Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

New internet currency Bitcoin grows in popularity

For discussions of events and conditions not necessarily related to Peak Oil.

Re: New internet currency Bitcoin grows in popularity

Unread postby careinke » Sat 20 Jun 2015, 05:22:16

Strummer wrote:
careinke wrote:1. There is only a finite amount of a crypto currency and the amount is known.

Yeah, except it takes about 10 seconds to create a brand-new cryptocurrency from a template.

Your point?

Are you saying every time a new cryptocurrency is put out, everyone will have to switch over?

Although your statement is correct, I don't see it as a problem.
Cliff (Start a rEVOLution, grow a garden)
careinke
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby Strummer » Sat 20 Jun 2015, 05:40:08

careinke wrote:
Strummer wrote:
careinke wrote:1. There is only a finite amount of a crypto currency and the amount is known.

Yeah, except it takes about 10 seconds to create a brand-new cryptocurrency from a template.

Your point?

The point is that the statement about the "finite amount" is plainly wrong, becaus there's absolutely nothing tha would prevent any or all market participants form switching to any other currency (of which there is an infinite amount) at any point it suits them.
Strummer
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Sun 21 Jun 2015, 13:35:27

Strummer wrote:
careinke wrote:
Strummer wrote:

Your point?

The point is that the statement about the "finite amount" is plainly wrong, becaus there's absolutely nothing tha would prevent any or all market participants form switching to any other currency (of which there is an infinite amount) at any point it suits them.

Right. And that's what makes crypto-currencies fundamentally no different than paper currencies (as opposed to say, gold or silver). There is nothing to limit politicians from abusing them and making them fiat (as a group), once countries/governments get into the act.

And until governments endorse them, the murkiness as to what the rules (i.e. regulations, legality) etc. will be make the risk of holding traditional fiat currencies look like a family picnic.
Given the track record of the perma-doomer blogs, I wouldn't bet a fast crash doomer's money on their predictions.
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

Unread postby careinke » Mon 22 Jun 2015, 12:39:05

Crypto currency IS a fiat currency.

The point of cryptocurrency is to decentralize banking not centralize it. You don't need govt approval to use it, create it or control it. That is just propaganda brainwashed into you by the powers that be. Until you understand that basic concept, you might as well go back to polishing your chains.

There are already at least five cryptocurrencies out there right now. Adding more is the equivalent of adding another brand of cereal to the store shelves, it does not necessarily mean the new cereal is going to replace all the other cereals out there. Heck, if you count all currencies there are hundreds out there. So the argument that the creation of a currency will automatically make other currencies worthless, is a straw man.

The US dollar is designed to continually lose value (and it does a great job of it). Probably not a good vehicle to store your wealth in.
careinke
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby dinopello » Thu 01 Oct 2015, 09:21:40

My neighborhood is getting its first Bitcoin ATM

I didn't even realize Bitcoin was still a thing. Unlike a traditional ATM that give you cash it sounds like this one you put the cash in. Brilliant!

The Bitcoin ATM helps consumers buy Bitcoin using cash. Once the consumer deposits cash, the machine can either print out a paper wallet or scan your existing digital wallet on your cell phone to transfer the Bitcoin.
dinopello
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby careinke » Sun 21 May 2017, 02:51:13

Check out the prices of both Bitcoin and Ethereum over the last couple of months. Even Bill gates is using Ethereum.

https://www.coinbase.com/charts

It may be a fad, (Not), but I'm making money on it.
careinke
Volunteer
Volunteer

Economic Collapse: Will Cryptocurrency Save the Financial Sy

Unread postby AdamB » Wed 31 Jan 2018, 18:09:16

Where to go from here? If trust and sustainability were the two conditions that allowed for the transition from physical gold to paper currency, it is from this basis that we must start to analyze where we are going and what effects the next economic crisis could have. In 2008, confidence in central banks saved the global economy. But as Mario Draghi said, the bazooka of quantitative easing was fired and a second hit during a crisis would have proved ineffective. The reason is complex and must be clearly explained. Most people are paid in a currency deposited in the bank, because that is where one keeps one’s currency, able to withdraw it at any time. But in the event of an economic crisis, priority is given to the banks, whatever remaining liquidity being for the customers. The reason why there was no

Economic Collapse: Will Cryptocurrency Save the Financial System?
Plant Thu 27 Jul 2023 "Personally I think the IEA is exactly right when they predict peak oil in the 2020s, especially because it matches my own predictions."

Plant Wed 11 Apr 2007 "I think Deffeyes might have nailed it, and we are just past the overall peak in oil production. (Thanksgiving 2005)"
AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby Cog » Thu 01 Feb 2018, 00:30:24

Yeah no thanks. I can lose money a lot slower in the stock market. ;)

$9,942.04
Bitcoin price
−$3,398.72
Since last month (USD)

−25.47%
Since last month (%)
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Thu 01 Feb 2018, 18:46:04

Cog wrote:Yeah no thanks. I can lose money a lot slower in the stock market. ;)

$9,942.04
Bitcoin price
−$3,398.72
Since last month (USD)

−25.47%
Since last month (%)

Yup.

Remember how in 2008, people around here were declaring the end of the financial world with the stock markets down about 50%?

Now with Bitcoin down over 50% (from nearly $20,000 to under $9000 ($9060 when I just checked)), how enthusiastic are the "get into crypto NOW NOW NOW" folks)?

https://www.coindesk.com/900-20000-bitc ... revisited/

https://www.coindesk.com/2-month-low-bi ... -drops-9k/

From what I'm seeing, the futures market allowing price discovery (via shorting) in Bitcoin, and in a regulated market with financial backing and protection unlike the various coin exchanges subject to hacking, fraud, etc., it looks like the worm has turned for this mania.
Given the track record of the perma-doomer blogs, I wouldn't bet a fast crash doomer's money on their predictions.
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

Re: Bitcoin reaches $1,000

Unread postby longpig » Sun 11 Nov 2018, 06:11:20

longpig wrote:Bitcoin is stupid to invest in, you are best off buying gold. There are no real gold substitutes for money but for Bitcoin there are hundreds of near to identical types of crypto currencies. Yes Bitcoins are limited in supply but the number of other crypto currencies that are identical or similar to it can be unlimited.

The fact is when people see Bitcoins as too expensive they will move to buy other 'cheaper' crypto currencies instead. I am surprised it hasn't greatly happened yet.

Bitcoin vs Gold boils down to this. There are no real gold substitutes but there are plenty of bitcoin substitutes and the number can be unlimited.

Gold = Toilet paper limited in supply and can not be reproduced.

Bitcoin = Major brand of toilet paper that is very expensive only because people are too stupid to switch to a cheaper brand yet. Other crypto currencies are producing plenty and is only a matter of time before the market place is flooded with crypto's and they all become worthless.

:oops: :oops: :oops:

I'm still against cryptos based on my above reasoning's.
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true - by the wise as false - and by the rulers as useful."
Lucius Annaeus Seneca
longpig
Peat
Peat

Re: Bitcoin reaches $1,000

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Sun 11 Nov 2018, 13:31:11

longpig wrote:2013
longpig wrote:Bitcoin is stupid to invest in, you are best off buying gold. There are no real gold substitutes for money but for Bitcoin there are hundreds of near to identical types of crypto currencies. Yes Bitcoins are limited in supply but the number of other crypto currencies that are identical or similar to it can be unlimited.

The fact is when people see Bitcoins as too expensive they will move to buy other 'cheaper' crypto currencies instead. I am surprised it hasn't greatly happened yet.

Bitcoin vs Gold boils down to this. There are no real gold substitutes but there are plenty of bitcoin substitutes and the number can be unlimited.

Gold = Toilet paper limited in supply and can not be reproduced.

Bitcoin = Major brand of toilet paper that is very expensive only because people are too stupid to switch to a cheaper brand yet. Other crypto currencies are producing plenty and is only a matter of time before the market place is flooded with crypto's and they all become worthless.

:oops: :oops: :oops:

I'm still against cryptos based on my above reasoning's.

Agreed 100% on the value of gold being largely based on its rare, compact, and nonvolatile nature. (There are imperfect substitutes, like diamonds or metals like platinum -- but they have significant downsides over time.)

This is another angle on what I've been saying all along, re cryptocurrencies. (And there are already a large "herd" of cryptos. Both legit, and (former) fraudulent ones, BTW.)

For major economies (at least), cryptocurrencies/usage WILL be monitored and regulated by the governments to ensure they can tax the population. Despite all the denial about this from some crypto advocates, it is already happening, re entities like the IRS. They're all over this, and there are lots of articles about it.

So, at some point, IF crypto vs., say, Visa etc. becomes the new standard -- WHICH crypto(s) will major governments approve? A new one (or several) that they invent? If you guess wrong, the long term value of any cryptos you invest in WILL approach zero.

Think you can confidently and accurately predict what the governments will do re crypto policy, and the timing? Given how hard it is to do meaningful tax planning in the real world, due to many unpredictable rule changes -- good luck with that.

I would argue that, semantics aside, we already now basically have a crypto system for modern currency, available all over the developed world. I call it the Visa/Mastercard network, enabled by modern chipped cards. If it turns out not to be secure enough, they can always improve it, just as the chips themselves were a much needed improvement. The problems of transaction cost, handling volume, reliability, etc. are already pretty much solved. You DON'T need a blockchain to do that.

But I know, don't tell a strongly bullish crypto advocate that -- since they don't want to hear it.
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Sun 11 Nov 2018, 13:37:27

Anyone noticed how relatively quiet the bitcoin (and similar cryptos) price has been in recent months? Maybe the vast majority of people have calmed down and adopted a "wait and see" attitude vs. the manic "I'm sure I'll be wealthy from cryptos real soon now?"

Not that this price history stops the self-appointed talking heads from making wild predictions.

Somehow, the phrase "buyer beware" comes to mind when I see headlines like the following. Because, like yeah, I'm so SURE this person is honest, and has NO axe to grind re his prediction. :roll: Especially given how fraud free the entire cryptocurrency saga has been. :!:

https://cointelegraph.com/news/tim-drap ... 0k-in-2022

(I'd actually sooner make a bet that the space adapted transport turtles capable of carrying a herd of (tiny -- unsure of the scale) herd of spade adapted elephants on its back are a reality in 2022 (re the picture with the article), quicker than I'll believe this price prediction. After all, gene splicing is a real scientific accomplishment, and we've seen remarkable progress in that area relative to progress in making crypto the modern currency standard (in the real world)).
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

Unread postby careinke » Fri 08 Mar 2024, 02:49:51

I'd forgotten about this thread.

Go back and read it from the beginning. Six String could have bought BTC for $8.00 a coin, he mentioned throwing $500.00 at it. lets see if he had done that and held it he would now have 62.5 BTC, and it would be worth $4,195,125.00 soon to be over $6.2 Million.

I don't show up until page 2, but my prediction of a country adopting Cryptocurrency within 10 years certainly came true. :)

Some people are slow learners. Take heart, it's still very early, and you are still welcome.

Peace
careinke
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby mousepad » Fri 08 Mar 2024, 10:16:40

careinke wrote:Go back and read it from the beginning. Six String could have bought BTC for $8.00 a coin, he mentioned throwing $500.00 at it. lets see if he had done that and held it he would now have 62.5 BTC, and it would be worth $4,195,125.00 soon to be over $6.2 Million.

Does that mean if we only all bought btc we'd all be rich and wouldn't have to work anymore? But who then work if nobody had to work anymore? It's mystery.
Grown men fall for this stuff. Truly a mystery.

El Salvador adopted bitcoin. What does that mean? Can I go to a salvadorian coffee shop and buy a coffee using bitcoin?
A bit coin transaction costs $8 according to this https://ycharts.com/indicators/bitcoin_ ... action_fee
Does that mean I have to pay $8.50 for a $0.50 coffee in el salvador?

One single bit coin transaction can consume 1.2MWh of energy.

It's a mystery that grown men fall for this stuff. It's a mystery that in a resource constrained world some men think spending 1MWh of energy is acceptable for simply buying coffee.
mousepad
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby careinke » Fri 08 Mar 2024, 13:05:04

mousepad wrote:
careinke wrote:Go back and read it from the beginning. Six String could have bought BTC for $8.00 a coin, he mentioned throwing $500.00 at it. lets see if he had done that and held it he would now have 62.5 BTC, and it would be worth $4,195,125.00 soon to be over $6.2 Million.

Does that mean if we only all bought btc we'd all be rich and wouldn't have to work anymore? Yes But who then work if nobody had to work anymore? Everyone on this board, since no one bought any. It's mystery.
Grown men fall for this stuff. Truly a mystery. Mostly rich smart people, but if you have an SMS phone there are no barriers.

El Salvador adopted bitcoin. What does that mean? It means the U.S. dollar and BTC are their national currencies.Can I go to a salvadorian coffee shop and buy a coffee using bitcoin? Yes
A bit coin transaction costs $8 according to this https://ycharts.com/indicators/bitcoin_ ... action_fee
Does that mean I have to pay $8.50 for a $0.50 coffee in el salvador? No. Most people using BTC this way have a Protocall called Lightning in their wallet which completes the transaction in less than a second and costs less than a cent.

One single bit coin transaction can consume 1.2MWh of energy. $67,000.00 will buy a lot of coffee. Most of BTC is produced from cheaper sources that are environmentally sound like solar, wind, hydro, orphaned energy, nuclear power etc, etc. In El Salvidor their power source will soon be volcanos. If you calculated an ESG score for BTC it would be very low.

It's a mystery that grown men fall for this stuff. It's a mystery that in a resource constrained world some men think spending 1MWh of energy is acceptable for simply buying coffee. Enjoy being poor.

Peace
careinke
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby mousepad » Fri 08 Mar 2024, 13:53:24

careinke wrote: Most people using BTC this way have a Protocall called Lightning

https://github.com/davidshares/Lightning-Network
Unfortunately, the Lightning Network has been a disappointment since its inception in 2015. It has been an utter failure and has not delivered, and instead has led to centralization and reliance on custodial services and third-party companies. We have decided to stop following the development of the Lightning Network in this repository, as we believe it is a waste of time and resources.

Crazy. What an utter crap this crypto is. A few fanbois ripping each other off in a ponzi scheme. Crazy. Grown men falling for this stuff. The same grown men that are allowed to vote. No wonder this society goes down the shit drain.
mousepad
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Previous

Return to Geopolitics & Global Economics