headline writing, the casual reader would think the North Sea was producing more oil than ever before. In objective terms it is producing one third (35 percent) of what it was producing in 2000, just 15 years ago.
Alfred Tennyson wrote:We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby ROCKMAN » Mon 10 Aug 2015, 09:14:29

T- But it got your attention, eh? LOL. Back to the point: symmetric bell shaped curves. It took UK N Sea production 9 years to go from zero to more than 2.6 million bopd. It then took 16 years to fall from 2.6 million bopd to around 1 million bopd. The current projection pegs it at 500k bopd by 2020.

So again back to the original topic: symmetric vs asymmetric bell shaped curves. Or cliff vs non-cliff. So 9 years to go from zero to 2.6 million bopd and a projected 21 years to drop but only to 500k bopd. That is not a “cliff”. In fact, it’s far from even being symmetric. And so again I won’t guess what the global oil production curve plot would be looking back in 30 or 40 years. But it won’t be sysmetric and it certainly won’t be a “cliff”. The closest we may see to such symmetry might be the US shale trends but given the many thousands of low rate strippers it won’t be symmetric either.
ROCKMAN
Expert
Expert

Previous

Return to Peak Oil Discussion