Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

North American Regional Reorganization

For discussions of events and conditions not necessarily related to Peak Oil.

Re: North American Regional Reorganization

Unread postby Nickel » Mon 27 Oct 2008, 08:57:25

ReverseEngineer wrote:I believe the US, Canada and Mexico may reorganize into 8 Regional Trade Entities... I'll work around the continent with the 8 proposed Regions.

It's a fun game, but if you're getting rid of the east-west ties of national governments, well, Manitoba has definitely got a lot more in common with places like Saskatchewan and Montana than it does with Ontario and Michigan. Honestly, I don't think you can cut things up as neatly as that. New York, for instance, has its Mid-Atlantic, New England, and Midwestern aspects. Ohio, Pennsylvania, Quebec, and Ontario are also places I know that are artificially intra-associated. The lines are arbitrary, but in a situation you're talking about, people would probably have to forget about that kind of thing and gravitate towards other people like themselves.

Alternatively, the whole place might wind up under some sort of overarching confederate agreement that would leave the national and constitutional niceties in place for show, but in practice would effectively call the shots. Frankly, I think that's a more likely (or at least more immediate) outcome in this day and age than collapse, disassociation, and decay.
Nickel
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Previous

Return to Geopolitics & Global Economics