Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Passive House Revolution-A Movie

A forum to either submit your own review of a book, video or audio interview, or to post reviews by others.

Passive House Revolution-A Movie

Unread postby eastbay » Tue 13 May 2014, 09:56:13

From the makers of the internationally acclaimed “The Power of Community” comes “Passive House Revolution.” Viewers worldwide were inspired by the story of “The Power of Community” which captured the hope, courage and creativity of the Cuban people as they reinvented their society in the face of limits—especially the end of cheap, subsidized oil, when the country's chief benefactor, the Soviet Union, collapsed.

“Passive House Revolution” gives us hope for the future of the planet and our children as it chronicles a revolutionary development in the way we think about buildings and energy. The film shows us how the buildings around us—which consume half of all the energy in the United States—can be built or retrofitted to use 80 to 90 percent less energy for heating and cooling.

“Passive House Revolution” shows that this intriguing scenario is not only possible but actually starting to unfold. In the film viewers will watch leading-edge architects and builders as they create the first passive house buildings in the United States. Later, satisfied owners describe life in homes that don't require a conventional furnace and yet remain comfortable year round even in cold climates.

And, unlike passive solar homes, which require sunlight at least from time to time, the passive house requires nearly nothing at all, aside from the normal activity of its occupants.

The trailer is here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EN5-MOeB2j4

For more information and to purchase a DVD, visit http://www.passivehouserevolution.org. Those wishing to show the film publicly can do so for a modest screening fee.
Got Dharma?

Everything is Impermanent. Shakyamuni Buddha
eastbay
Expert
Expert

Re: Passive House Revolution-A Movie

Unread postby Pops » Tue 13 May 2014, 10:31:43

Thanks EB, the passivehaus standards are at least as important in my humble opinion as all the other laser-farting unicorns put together.

The real "Solar Revolution" started 5k years ago with the invention of glass and finished up 70 or 80 years ago with the invention of fiberglass insulation.

Everything else is detail, lol
The legitimate object of government, is to do for a community of people, whatever they need to have done, but can not do, at all, or can not, so well do, for themselves -- in their separate, and individual capacities.
-- Abraham Lincoln, Fragment on Government (July 1, 1854)
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby dinopello » Tue 13 May 2014, 11:20:48

Jefferson's Monticello has some nice passive evironmental features. Things as simple as really tall windows with sashes open at the top and bottom to circulate the hot air out and cool in. Strategically placed, correctly chosen trees are also one of te best way to get cooling shade in summer and warming sun in winter. It takes a while to grow if they aren't there already.

This isn't passive, but a guy in my area retrofit his 1920's house with solar+ and is off grid
dinopello
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby sunweb » Tue 13 May 2014, 13:47:38

Here is how we rehabbed a 1940s farm house.
http://sunweber.blogspot.com/2010/10/su ... -2010.html
At the above site you can see the root cellar also. We screwed the roof down so that last summer we took it off and you can see the results here.
http://sunweber.blogspot.com/2013/09/our-potatoes.html

We also have a greenhouse with glass as well as a solar chimney connected to a food drying box. The hot air collector is from materials I used 35 years ago when I built solar hot air panels.
http://sunweber.blogspot.com/2012/11/ho ... _2431.html
sunweb
Peat
Peat

Unread postby eastbay » Tue 13 May 2014, 18:54:14

Pops wrote:Thanks EB, the passivehaus standards are at least as important in my humble opinion as all the other laser-farting unicorns put together.

The real "Solar Revolution" started 5k years ago with the invention of glass and finished up 70 or 80 years ago with the invention of fiberglass insulation.

Everything else is detail, lol

Good solid reminders, Pops. The trick will be to enable humans to, on a mass scale, live in hot and cold climate comfort during our common transition into a post-carbon world. Energy and resource waste of any kind will not be permissible. The passivehaus standards represent a decent start, but only a start, and bearing in mind that we have to start somewhere, I wonder what percent of new home construction in the world is now built to this standard?
Got Dharma?

Everything is Impermanent. Shakyamuni Buddha
eastbay
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Pops » Tue 13 May 2014, 19:23:18

I've read a little about the passivehaus standard and it is very stringent, concentrating on super tight construction. The blower door test on a PH would show an air leak rate about the same as the margin of error on measuring most houses, LOL

Highline windows and high R-value wall assemblies along with the extra time to make sure everything is super tight comes at a price though. I'd think not a whole lot of these homes have been built, tens of thousands at most as a WAG.

But, like anything else, the perfect doesn't have to be the enemy of the good. Not everyone can afford a triple-glazed super low U window unit, let alone a house full. Same with a double 2x4 party-wall with 16 inches of insulation. But I think as time goes by what is considered standard will rise - and probably what is considered big enough square footage will fall.
The legitimate object of government, is to do for a community of people, whatever they need to have done, but can not do, at all, or can not, so well do, for themselves -- in their separate, and individual capacities.
-- Abraham Lincoln, Fragment on Government (July 1, 1854)
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby Ulenspiegel » Wed 14 May 2014, 06:54:02

@Pops

Your number for passive houses is correct, we are talking about a few ten thousands, including projects that were not certificated, because the ownres wanted to save money or the houses that missed the bar for energy demand by a small margin.

OTOH you can use some of the priciples from the PH and build a more conventional building, with a good ground source heat pump you actually beat a PH with NG for space heating, however, the costs are not so much lower.
Ulenspiegel
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby Subjectivist » Wed 30 Nov 2016, 19:28:05

Is this the system KaiserJeep keeps posting about?
II Chronicles 7:14 if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.
Subjectivist
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby KaiserJeep » Wed 30 Nov 2016, 21:58:33

Subjectivist wrote:Is this the system KaiserJeep keeps posting about?

Yes. The PassivHaus standard (which in spite of the name applies to all offices, public buildings, and factories in addition to residences) originated in Europe and is now spreading to the USA and Canada.

The basic idea is to require a level of insulation, air tightness, and efficient HVAC systems combined with passive solar design. Energy consumption is reduced to 10% of a typical building code compliant structure, along with humidity and air exchange standards that keep the interior healthy and clean.

IMHO PassivHaus is not enough. The energy standards should also be combined with workmanship standards and material selection that result in a structure that will last a century or more. I am surrounded by tract houses built in the 1960's that need to be torn down and replaced.

The extra cost to do things right - both energy goals and quality construction - is 30 to 35 percent more than comparable code compliance, and 25% more than Energy Star compliance. These types of structures need to be mandated IMHO.

Once the power down occurs, the average person cannot afford to heat and cool a normal residence. The wood is all gone in a few years, and then only those in PassivHaus structures have central HVAC. Everybody else wears their woolies and huddles under electric blankets.

Try to imagine living in the house you are in with no hydrocarbon fuels (oil, natural gas, propane, wood, pellets, etc.) and electricity that is very expensive. Now fix your problem in five years or less. Simple.
KaiserJeep 2.0, Neural Subnode 0010 0000 0001 0110 - 1001 0011 0011, Tertiary Adjunct to Unimatrix 0000 0000 0001

Resistance is Futile, YOU will be Assimilated.

Warning: Messages timestamped before April 1, 2016, 06:00 PST were posted by the unmodified human KaiserJeep 1.0
KaiserJeep
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Return to Book/Media Reviews