Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal


PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Peak oil and kids

General discussions of the systemic, societal and civilisational effects of depletion.

Re: Peak oil and kids

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Thu 02 Mar 2017, 14:38:31

Tikib wrote:Your statements show exactly why human life needs to end. Life is a blood sport where all the competitors die in pain.

So by that philosophy, there should be no life, period.

Just look at anywhere life is abundant in a natural setting, and it's clear that life IS a competitive sport. Each species and each individual, overall, fights the best it can for its own best interest. And evolution very likely "encourages" that trait over time, as the most successful individuals have the most surviving offspring.

You're entitled to your opinion, but with respect that's completely defeatist and impractical, IMO.

(In a universe with no constraints, no suffering, etc. everything could be benign. Unfortunately that's not what we have. I'd prefer we recognize that, and do the best we can. (For example, humans could decide to offer better CHOICES of ending human life with less pain and emotional trauma, just as many kind humans do for their house pets. But as a society, IMO, we largely ignore that, which given the cost in $ physical and emotional suffering, is stupidity of epic proportions). Each to their own.)
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB
 
Posts: 4077
Joined: Sat 27 Jun 2009, 20:26:42

Re: Peak oil and kids

Unread postby Tikib » Thu 02 Mar 2017, 14:41:15

Nothing wrong the government, wrong with the reality we find ourselves in. Its heavily bias towards suffering. If the human race was actually smart it would have ended itself a long time ago.
Tikib
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude
 
Posts: 330
Joined: Mon 08 Dec 2014, 02:13:28

Re: Peak oil and kids

Unread postby Tikib » Thu 02 Mar 2017, 14:43:37

Outcast_Searcher wrote:
Tikib wrote:Your statements show exactly why human life needs to end. Life is a blood sport where all the competitors die in pain.

So by that philosophy, there should be no life, period.

Just look at anywhere life is abundant in a natural setting, and it's clear that life IS a competitive sport. Each species and each individual, overall, fights the best it can for its own best interest. And evolution very likely "encourages" that trait over time, as the most successful individuals have the most surviving offspring.

You're entitled to your opinion, but with respect that's completely defeatist and impractical, IMO.

(In a universe with no constraints, no suffering, etc. everything could be benign. Unfortunately that's not what we have. I'd prefer we recognize that, and do the best we can. (For example, humans could decide to offer better CHOICES of ending human life with less pain and emotional trauma, just as many kind humans do for their house pets. But as a society, IMO, we largely ignore that, which given the cost in $ physical and emotional suffering, is stupidity of epic proportions). Each to their own.)


yes we should end animal life too, its bias towards suffering as a well. Consider the difference in suffering/pleasure between an animal eating another animal. Life is a bad thing and it always will be, its a reality of the universe we find ourselves.
Tikib
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude
 
Posts: 330
Joined: Mon 08 Dec 2014, 02:13:28

Re: Peak oil and kids

Unread postby Cog » Thu 02 Mar 2017, 15:27:10

@Tikib

Why haven't you killed yourself? I'm not encouraging you to do so, but with your attitude why haven't you? What exactly are you sticking around for if there is no joy in life?
User avatar
Cog
Anti-Matter
Anti-Matter
 
Posts: 9496
Joined: Sat 17 May 2008, 02:00:00
Location: Metro-East Illinois

Re: Peak oil and kids

Unread postby Tikib » Thu 02 Mar 2017, 15:30:11

I said earlier, I am planning too. But I believe that life is fundamentally a bad thing and I want to stop other people having to go through the suffering I have been through.

Furthermore I suffer from extremely bad thanatophobia, the thought of nonexistence terrfies me even though I also hate existing. I din't ask for any of this, your forced into existence which is part of what makes procreating thoroughly wrong.
Tikib
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude
 
Posts: 330
Joined: Mon 08 Dec 2014, 02:13:28

Re: Peak oil and kids

Unread postby Hawkcreek » Thu 02 Mar 2017, 15:35:46

What kind of changes in your life could make it worth living, in your opinion?
"It don't make no sense that common sense don't make no sense no more"
John Prine
Hawkcreek
Expert
Expert
 
Posts: 1455
Joined: Sun 15 Aug 2004, 02:00:00
Location: Washington State

Re: Peak oil and kids

Unread postby Cog » Thu 02 Mar 2017, 15:38:13

What you are describing is not doomerism in its extreme, but mental illness. You should seek treatment as soon as possible.
User avatar
Cog
Anti-Matter
Anti-Matter
 
Posts: 9496
Joined: Sat 17 May 2008, 02:00:00
Location: Metro-East Illinois

Re: Peak oil and kids

Unread postby Tikib » Thu 02 Mar 2017, 15:39:30

Your forcing people into a brutal highly competitive world, where there aren't enough resources to go around, and in which they doomed to die a likely painful death from the start. And from there point of view anything they achieved in there lives will immediately turn to nothing from there point of view when they die. Life at least for me is the definition of depressing.
Tikib
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude
 
Posts: 330
Joined: Mon 08 Dec 2014, 02:13:28

Re: Peak oil and kids

Unread postby Cog » Thu 02 Mar 2017, 15:43:05

I'm sure there are plenty of agnostics and atheists on this board, who are quite happy to be alive and find happiness, even if they believe in non-existence after death. Although I do believe in an after-life, I see nothing scary about simply ceasing to exist either.
User avatar
Cog
Anti-Matter
Anti-Matter
 
Posts: 9496
Joined: Sat 17 May 2008, 02:00:00
Location: Metro-East Illinois

Re: Peak oil and kids

Unread postby Tikib » Thu 02 Mar 2017, 15:43:50

Cog wrote:What you are describing is not doomerism in its extreme, but mental illness. You should seek treatment as soon as possible.


People like you always want to potray people like me as mentally ill. But from point of view I am the rational one. Our lives our brutal short and futile. Us antinatalists may be in the minority but its a pretty rapidly growing minority.

To see how bad life is all you have to do is look at the suicide statistics. Every single one of those people knows that they are going to die within 100 years anyway and yet they put themsleves through a scary and painful event just to save on having to live out those years. That for me tells you everything you need to know about existence. Its fundamentally wrong.
Last edited by Tikib on Thu 02 Mar 2017, 16:01:58, edited 1 time in total.
Tikib
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude
 
Posts: 330
Joined: Mon 08 Dec 2014, 02:13:28

Re: Peak oil and kids

Unread postby Cog » Thu 02 Mar 2017, 15:47:01

The number of people who commit suicide is very small. Even people in tough circumstances find a way to enjoy our brief time on this ball of rock.

Go take a walk man. Drink a beer. Get laid. Its that simple.
User avatar
Cog
Anti-Matter
Anti-Matter
 
Posts: 9496
Joined: Sat 17 May 2008, 02:00:00
Location: Metro-East Illinois

Re: Peak oil and kids

Unread postby Tikib » Thu 02 Mar 2017, 15:50:25

Cog wrote:I'm sure there are plenty of agnostics and atheists on this board, who are quite happy to be alive and find happiness, even if they believe in non-existence after death. Although I do believe in an after-life, I see nothing scary about simply ceasing to exist either.


The idea of an afterlife is wishful thinking in the extreme. There is no evidence for it whatsoever. And you may not be scared of non existence but I am. And I didn't ask to be human I was forced into it. I'd much rather have never been.
Tikib
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude
 
Posts: 330
Joined: Mon 08 Dec 2014, 02:13:28

Re: Peak oil and kids

Unread postby Tikib » Thu 02 Mar 2017, 15:53:50

Cog wrote:The number of people who commit suicide is very small. Even people in tough circumstances find a way to enjoy our brief time on this ball of rock.

Go take a walk man. Drink a beer. Get laid. Its that simple.


It may be that simple for you but I hate every part of existing.

Suicide is the 10 th leading cause of death in the US. Each year 44,193. Americans die by suicide.
Tikib
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude
 
Posts: 330
Joined: Mon 08 Dec 2014, 02:13:28

Re: Peak oil and kids

Unread postby tita » Fri 03 Mar 2017, 02:51:14

Not having kids because of fear of the future or whatever bad things could happen to them is, IMHO, totally stupid. Your fears are not theirs, your future is not their. Like you did, they'll have to make their path in the world they'll live in. Your job is to guide them, but at some point they'll make their own choices.
User avatar
tita
Tar Sands
Tar Sands
 
Posts: 249
Joined: Fri 10 Jun 2005, 02:00:00

Re: Peak oil and kids

Unread postby Shaved Monkey » Sat 04 Mar 2017, 03:29:12

I didnt have kids through choice.
The future is pretty grim and Im glad I didnt put more humans on the planet to have to play that game
Doesn't mean my life is grim....far from it
The ponzi scheme is still selling hope,the laws of thermodynamics haven't kicked in yet.
The Zombies are still shopping and waiting for America to be great again
Ready to turn Zombies into WWOOFers
User avatar
Shaved Monkey
Fission
Fission
 
Posts: 2098
Joined: Wed 30 Mar 2011, 00:43:28

Re: Peak oil and kids

Unread postby AdamB » Sat 04 Mar 2017, 11:20:01

Shaved Monkey wrote:I didnt have kids through choice.


What? You mean you stayed an innocent virgin your entire life and someone stole you DNA and MADE some for while you weren't looking?

Damn...quite a raw deal.

Shaved Monkey wrote:The future is pretty grim and Im glad I didnt put more humans on the planet to have to play that game
Doesn't mean my life is grim....far from it
The ponzi scheme is still selling hope,the laws of thermodynamics haven't kicked in yet.
The Zombies are still shopping and waiting for America to be great again


Haven't seen any zombies shopping, just the same combo of folks that I have observed shopping since I learned what shopping was, way back when.

And life certainly isn't grim, anyone with a 401k since 2009 knows that. Or who buys gasoline, has owned a home in many metro areas around the country, or all those things that happened since the last claims of draft, fedghettos, resource wars, all the nonsense that peak oil was supposed to have brought on that instead turned into more growth, oil glut, growing stock market, low inflation, and so on and so forth.
Peak oil in 2020: And here is why: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2b3ttqYDwF0
AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer
 
Posts: 3220
Joined: Mon 28 Dec 2015, 16:10:26

Re: Peak oil and kids

Unread postby Tikib » Sat 04 Mar 2017, 17:36:00

Having kids with the spectre of peak oil and climate change hanging over us is wrong.
Tikib
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude
 
Posts: 330
Joined: Mon 08 Dec 2014, 02:13:28

Re: Peak oil and kids

Unread postby Cog » Sat 04 Mar 2017, 17:48:57

I would pay good money to see the movie that is running inside Tikib's head.
User avatar
Cog
Anti-Matter
Anti-Matter
 
Posts: 9496
Joined: Sat 17 May 2008, 02:00:00
Location: Metro-East Illinois

Re: Peak oil and kids

Unread postby pstarr » Sat 04 Mar 2017, 18:23:38

That's right Cog, you take them to Sunday School and convince them that God, Trump and Country has their backs. And when the kids figure out you are full of sh@t . . . then they too will become cynics. Ripe for plucking
Haven't you heard? I'm a doomer!
pstarr
NeoMaster
NeoMaster
 
Posts: 26340
Joined: Mon 27 Sep 2004, 02:00:00
Location: Behind the Redwood Curtain

Re: Peak oil and kids

Unread postby AdamB » Sat 04 Mar 2017, 20:28:04

Tikib wrote:
Cog wrote:The number of people who commit suicide is very small. Even people in tough circumstances find a way to enjoy our brief time on this ball of rock.

Go take a walk man. Drink a beer. Get laid. Its that simple.


It may be that simple for you but I hate every part of existing.


Bummer. Sounds like Cog had it right though. Move to California, and smoke weed until you feel better. You'll be dumber along the way, but maybe then you'll forget hating existence?
Peak oil in 2020: And here is why: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2b3ttqYDwF0
AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer
 
Posts: 3220
Joined: Mon 28 Dec 2015, 16:10:26

PreviousNext

Return to Peak Oil Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 15 guests